Train Departure Announcement Generator and Soundscape Software

Hawksey

7 minutes ago, InterCitySpud said:

Is it true the female voice used almost incessantly today in every London mainline and tube station is called Sonia?

Get Sonia nerves.

The announcer used inside trains on some lines in the early 2000s was nicknamed "Sonia" because the intonation pattern was very irritating. This was replaced after a few years with a different style, which is much less annoying.

:dancer: Departure Announcement Generator British Rail version is now available for download :dancer:

https://www.pipnbean.com/product/train-announcement-generator-british-railways-demo/

This evaluation has the following limitations:
This is a time limited (3 days) demo of the Train Departure Announcement Generator BR

Only stations beginning with the letter 'A' will be available to use

Upgrade to the full unlimited version by purchasing a licence key

This will install as the full working version for anyone that has installed the previous version and purchased a licence key (on the same PC)

No user instructions yet but I'm sure you can figure most of it out!

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 1

36 minutes ago, JohnR said:

HI Phil,

I've tried to use the Demo but it says my trial has expired. 

Is this because I downloaded the original version for trial?  Its really the BR 70s/80s version I wanted. 

Hi John

Sorry about that...I missed a comma out in ~60000 lines of code!

If you uninstall, re-download from the website and re-install it should now work ok

Phil

Edited by Hawksey
  • Like 2

I logged into my account, I have a paid for key, and ordered the new version which went through and shows as order complete but no down load. 
Order number #942.

Using the link in the email takes you to a page that just says no file defined. 

Any suggestions please. 

7 minutes ago, two tone green said:

I logged into my account, I have a paid for key, and ordered the new version which went through and shows as order complete but no down load. 
Order number #942.

Using the link in the email takes you to a page that just says no file defined. 

Any suggestions please. 

Hi Andy

Probably a glitch on the website as I've been updating stuff

I've refreshed your order if you can try again...if it still doesn't work just start a new order.

When you do get it installed send me the system id code and I'll generate a free new unlock code for you as your old one won't work on it.

regards

Phil

Thanks Phil. Key received and it’s seems to work well. Thanks

By way of a suggestion, could we have in the service selection box ‘nothing’ so it does not announce anything for the service just the rest of the info. 

Would fit in a bit better for my late 50’s early 60’s era of my layout for some of the operations I have in mind. Thanks. 

28 minutes ago, two tone green said:

Thanks Phil. Key received and it’s seems to work well. Thanks

By way of a suggestion, could we have in the service selection box ‘nothing’ so it does not announce anything for the service just the rest of the info. 

Would fit in a bit better for my late 50’s early 60’s era of my layout for some of the operations I have in mind. Thanks. 

It's already there...sort of

Just select 'Service' (bottom of second column). It will then just say "the 12:35 service to wherever"

I'll send you a replacement file that says To instead of Service to, but afaik announcements were never made like that.

The 08 30 to London could sound like the 08 32. That's why they always have 08 30 service to or 08 30 train to.

Phil

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On announcements: this video has a wonderful snippet of an announcement in London Waterloo in 1944 from which we can have some glimpse of how announcements worked in such distant times:

"...the 10.24 for Camberly and Reading will leave from platform 21, calling at Richmond, Twickenham, Whitton..."

Edited by jamespetts
Better part of the video
  • Informative/Useful 1

43 minutes ago, two tone green said:

Hi, I looked at the film Terminus which has some good announcements as well. 

Excellent! At this point, we get,

"The Cunard liner Queen Elizabeth boat train to Southampton Docks will leave from platform 11..."

Also, at this point, we get,

"Here is a special announcement. The steamship Victoria Castle boat train has been delayed and is now expected to arrive at 12.55."

Slightly later, at this point, we get,

"Steamship Victoria Castle boat train is now approaching platform 11."

Here, we get,

"...west of England train will leave from platform 10, calling at Andover Junction, Salisbury, Templecombe, Sherbourne, Yeovil Junction, Exeter Central, Exeter St. David's, ???, ???, North Taunton, Okehampton, Bridstow, Lidford, Brentall, Tavistock, Alston, St. Budoe, Devenport, Plymouth, Newton St. ???, Crediton, Copplestone, ???, Lapford, ???, ????, ???., Barnstaple Junction, Barnstaple Town, ????, Braunton..."

Here, we have,

"...3.20 to Bournemouth West and Weymouth will leave from platform 10. Passengers for Bournemouth West, travel in the rear portion. First and second class refreshments car facilities are available on this train."

At this point, we get,

"Her Majesty's Ship Oxfordshire's boat train is now approaching platform 11..."

Here, we get,

"Here is a special announcement. Will Mrs. Perry, who has lost her small son, Matthew, please go to the stationmaster's office, which is alongside platform 16. Calling Mrs. Perry, would you please go to the stationmaster's office, which is alongside platform 16."

Edited by jamespetts

• RMweb Gold
On 21/11/2021 at 16:42, jamespetts said:

Here, we get,

"...west of England train will leave from platform 10, calling at Andover Junction, Salisbury, Templecombe, Sherbourne, Yeovil Junction, Exeter Central, Exeter St. David's, ???, ???, North Taunton, Okehampton, Bridstow, Lidford, Brentall, Tavistock, Alston, St. Budoe, Devenport, Plymouth, Newton St. ???, Crediton, Copplestone, ???, Lapford, ???, ????, ???., Barnstaple Junction, Barnstaple Town, ????, Braunton..."

A great clip, and for completeness:

"...west of England train will leave from platform 10, calling at Andover Junction, Salisbury, Templecombe, Sherbourne, Yeovil Junction, Exeter Central, Exeter St. David's, Yeoford, Bow, North Tawton, Okehampton, Bridstowe, Lydford, Brentor, Tavistock, Bere Alston, St. Budeaux, Devonport, Plymouth, Newton St. Cryes, Crediton, Copplestone, Morchard Road, Lapford, Eggesford, King’s Nympton, Portsmouth Arms, Umberleigh, Barnstaple Junction, Barnstaple Town, Wrafton, Braunton, Mortehoe & Woolacombe..."

Roy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil,

As I’ve said before this would be great if it could be an app for the iPad. I don’t want to do it via a windows host.

I would be looking for a 1930’s plumy BBC type voice, which I think you said you have found.

However, will you be adding a “please change at X for stations to Y”

Thanks, Neal.