Class 26

HealeyMills

• RMweb Gold

I guess most people will renumber their loco to personalise it so the size issue can always be addressed then as its a cosmetic issue and not one I am going to lose any sleep over!

Lee - Thanks - Yes its Easitrac from the 2mm Association - it really makes a difference for trackwork at this scale.

Don - Thanks also...with a 24, 26 and 37...who could want for more!

Edited by bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

My blue Class 26 arrived these week. And Yesterday I run it in on my test circuit. Today now I wanted to fit the DCC chip. But I can't manage to get the chassis out of the shell, I only managed to unclip the plastic floor of the loco. But the chassis stay in the loco. Did anyone disassembled his loco to fit a DCC chip and could help me?

yours

Markus

• RMweb Gold

My blue Class 26 arrived these week. And Yesterday I run it in on my test circuit. Today now I wanted to fit the DCC chip. But I can't manage to get the chassis out of the shell, I only managed to unclip the plastic floor of the loco. But the chassis stay in the loco. Did anyone disassembled his loco to fit a DCC chip and could help me?

Funny you should say that Markus...I test ran mine last night for 30 mins each way, but I noticed the lights were not working in one end. I tried to take the body off the chassis (as described in the instructions) and first the battery box cover came off in my hand...then the bogies...then the plastic underframe which clips in beneath that....but not the body.

I kept pulling but was worried I was going to break something...so gave up...

I could see one of the wires has come unsoldered and I don't mind to redo it rather then send it back to Hattons from Spain...its just...I can't get at it :O

Anyone else managed to detach said components yet?

Mind you...that said, I still have not managed to detach the 156 body from the chassis either...perhaps its a non tamper policy...

Hi everyone,

the body is rather a tight fit on the chassis and the best way (watch your fingers) is a blade between the body side and the chassis and gently lever it apart and up.

It should come free quite easily after that.

Warning though, there is very little slack on the amount of wires that connect the lights to the chassis and to hard a 'pull' will possibly break the wires and be a pig to fix. so gently does it please.

The 156 is a different beast altogether and wasnt really designed to be user friendly in removing the chassis.

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

the body is rather a tight fit on the chassis and the best way (watch your fingers) is a blade between the body side and the chassis and gently lever it apart and up.

It should come free quite easily after that.

Warning though, there is very little slack on the amount of wires that connect the lights to the chassis and to hard a 'pull' will possibly break the wires and be a pig to fix. so gently does it please.

The 156 is a different beast altogether and wasnt really designed to be user friendly in removing the chassis.

Thanks for your sharpish response Dave - thats very helpful.

So I was sort of right about the 156 then... :D

A few pics of the BR Blue class 26. One of the best running locos I have, not to mention its outstanding looks:

post-4186-0-41250800-1317850941_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-76075400-1317850978_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-72664800-1317851020_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-28298900-1317851058_thumb.jpg

Patiently waiting for the release of bogie frame/ boiler water tank spares to do more variants of this crazy class of loco ;)

Cheers

Lee

• Like 5

loco looks superb there, but so does that layout.

Agreed on both counts.

The 26 appears to have received universally good reports (and more importantly as far as I am aware absolutely nothing bad has been said anywehere). In terms of looks from these pics especially I can see why - superb. I must order a green one...

The layout is so neatly and crisply modelled with lovely attention to detail, things like the ballast shoulders cabling trunking and track/ballast colouring.

Roy

Edited by Roy L S

Thank you for the compliments re: layout.

The 26 appears to have received universally good reports (and more importantly as far as I am aware absolutely nothing bad has been said anywehere)

I can vouch for the loco running, yesterday 26001 completed the 7metres of my layout in approx 6.5mins... crawling non-stop! Definitely no complaints here :no:

...just running in the three others at the moment on the rollers. They are just superb straight from the box :clapping_mini:

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

If it's anything like the class 153 then it's not easy but it is possible:

From memory, remove the roof. Undo the screws that hold the PCB in place. Carefully lever out the windows and seating (cast metal on the power car, plastic on the dummy). You'll also need to remove the lighting blocks from the cab end - there's a peice of plastic that clips them in place. Be carefull with these - it's very easy to snap the short lengths of optic-fibre as they stick in the holes in the body shell.

