Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Just for the fun of it!

Woody C

On 31/12/2022 at 21:19, Woody C said:

Keith! I really do like that! Pauses whilst telling myself 'I am not starting something else, I am not starting something else, I am not starting something else....' 

If it helps, I got a Graham Farish blue Midland Pullman for Christmas.  Still envious of those who got the OO Triang Blue Pullman as Christmas presents back in the 1960s!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/01/2023 at 14:01, Chris Williamson said:

Still envious of those who got the OO Triang Blue Pullman as Christmas presents back in the 1960s

It is strange how we remember certain things we wanted for Christmas all those years ago Chris.  I to wanted the Pullman and also the Freightliner set with a Hymec  and three freightliner wagons. I could in my young mind  visualise them running round my 6 x 4 layout bringing me immense satisfaction and adding much to my existing model empire of two locos and a motley small selection of rolling stock but unfortunately  they never did arrive under the tree! Move on more years then I care to admit and  although I never got those sets I still find immense satisfaction watching trains go round my layouts . As Mrs. W says I am just a big kid amused by simple things!

Hope you enjoy the GF Pullman - it is a wonderful model and one to set in motion and just watch it go by just for the fun of it!

• Like 3

On 10/01/2023 at 22:52, Woody C said:

It is strange how we remember certain things we wanted for Christmas all those years ago Chris.  I to wanted the Pullman and also the Freightliner set with a Hymec  and three freightliner wagons. I could in my young mind  visualise them running round my 6 x 4 layout bringing me immense satisfaction and adding much to my existing model empire of two locos and a motley small selection of rolling stock but unfortunately  they never did arrive under the tree! Move on more years then I care to admit and  although I never got those sets I still find immense satisfaction watching trains go round my layouts . As Mrs. W says I am just a big kid amused by simple things!

Hope you enjoy the GF Pullman - it is a wonderful model and one to set in motion and just watch it go by just for the fun of it!

With apologies for hijacking what ought to be a 009 thread:  Yes it is a wonderful model and definitely one to set in motion and just watch for the fun of it!  I'm not sure what started me down this line beyond an initial curiosity.  For over 20 years we lived in the Derbyshire Peak District just a half hour bike ride from Millers Dale and the old Midland main line.  The track has been converted into a cycle trail with all the tunnels reopened and lit.  It's an amazing stretch of civil engineering in a beautiful and relatively dramatic setting.  I've always been fascinated by it.

What I hadn't realised, until very recently, is that there was a station at Monsal Dale, between Millers Dale and Monsal Head.  Unlike Millers Dale, there's hardly a trace of it left now.  There are quite a few photos here -

Disused Stations: Monsal Dale Station (disused-stations.org.uk)

I'm badly tempted tempted to recreate something from the late 1960s based on this.  N Gauge would be ideal with motive power restricted to diesel for the purposes of reliability and pulling power.  As another 'big kid' amused by 'simple things' I just want to sit and watch as a succession of long trains come past in either direction with the occasional local train or DMU stopping at the station.  So I'm also going to have to confess to already having acquired a small number of locos and stock as well as to have started experimenting with DCC control.  Supposing and only supposing for now - let's not get carried away here - that I could clear a good long space in the garage, then there might be room to construct a baseboard of sufficient length to do justice to such a project.  With a storage yard of at least eight up and eight down roads and the whole thing controlled by iTrains or similar I could do just that - sit and watch as the trains go by.

Of course, the Passing of Time and other calls on my time are the opposing forces in all of this day-dreaming...

Meanwhile, here's a wonderful film of the branchline from Millers Dale to Buxton Midland station -

Watch Through Miller's Dale (Near Buxton, Derbyshire) Midland Railway online - BFI Player

• Like 4

Hello Chris, I recall being fascinated when I attended one of the Nottingham exhibitions back in the 1990s when they were at the Victoria Baths and saw the Derbyshire based Chee Tor. If you know the layout you'll probably understand but I had never seen such a large n or maybe even 2mm finescale layout which was probably one of the first railway in a landscape type layouts at the time. I also recall the first train that I saw on it was a blue pullman which looked superb. Given all this talk of Pullmans I have been running my n gauge Western version today. I do have the blue one too so need to get that out as well !Just sitting back watching it go round - just for the fun of it!

