How to separate wheels from Tank Loco.

I hope I have the right section. I have a Hornby Tank loco that has a worn worm & worm wheel. I have bought the spare parts. I have the wheels out of the loco but how do I separate the two wheels from each other in order to take out & replace the worm wheel? Is there a special tool or can one be made? Thanks for any help.

34 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If we are talking about an old X04 motor, there is a special tool you can get called a worm puller to get the worm off the shaft.  It can be done using pliers, but you have to be very careful to avoid damaging the armature.

Thank you. It's the 0-6-0 tank in the Hornby mixed freight set. My next question was going to be the worm on the motor, but first I want the wheels separated so I can replace the worm wheel, any ideas?

You can use a vice with a small diameter drift to separate the wheels from the axle.

Place the complete axle vertically in the vice with the upper most wheel supported by the jaws of the vice. Do not grip on the worm wheel.

Gently drift the axle out.

You may require a piece of steel plate or angle with a slot in it to place between the back of the wheel and the top of the vice jaws.

• Like 1