new Bachmann class 47's

essexexpress

Hi all

just wondered if anyone knew much about the new class 47 release from Bachmann.

I've seen what I think to be an example at rails of Sheffield.

It looks pretty good IMHO.

I've read that they've re done the bogies, the ones on the shop model looked a bit more substantial than the older varient.

I can't make up my mind if they've sorted out the buffer beam cowling issue.

Also I seem to remember people complaining about the roof profile, can anyone tell me what's wrong with it?

This maybe the nail in the coffin for my proposed VI trains 47 fleet.

I'd be interested if anyone else knows more about these new releases - I'm suprised I haven't seen a thread for them

cheers

Mike

Nameplates on Bachmann are usually fairly easy to remove.

No sign on any of the 47's on any of the usual websites, including rails.

Also no sign of them on the due in 60 days on Bachmann's site?

It wasn't their pre production 47 145 was it?

No, it was the Scotrail branded "The Queen Mother", which is one of their limited editions.

As far as I can see it IS on their website, now you got me thinking is this just a repaint of one of the earlier models....?

Ohh BTW, it's not released yet

Mike

Nameplates on Bachmann are usually fairly easy to remove.

No sign on any of the 47's on any of the usual websites, including rails.

Also no sign of them on the due in 60 days on Bachmann's site?

Yes this is the pre-production sample of Queen Mother and is a re-tooled model, not a repaint of the original Bachmann 47. It looks rather nice in their display cabinet.

47145 has been postponed until the correct bodyshell becomes available in the standard Bachmann range so I would't hold your breath for it any time soon....

The pics I've seen so far do look good, I'm waiting for 47474 in parcels and also pre-ordered the model zone one of 47573 in NSE. Originally due October/November, I think latest I've seen is December/January.

Even though these Bachmann 47s look better than the Vitrains (Theres just something that isn't right, i can't pinpoint it exactly), 3 livieres a year compared to Vi's 3 liveries a quarter is luring me toward Vitrains still, Im not the skilled modeller who could a new ??70 model and initiate a repainting process, so for me at least unless Bachmann produce a livery I want im afraid ill stick with Vi. The Vi 47s aren't bad just need, finishing, quite literally.

Even though these Bachmann 47s look better than the Vitrains (Theres just something that isn't right, i can't pinpoint it exactly), 3 livieres a year compared to Vi's 3 liveries a quarter is luring me toward Vitrains still,....

The logical extention to that is they could simply produce a plastic rectangle, as long as it was available in 57 varieties of livery. If that's more appealing, does that make you a collector, rather than a modeller? unsure.gif

As for accuracy; if they churned out 100 new liveries a week, it wouldn't make a model any better for it.

I don't think Bachmann can ever be in a position to release 3 new liveries a quarter, when they are vying for production slots for hundreds of items a year; but on such a popular subject, that has been seen in so many liveries, it would be nice if they did five or six a year (or even just four cool.gif ).

Think I'll stick wit hthe Vi spoon, The Bachmann one is a nice model, but theres some errors on them that arnt easily fixable without a repaint, namely the oversized marker lights! The Vi 47 needs some work on it for it to be a good representation of the real thing but it details into a nice model with work. Its shame though that he price is a bit steep for what they are detail and spec wise.

NL

The logical extention to that is they could simply produce a plastic rectangle, as long as it was available in 57 varieties of livery. If that's more appealing, does that make you a collector, rather than a modeller? unsure.gif

As for accuracy; if they churned out 100 new liveries a week, it wouldn't make a model any better for it.

I don't think Bachmann can ever be in a position to release 3 new liveries a quarter, when they are vying for production slots for hundreds of items a year; but on such a popular subject, that has been seen in so many liveries, it would be nice if they did five or six a year (or even just four cool.gif ).

I see what you mean by the extension, but I wasnt out right calling the Vitrains a bad model, far from it, its much better than the Heljan equivalents (IMO) Its maybe the unfiinished appearence of the 47s (minus the handrails etc) that makes them look, 'toyish' whereas the Bachmann model just seems to have an air of more 47 being there. Dont get me wrong, The vitrains model is good, once finished. Whereas the Bachmann model is, straight away. Its a sacrifice for time, for the livery you want at the end of the day.

Archived