My love of n is being reawakened! Oh dear!!!!!!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Woody C said:

Hello Chris, I recall being fascinated when I attended one of the Nottingham exhibitions back in the 1990s when they were at the Victoria Baths and saw the Derbyshire based Chee Tor. If you know the layout you'll probably understand but I had never seen such a large n or maybe even 2mm finescale layout which was probably one of the first railway in a landscape type layouts at the time. I also recall the first train that I saw on it was a blue pullman which looked superb. Given all this talk of Pullmans I have been running my n gauge Western version today. I do have the blue one too so need to get that out as well !Just sitting back watching it go round - just for the fun of it!

My love of n is being reawakened! Oh dear!!!!!!!

I remember Chee Tor from Railway Modeller.  I was also into N Gauge at the time (mid 70s to early 80s), but when I tried a return to N-Scale last year (German / North American) I found some of the detail on today's US models was too small for me to see - specifically the Micro-Trains couplers, so I didn't pursue it.  But I was hugely impressed with a) the durability of older German models in N, and b) the printing and detail now considered normal.  It was fantastic.  Have fun, Keith.

• Like 1

I never saw Chee Tor for real, but I did see Chiltern Green & Luton Hoo, which I think predated it by some years. That was similar "N in the landscape". I recall the trains themselves were almost at eye level, as if you were looking across a valley at them.

• Like 1

I never saw Chee Tor.  The last Manchester show I attended was, if I recall correctly, the first showing of Chiltern Green.  For an N Gauge exhibition model, or for that matter any exhibition model, it was, in my view, way ahead of its time.  However, at the same show I also saw 2mm finescale for the first time and that was just short of mind-blowing.  I'm afraid that's the moment I fell out with N.  It just didn't compare!  So I was all set to scrap my efforts in N and start again in 2mm FS.  But I never did.  Too many other distractions got in the way.  That said, my late father became an avid 2mm FS practitioner and was a member of the 2mm Society to the end of his days.  "N in the landscape" is what tempts me now.  Particularly as the RtR offering is now so finely detailed and there's the possibility of approaching the FS 'look' using proprietary Code 40 track and turnout kits.  But I need space and time...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 weeks later...

It is strange how something can change the character of a layout so drastically but adding a backscene to the layout has certainly done that - well in my view anyway! This is what it looked liked before - it had been stripped of the buildings which are yet to be fastened down to allow the fitting of he backscene.

1805619531_NarrowGauge315.jpg.c091b09423349c24c6397a7b0abb2e45.jpg

And now with added backscene and buildings.

244323675_NarrowGauge344.jpg.15057c2e50d72c9a94eced5fac4a9a7a.jpg

The backscene is from Gaugemaster and seems to suit the layout.

1958938444_NarrowGauge323.jpg.a900a8a00915ac3eb3697534474610ca.jpg

Getting in a bit closer and you can see many things yet to be done but suddenly things seem to have taken strides forward rather than just shuffling in a circle! Almost inspires me to get on and finish this layout!

505369145_NarrowGauge345.jpg.4747d3f015af1f51970c07ac59cb6368.jpg

502004978_NarrowGauge346.jpg.8052a57af5bf3c10ef54d4b7748fc2d3.jpg

156233366_NarrowGauge349.jpg.ab98c92f9198311039b821b0fe4d280c.jpg

920942554_NarrowGauge340.jpg.d353e790226f82f6e348671713c40cf8.jpg

Thank you for looking at this post.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

4 minutes ago, Woody C said:

It is strange how something can change the character of a layout so drastically but adding a backscene to the layout has certainly done that - well in my view anyway!

Absolutely!! I for one am a great believer in good backscenes, they can indeed transform the look of a layout, and make it look part of a wider world.

That looks really good!! It's changed my view of this layout from being one I like & it's interesting to read about, to being a layout I would like to own myself. 👍 ...despite not having any NG stuff, space to put it, or spare funds to buy it with!! 🙄🤣🤣

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Woody C said:

It is strange how something can change the character of a layout so drastically but adding a backscene to the layout has certainly done that - well in my view anyway! This is what it looked liked before - it had been stripped of the buildings which are yet to be fastened down to allow the fitting of he backscene.

