The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A rotating O gauge layout.

lakeview770

I saw it at "a show" quite a long time ago, most likely at somewhere in the north Midlands or near Manchester.

It was based on the Wisbech and Upwell.

It was like a big drum they turned to show the different eras, and I think that each era was also in a different season.

The also had a couple of rows of seats laid out for the audience.

After all that, I still can't recall what it was actually called though!!

Edited by LBRJ
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

One I can remember was at a show (in the hmrs  section) at the Midland Railway Butterley

It was still in the ground floor of the HMRS a couple of years ago.

• Informative/Useful 1

Here's an idea - if you had a rotating model railway - i.e the board rotated, then you wouldn't have to power the trains - simply have bars across the layout at key points, the bar would have a ring on it that could slide from end to end and a piece of fine thread hanging down with a hook at the bottom.  Hook the thread to a loco and then rotate  the boards - the train would appear to move along, swap tracks even and traverse through the scenes - no wiring other than to rotate the board.

No trains would pass of course as they are literally all stationary with the board below moving, but if you had a train unhooked it could be passed by one that is hooked.

No attraction apart from noveltly and not a solution to anything more than a rotating diorama.

• RMweb Premium

Outwell Basin? Nope... 

Definitely Wisbech and Upwell, fiddle to fiddle via a nice simple plan, repeated 4 times to allow the 4 seasons and also 4 eras, from memory spring was 1900 GER, summer 1925 early LNER, autumn 1940s wartime LNER and winter 1950 transition  to closure. 

I saw it a couple of times on the show circuit and thought it a very clever design, superbly executed and one of those instantly inspirational layouts. 

Edit

Elmwell, was mentioned on here a while back

BRM April & May 2000, must hunt those issues down. 

Edited by CloggyDog

• RMweb Premium

Confirmed Elmwell Village Depot. As Laurence mentioned above, seen at Derby Assembly Rooms some years ago but I don't have copies of the show guides at home so I did a search for HMRS at Butterley and found a copy of the Midland Railex show guide from 2014 which lists the layouts on display at the HMRS Museum.

A very detailed description on pages 27 and 28 here (and a photo) - and guess where I found that - here on RMweb !!

Midland Railex Show Guide Click Here

Mike

• Like 2
  • Agree 1