East & West Yorkshire Union Railway on YouTube.

I have always had a soft spot for this rat's nest of mineral lines and idiosyncratic locomotives. So I was easily hooked by a you tube warrior called AdventureMe. 

First the spoiler warning: this chap has no railway knowledge and some of his errors in both fact and terminology are cringe worthy. He also has that total lack of historical perspective common amongst most people under the age of forty that have had a carefully planned and executed National Curriculum. To be fair is very aware of these limitations!

So why bother? This guy has a good pair of legs and endeavours to retrace as much as possible of the route. He is also able to superimpose the route on to modern maps and images and has worked hard to find archive photographs and match them to the present landscape.

Why am I promoting this? Well, there have been several threads over the years of people looking for small collieries and quarries to model and if you can't find one here it might be best to stick to a bucolic BLT.

There is also a good three part series on the Hunslet Goods Railway.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

you forgot the link but i know who you mean, i dont watch his videos just because i dont like the way he speaks as you say is a bit cringe but i fully respect the enthusiasm

Not sufficiently tech savvy to do links!!!

I haven't plucked up the courage to watch his walk around Methley Junction. Explaining the what went where, why and at what time has defeated life long enthusiasts.

Edited by doilum

I found the first video but got bored after 5 minutes. I sometimes walk the hound over the old pit heap at Lofthouse when I go to Going Loco (that's a model railway shop, for those who can remember what they are/were).

10 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I found the first video but got bored after 5 minutes. I sometimes walk the hound over the old pit heap at Lofthouse when I go to Going Loco (that's a model railway shop, for those who can remember what they are/were).

A very handy one as mum is in the care home round the corner!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was put onto these videos a couple of years ago (I have an E&WYUR thread on here somewhere) and found them very interesting and as you say useful, once you get used to his style I found him quite amusing and as you mention he has turned up some photographs that I haven't found anywhere else.

I used his videos as the basis of several great dogwalks before all of this 'carry on' started. I've still got one more to walk to see the remaining rails around Rothwell pit area. Being from the other side of town and having never realised that the E&WYUR ever existed until several years ago I reckon that I still owe this guy a pint ....socially distanced of course ! Time that I had a rewatch, I think.

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

I was put onto these videos a couple of years ago (I have an E&WYUR thread on here somewhere) 

Hopefully a link to my earlier thread which might have some useful information for you as people like Paul Lunn from Model Rail and other respected members of RM Web contributed to it.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Correction.
  • Like 1

There is an episode titled Photo collection.  This is without commentary, just a faint musical background. Some amazing photos mostly, l think, from the collection of Deryk Rayner. Look out for an amazing tiny diesel shunter at Robin Hood coke ovens. I am inspired to finish the painting and numbering of the J 54 that the late Jack Hepton built for me around thirty years ago!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

@sir douglas provides the answer to your question 1/2 way down the page (185.) Baguley W/No 3001.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Adventure Me photo page which I hadn't seen, also he has added some more videos since I last looked. :good_mini:

Edited by 03060

Thanks for the links. There could be a modelling challenge in the making. I had just found the Lawrie goes Loco episode at the Middleton Railway with the tiny Hunslet diesel. The danger is that it might lead down dangerous paths. I have always fancied having a go at a 5" gauge wagon...........

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

It still surprises me that there are not more photographs taken of the E&WYUR when you consider it's size. Whilst I appreciate that a lot of steam era photographers were out on the mainlines taking photographs of prettier trains even the Industrial photographers seemed to have missed it, maybe due to it's mid 60's closure before the majority of steam photographers had gone in search of new pastures after the demise of BR steam.

It's a shame that Mr. Rayners photos are not available in print.

4 hours ago, 03060 said:

It still surprises me that there are not more photographs taken of the E&WYUR when you consider it's size. Whilst I appreciate that a lot of steam era photographers were out on the mainlines taking photographs of prettier trains even the Industrial photographers seemed to have missed it, maybe due to it's mid 60's closure before the majority of steam photographers had gone in search of new pastures after the demise of BR steam.

It's a shame that Mr. Rayners photos are not available in print.

Possibly, Saturday excepted, because it was freight only. There have been one or two major magazine features over the years but I cannot remember exactly where and when. There is also the parallel universe of the Charlesworth empire to explore and explain. What surprised me was the scale of the operation with upto five parallel tracks in places. Somewhere along the way I have managed to misplace both my copies of the Frank book. Time to have a look on Amazon.

• Like 1