The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Digital photo frame

TEAMYAKIMA

I am looking for a digital photo frame which will continuously repeat a 5 minute promo video like those annoying JML promotional videos in department stores.

I have tried contacting various sellers on Amazon and ebay but none of the people I've managed to contact are able to answer that kind of technical question.

So I thought I would ask here whether anyone has such a thing as I don't want to stand in front of the layout at a show can keep re-starting the video. I have received some advice from a RMwebber (thank you Ian) on another approach - to simply re-record the video many times onto the same digital card but I would prefer to simply have a player that auto repeats.

Anyone got any practical experience?

• RMweb Gold

If you have something that will run P Point, Apple Keynote (this is bundled on the I-pad) or a movie app there should be a setting for constant repeat. I do it on the SLS stand with a laptop & flat screen monitor or a digital TV and the P Pt sequence just endlessly repeats all show. Does not need to be high spec.

Edited by john new

15 minutes ago, john new said:

If you have something that will run P Point, Apple Keynote (this is bundled on the I-pad) or a movie app there should be a setting for constant repeat. I do it on the SLS stand with a laptop & flat screen monitor or a digital TV and the P Pt sequence just endlessly repeats all show. Does not need to be high spec.

John, thanks, but you lost me after "If you have"

I am not technically minded, but I assume that P Point is Power Point, I have just looked and discovered that I have that on my laptop although I have never used it and didn't even know I had it until 5 minutes ago.

I could take my laptop to shows and so maybe that is the way to go - thanks. I assume there will be online tutorials on how to do that.

Thanks for the 'heads up'

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Yes P Pt was PowerPoint. Should be tutorials on YouTube; just do a google search.

A TV connected to the laptop is unlikely to be stolen at a show as far more valuable items are around and easier to steal. By using a cable to the laptop that can be put out of sight under the baseboard somewhere to minimise theft of that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Assuming you trust ebay*  the inputs look like you should be able to use it but you need to ensure first that -

1) The video you want to show is less than 32GB (max the card can read)

2) Are the USB inputs for loading data only?

If you go with the linked digital TV option you know the system works. I use the telly from our spare bedroom as we never have visitors when we are out doing an exhibition. Zero extra cost and as we kept the original box/polystyrene safety shells it is OK to transport. The other advantage to the TV route is if anything does go wrong over the show weekend getting a replacement can generally be done overnight (Fri & Sat) at an out of town retailer and by lunchtime on the Sunday. Things do go wrong, I once forgot to pack one pair of trestles on the way up to Ally Pally -  a local Screwfix on the Friday night got us a new set!

* My wife and I are always sceptical due to both having had bad experiences previously.

Edited by john new
typos

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Many TVs have a usb slot these days, and you can put certain formats of video file on a memory stick and set to repeat.

And, in line with my post above, you minimise future "show fail/downtime" risk by using a standard item that should be easily replaceable in the event of failure.

(be that the TV, the power pack, or you forget something like the cables.)

• RMweb Premium

I created many promotional videos for my previous employer. These were created to run on a tv via a usb stick. I simply created the video and set out too loop. 

It might be worth you looking at the local free adds or Facebook marketplace for a second hand TV. Older models seem to go for pennies. 

• RMweb Premium

The digital photo frames I’ve see will loop the content, so if you only have one video then yes, it’ll loop. 

A TV will probably work, but TVs with USB inputs are quite recent (and therefore less likely to be being given away), and they’re physically much bulkier, with bulkier cables etc. Seems like a sledgehammer to crack a walnut to me. 

1 hour ago, Kris said:

I created many promotional videos for my previous employer. These were created to run on a tv via a usb stick. I simply created the video and set out to loop

Thanks, but how di you set it to loop? Sorry to ask but it's something I have no experience of

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

The digital photo frames I’ve see will loop the content, so if you only have one video then yes, it’ll loop.  

Thanks, but is there clue in the tech spec for me to look out for. Most of the ones for sale on ebay etc list all kinds of tech spec - would you expect to see a code or reference? Literally most are sold by companies with no tech team to ask questions of.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Thanks, but how di you set it to loop? Sorry to ask but it's something I have no experience of

Thanks, but is there clue in the tech spec for me to look out for. Most of the ones for sale on ebay etc list all kinds of tech spec - would you expect to see a code or reference? Literally most are sold by companies with no tech team to ask questions of.

The TV had the facility to just set it going into a loop. This was quite a cheap Samsung that was purchased about 3 years ago.  In terms of tech spec, you need a USB port or SD card slot. The unit needs to be able to place .mp4's, .mov files or whatever file formate that you produce your film in.