Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Point work set into roads

Having an interest in the Southampton docks railways I wonder if anyone can help me understand how the point work that was set into the roads worked?

I mean its hard to understand how the point blades moved unless they were just left unobstructed in which case the roads would have big holes (not unlike most today) 

I have been unable to find a clear picture.

I'd also be very interested in how to model this.

Thanks

image.png.680a8e1166f8bcaaad2d02e114febd0f.pngPhoto from Dave Marden Collection

Does this help? Trackwork is Peco code 75. It was laid wired and thoroughly tested before burying in ready mixed Pollyfilla keeping the areas around the point blades clear. Once set the Polyfilla was carefuly sanded back to just the rail surface. Flangeways were cleared using a nail file and checked until everything ran well again. The gaps where the pointblade are have been filled with plastikard inserts colour matched to the track infill. Didn't actually take as long as you'd think but parctice on a piece of plain track first.

IMG_20190616_183156.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Couple of recent one's from Weymouth Quay. 2020 shots taken just before the track lifting started so well after it fell out of use.

IMG_1553.JPG.8c50586b176b357df22bc87871ee645a.JPGIMG_1552.JPG.ac063d52ef4f4f1d7e5cde5129068ae5.JPG

Edit 18 Nov 2022 - the scaled copies lost in the crash, originals reloaded.

Edited by john new
Photo(s) found and/or replaced post crash.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2