Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 26

HealeyMills

Weekday Cross - perhaps you need to look a little closer at the Dapol loco as I can assure you the bogies, cabside windows, bogie steps, radiator grille are all as per the Dapol model. The loco has been resprayed and weathered by Mercig (see earlier posts in this thread) with speedo cable added, oval buffers, air lines to air brake tank frame and bufffer beam pipes/ detail. For further info please see http://www.mercigstudios.com/

No offence taken - it is the Dapol class 26, I have the receipt to prove it!

Sorry - it really did look different to me to the one on the Hattons site - Mercig have obviously done a really good job and brought out the detail, I guess! You are very lucky to have such a well finished model!

Sincere apologies!

I meant to reply to these earlier but became side-tracked:

Super pics and a super layout.

Any other pics of it and details?

G.

Thank you Grahame - coming from yourself that is a compliment indeed. I haven't managed to get a layout thread together yet... perhaps one day I will. I desperately need a name for my layout before I do I suppose.

I agree - the track and ballasting is some of the best I've seen in N.I assume its Peco code 55 ? Are those mainline curves super-elevated ?

D1059 - if super-elevated means banked, then yes they are. I just used some thin strips of plastic between the sleepers and baseboard (on the outer edges only).

Ooo-dear seem to have gone Off Topic... sorry Mods!

Cheers

Lee

Edited by HealeyMills

....... I desperately need a name for my layout before I do I suppose.

Don't know if its intended but the pictures you've posted really really remind me of Carstairs for some reason, I guess its the blue 26 and OHLE although I don't suppose 001 would have been down there all that often. I must have saw 001 a thousand miles on the Cockenzie MGR loop.

• RMweb Gold
If it's anything like the class 153 then it's not easy but it is possible: From memory, remove the roof. Undo the screws that hold the PCB in place. Carefully lever out the windows and seating (cast metal on the power car, plastic on the dummy). You'll also need to remove the lighting blocks from the cab end - there's a peice of plastic that clips them in place. Be carefull with these - it's very easy to snap the short lengths of optic-fibre as they stick in the holes in the body shell. The body is a very tight clip fit onto the chassis - there are two are three spaces that help maintain the fit of the body along its long length that are a pain and might get broken. With the clips removed the body lifts off from the chassis - watch out for the wiring to the DCC socket. Rebuilding it is done in the reverse order. It's not for the faint hearted (potentially expensive!). Having stripped two class 153s for conversion to a class 155 it's not something I'd like to do again any time soon. Happy modelling. Steven B.

:offtopic:

Sorry folks...bit of topic...but Dapol related...

Thanks Steven for the detailed instructions...I did it this morning and whilst I couldn't get the light cluster back in on the driving end, it all works and I now have my RR set powered using another by swapping the chassis...of course the RR 156 is now available again so I could have just sat it out!

Back on 26's...

I am in the process of completing my TPM class 26/1 which will have the disc codes...it already looks good placed next to the Dapol one.

:offtopic:

Sorry folks...bit of topic...but Dapol related...

Thanks Steven for the detailed instructions...I did it this morning and whilst I couldn't get the light cluster back in on the driving end, it all works and I now have my RR set powered using another by swapping the chassis...of course the RR 156 is now available again so I could have just sat it out!

Back on 26's...

I am in the process of completing my TPM class 26/1 which will have the disc codes...it already looks good placed next to the Dapol one.

Can I ask whose disc codes you use? I assume being TPM it came with the TPM ones themselves? are they nice and fine?

Just that I am coincidentally online this morning to try and obtain a set for a class 44, with a view to doing my 26 as and when it arrives?

• RMweb Gold

Can I ask whose disc codes you use? I assume being TPM it came with the TPM ones themselves? are they nice and fine?

Hi MHB,

Yep, TPM...they are (as are all things from Bernard) very fine and nicely detailed.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just picked up a green model, nice little loco this! Only problem is there is no guide to where all the pipes go, is this online somewhere or can anyone post a suitable picture, and should they all be fitted to a loco in original 60's condition?

Thanks for any help, cheers, Richard

... green model ... no guide to where all the pipes go, is this online somewhere ...

Hi Richard,

There seems to be some useful photos on the 6LDA website (mostly blue era, but here's a green one showing the pipes: http://6lda.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/5303haymarket600.jpg?w=500&h=366) as well as individual loco histories. I came across the site as a result of your post, so thanks a lot!

