Switching Dapol Signals with a Tortoise

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

I currently have 5 Dapol signals on the layout which have not yet been wired up.  The main stumbling point at the moment is that i don’t want to have another control panel to control the signals.   All points are switched with Tortoise motors linked to a control panel comprising of DPDT switches.

one of the micro switches on the tortoise motors is linked to the vee on the point to control polarity.  The other is unused.  I was wondering if there is any way to take the SPST output switch on the tortoise and use this as the switch to drive the signal.  This way the signals will in theory always be set correct for the point ahead of them. 

• RMweb Premium
On 07/02/2021 at 19:39, The Fatadder said:

I currently have 5 Dapol signals on the layout which have not yet been wired up.  The main stumbling point at the moment is that i don’t want to have another control panel to control the signals.   All points are switched with Tortoise motors linked to a control panel comprising of DPDT switches.

one of the micro switches on the tortoise motors is linked to the vee on the point to control polarity.  The other is unused.  I was wondering if there is any way to take the SPST output switch on the tortoise and use this as the switch to drive the signal.  This way the signals will in theory always be set correct for the point ahead of them. 

Hi Rich,

The "problem" with the Dapol signals is that they require a momentary SPST to operate them.

i.e. push to make the signal go to the off position and push again to toggle to the on position.

There is a way of making the Tortoise SPDT contacts operate as SPST.

They aren't a microswitch, but wipers across a circuit board with a clear break before make

Connect one of the yellow wires of the Dapol signal to the common and connect the other yellow wire to the left/right switch terminals

Although not momentary, it does work - the maintained contact does not damage the Dapol signal

It does require "synchronising" with the point motor - I would add a pushbutton in parallel (across the yellow wires) to have the ability to set up the signal.

You can also confuse the signal by reversing the point motor half way across, just as the internal contacts break circuit.

Make sure you use regulated 9v or so on the Dapol signal for longevity.

The same wiring can be used with Cobalt stall motors

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, that sounds a lot simpler than I was expecting.  Although I did think after posting that the 4 platform starters (something like half of the overall number of points) are all going to need wiring to a switch anyway given they are independent of points.  

I was planning to tag the signals onto the same wiring loop as the tortoise (powered by the powersupply from what I think was an old router)  will make sure to double check the voltage output, it certainly is not greater than 9V but could be lower.  If not I will have to have a look through the old plugs draw and find another suitable redundant power supply.