RMweb

Keeping your layout free of dust!

I haven't dusted my storage sidings since I laid them over 20 years ago.  They actually look very realistic as the dust looks very much like ballast. In fact I suspect some of the stuff sold as ballast is actually floor sweepings.

A feeble cheap and nasty vacuum cleaner, like a car vacuum is useful for vacuuming around loose scenery and figures, a decent one will happily eat all your little people and hedges.

You can even connect your car vac to the rails with crocodile clips and chip it if you run DCC...

Maybe fit a fag lighter socket to your Bus....

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

P1280104.jpg.1de17201966f48b5f906e6670a60baf7.jpg

Avoiding dust was one of my prime concerns before I built my layout, so I designed its construction with that in mind.

My end-to-end semi-permanent layout is fully boxed in. I have high backscenes and a full length lighting fascia, across the front, onto which I've laid removable top boards. The front is sealed by two large panels of clear acrylic sheet that are removed for operating sessions. These have small holes along the top edges which allow them to hang on cheese head screws located on the lighting unit. The lower edges are held shut by glued on magnets . The fiddle yards, at each end of the layout, have removable covers.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

17 hours ago, Bucoops said:

We have warm air heating (why people rip it out for a wet system I cannot understand - it's fantastic!) and it has a statically charged filter. Takes so much dust out of the air it's  amazing.

There's the answer. Why is your (OP) house dusty? Dog, long hair, carpets? Look to those.

Baseboards made of plastic? Static charge on layout?

Oh and a tip for keeping the dust off? Turn the layout upside down when not in use, that will definitely keep the dust off.

• Like 1