The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New ‘coking coal’ mine in Cumbria

billtee

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But if the market for steel is growing them inevitably it will still be necessary to make some from scratch using iron ore and coal etc - and, as I understand it, that has to use a coal based fuel as part of the chemistry of the process.

Steel's analloy of carbon and iron, so some source of carbon is needed. Historically that's been supplied by the same source that's also provided the necessary heat. I'm guessing here but that's a lot more than is required just for the carbon in the steel, so in theory a much lower amount should be possible if the heat comes from another source (e.g. electricity).

33 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Steel's analloy of carbon and iron, so some source of carbon is needed. Historically that's been supplied by the same source that's also provided the necessary heat. I'm guessing here but that's a lot more than is required just for the carbon in the steel, so in theory a much lower amount should be possible if the heat comes from another source (e.g. electricity).

Its not the heat that is the only thing it is all about Carbon and the supply of to reduce the iron oxide back to iron!

The Carbon Monoxide (town gas) from the production of coke is/can be used for this.

• 3 months later...
On 04/02/2021 at 19:58, eastglosmog said:

I've posted this before - it shows that the Cumberland Coalfield produced Coal Rank 500 which is strongly caking, but the stuff from the western Durham Coalfield was better (rank 300 and 400) which is why it was dragged over Stainmore in large quantities.

644997456_Coalfieldsmap.jpg.d5d741d4b87a5bc5dd2e9f157c2b9308.jpg

Thanks for sharing the map...

On 13/02/2021 at 13:59, Reorte said:

This paper is about the utilizing of CO2 in the production of steel, so that it is absorbed rather than produced during the manufacturing process.

file:///home/chronos/u-f11c838ffe9e1f88d6d12fcc375dc3676d3cf57c/MyFiles/Downloads/metals-09-00273.pdf