Does the green-livery model have ploughs, train heating water tank instead of air, oval buffers etc, and what are the cab windows/doors like? I haven't seen one in the flesh.

cheers

Graham

Does the green-livery model have ploughs, train heating water tank instead of air, oval buffers etc, and what are the cab windows/doors like? I haven't seen one in the flesh.

Is it a model of the late green repaints (for their final runs in 1993) or are we talking 1960s green era?

Hi Bernard,

Our model is of the 1960's era class 26 with leaf spring bogies, open door window (not plated), square bogie footsteps, correct roof shoulder grilles, nose doors (not plated/ welded) drop down cab side windows etc oh and disc headcodes.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Hi Bernard,

Our model is of the 1960's era class 26 with leaf spring bogies, open door window (not plated), square bogie footsteps, correct roof shoulder grilles, nose doors (not plated/ welded) drop down cab side windows etc oh and disc headcodes.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Is there a drool smiley?

Mines is ordered and due soon I hope!!

Edited by millerhillboy

Is there a drool smiley?

Mines is ordered and due soon I hope!!

Hattons have e-mailed to say mine is despatched.

Based on the BR blue one I have had a chance to "play" with and all the pics I have seen to date of the green one, I can't wait for it to arrive!

Roy

Hattons have e-mailed to say mine is despatched.

Based on the BR blue one I have had a chance to "play" with and all the pics I have seen to date of the green one, I can't wait for it to arrive!

Roy

Well, as hoped mine was indeed there waiting when I got home from work today.

It certainly has a "wow" factor about it looks wise - a very fine model indeed and a credit to Dave Jones and his Team.

I oiled it as per the instructions then gave it a run. Performance wise I cannot fault it - silky smooth, whisper quiet in operation, I would say up with the best.

Mine is though sadly tembered with a bit of a disappointment. On the very first lap there was a wisp of smoke and now the lights only work in one direction I assume a bit of iffy soldering on the PCB somewhere

Given the overwhelmingly positive reviews, for once I have just been unlucky I think.

My dilemma is what to do now. Do I send it back which will be a hassle? Or do I put on the disc codes one end and live with it (I am not fussed about the tail lights because I think I am right in saying back in the 1960's they were not used, a good old fashioned oil lamp being hung on instead).

I will ponder what to do tonight, but to be clear, even allowing for this issue on mine, it is a great model.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Sorry to hear the bad news, and yes it sounds like dodgy soldering.

I have a replacement in the office with your name on it do please send it off to me and I'll immediately replace it for you.

Cheers and sorry again

Dave

Hi Dave

Thank you, the offer is very much appreciated and I shall take you up on it.

I will post it back to you on Monday.

Do you need a copy of the Hattons receipt to be sent with it?

Cheers

Roy

P.S. These things happen, and for anyone reading this thread I do want to stress that I am not criticising this model I really like it.

Edited by Roy L S

Hi Roy, no receipt needed as i have been following your excitement regarding this model and know its providence :locomotive: cheers Dave

Hi Dave

In the Post to you First Class Recorded this morning, marked for your personal attention..

Hopefully it will be with you Monday.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help..

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, collected green and grey 26 from postie and agree with all lovely models and - sorry Roy both ran a treat! I am looking forward to adding pipes. Good selection of pics at the ready . Both oiled and run for over an hour last night and wisper quiet with great slow running. All I need do now is swap 26015 body on to the green d5301 chassis for its time in the far north - or I can wait for a bit and do its later boiler version with round buffers. such fun to be had...

Robert

Hi all, collected green and grey 26 from postie and agree with all lovely models and - sorry Roy both ran a treat! I am looking forward to adding pipes. Good selection of pics at the ready . Both oiled and run for over an hour last night and wisper quiet with great slow running. All I need do now is swap 26015 body on to the green d5301 chassis for its time in the far north - or I can wait for a bit and do its later boiler version with round buffers. such fun to be had...

Robert

Hi Robert

Mine ran beautifully from the off, as I said the one and only issue on mine was that the lights would only work in one direction, and I was half tempted to keep it notwithstanding!

I was in a glum mood putting it in the post back to Dave yesterday and am very much looking forward to getting it's replacement.

Cheers

Roy

Robert

Mesage for Dapol Dave

Royal Mail Track and Trace say the 26 has been delivered back to you today.

In the covering letter sent with it is my e-mail address and I'd be grateful if you could e-mail me directly when the replacement is on the way back to me.

Many thanks

Roy