The body is a very tight clip fit onto the chassis - there are two are three spaces that help maintain the fit of the body along its long length that are a pain and might get broken.

With the clips removed the body lifts off from the chassis - watch out for the wiring to the DCC socket.

Rebuilding it is done in the reverse order. It's not for the faint hearted (potentially expensive!). Having stripped two class 153s for conversion to a class 155 it's not something I'd like to do again any time soon.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Thank you for the compliments re: layout.

I can vouch for the loco running, yesterday 26001 completed the 7metres of my layout in approx 6.5mins... crawling non-stop! Definitely no complaints here :no:

...just running in the three others at the moment on the rollers. They are just superb straight from the box :clapping_mini:

Cheers

Lee

Finally resistance has crumbled.

Having spent about three hundred quid on building a new layout and over £200 on a pair of those rather lovely Farish A1's I had said "no more" for a bit, However such has been the feedback on this lovely little 26 I have now preordered a BR Green one:-)

Just a shame it will not be here till Warley ish, but from the looks of things it will be well worth the wait!

Roy

Finally resistance has crumbled.

Having spent about three hundred quid on building a new layout and over £200 on a pair of those rather lovely Farish A1's I had said "no more" for a bit, However such has been the feedback on this lovely little 26 I have now preordered a BR Green one:-)

Just a shame it will not be here till Warley ish, but from the looks of things it will be well worth the wait!

Roy

Well done Roy, resistance is futile.

If its not here for another good few weeks then gives you a chance to put some pennys in the penny jar :-) before then.

A few pics of the BR Blue class 26. One of the best running locos I have, not to mention its outstanding looks:

Patiently waiting for the release of bogie frame/ boiler water tank spares to do more variants of this crazy class of loco ;)

Cheers

Lee

Super pics and a super layout.

Any other pics of it and details?

G.

loco looks superb there, but so does that layout.

I agree - the track and ballasting is some of the best I've seen in N.I assume its Peco code 55 ? Are those mainline curves super-elevated ?

Edited by D1059

I got my model a couple of weeks ago and agree it looks great. My only comment is that the blue version didn't come with snowploughs as originally stated when the model was first proposed. Can someone please tell me if the Dapol pack NDetail1 will fit? If not is there anything else suitable on the market?

http://www.Dapol.co....emart&Itemid=59

I see that according to CJM not all class 26s were fitted with ploughs but it would be good to fit one for a Kyle based layout. What did they do in winter if no ploughs were fitted? When I was about 6 we had to abandon our car at Kyle and take the train to Inverness due to the snow and I'm told by my parents that the loco was having to take a run at some of the drifts, I don't reacll that journey until stepping in an icy puddle many hours later in Glasgow!

But I digress, it would also have been really helpfull if instructions had been provided for fitting the accessory pack. Howver, these two minor matters don't detract from a great model and I can't wait to get it running on a layout.

Thanks

Edited by nrm69

Cheers

Lee

Ok Lee, is this really the Dapol model? Comparing your model with the pics on the Hattons website, there seem to me to be quite a few detail differences. Apart from the loco number, the bogies, cabside windows, bogie steps, radiator grille and a number of other details don't look the same. No offence - I may be wrong. If it is the Dapol loco, please tell us how you made all the changes.

Ok Lee, is this really the Dapol model? Comparing your model with the pics on the Hattons website, there seem to me to be quite a few detail differences. Apart from the loco number, the bogies, cabside windows, bogie steps, radiator grille and a number of other details don't look the same. No offence - I may be wrong. If it is the Dapol loco, please tell us how you made all the changes.

Weekday Cross - perhaps you need to look a little closer at the Dapol loco as I can assure you the bogies, cabside windows, bogie steps, radiator grille are all as per the Dapol model. The loco has been resprayed and weathered by Mercig (see earlier posts in this thread) with speedo cable added, oval buffers, air lines to air brake tank frame and bufffer beam pipes/ detail. For further info please see http://www.mercigstudios.com/

No offence taken - it is the Dapol class 26, I have the receipt to prove it!

Edited by HealeyMills