1805619531_NarrowGauge315.jpg.c091b09423349c24c6397a7b0abb2e45.jpg

And now with added backscene and buildings.

244323675_NarrowGauge344.jpg.15057c2e50d72c9a94eced5fac4a9a7a.jpg

The backscene is from Gaugemaster and seems to suit the layout.

1958938444_NarrowGauge323.jpg.a900a8a00915ac3eb3697534474610ca.jpg

Getting in a bit closer and you can see many things yet to be done but suddenly things seem to have taken strides forward rather than just shuffling in a circle! Almost inspires me to get on and finish this layout!

505369145_NarrowGauge345.jpg.4747d3f015af1f51970c07ac59cb6368.jpg

502004978_NarrowGauge346.jpg.8052a57af5bf3c10ef54d4b7748fc2d3.jpg

156233366_NarrowGauge349.jpg.ab98c92f9198311039b821b0fe4d280c.jpg

920942554_NarrowGauge340.jpg.d353e790226f82f6e348671713c40cf8.jpg

Thank you for looking at this post.

Wow!  Convinced me - I’ve not been factoring in backscene to my layout ideas and plans:  I will now.

10 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Absolutely!! I for one am a great believer in good backscenes, they can indeed transform the look of a layout, and make it look part of a wider world.

That looks really good!! It's changed my view of this layout from being one I like & it's interesting to read about, to being a layout I would like to own myself. 👍 ...despite not having any NG stuff, space to put it, or spare funds to buy it with!! 🙄🤣🤣

On30..?  Just saying, Keith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

@Woody C, just a thought - email those photos to Gaugemaster and tell them how pleased you are with the backscene. People are quick to complain but praise is a rara avis and will be a pleasant start to the week for them. (customerservices@gaugemaster.co.uk)

Edited by ian
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, ian said:

@Woody C, just a thought - email those photos to Gaugemaster and tell them how pleased you are with the backscene. People are quick to complain but praise is a rara avis and will be a pleasant start to the week for them. (customerservices@gaugemaster.co.uk)

Hello Ian, Great suggestion and done!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

That looks really good!! It's changed my view of this layout from being one I like & it's interesting to read about, to being a layout I would like to own myself.

WOW! And even double WOW! Thank you for those very kind words. I don't think I could ask for a better endorsement!  There is still a lot to do on the layout so it will keep me amused, entertained and frustrated for some time yet!

• Like 1

Hello, For those of you who suffer from insomnia, Dr. Woody recommends a dose of YouTube...

None of it is scripted and it is done with a phone camera so things are very amateurish!  I do however need to say sincere apologies to Ian for referring to him as 'somebody' when referencing some items he gave me - it will be rectified in the Directors Cut or the sequel!

For those of you not suffering from insomnia this video will still aid sleep......

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

23 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

This picture in particular should be posted in the "How realistic are your models?" Thread, if you haven't already done so.....

Not done so yet as never thought it was in that league! Will have a look at what the other pics are like before dipping proverbial toe in water!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Woody C said:

Hello, For those of you who suffer from insomnia, Dr. Woody recommends a dose of YouTube...

None of it is scripted and it is done with a phone camera so things are very amateurish!  I do however need to say sincere apologies to Ian for referring to him as 'somebody' when referencing some items he gave me - it will be rectified in the Directors Cut or the sequel!

For those of you not suffering from insomnia this video will still aid sleep......

Very enjoyable video, thank you - the layout is coming along very well, Keith.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Woody C said:

apologies to Ian for referring to him as 'somebody'

Hey, I always wanted to be sonebody...

Edited by ian
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to every one for the continued interest, comments and support which is very much appreciated. Amazingly I have managed to do a little more on this layout (must have been inspired by the backscene) with some bridge work and some vegetative cultivation!

Bridge work looks a little cardboardish at the moment but hopefully will look the part once painted and weathered. One un-notice problem up to now is that the resin water splayed the bridge abutments. I did think this strange as you would think the resin would shrink as it dries - at least I did. There is further evidence on the banks of the stream where you can see whiteish plaster where the plaster has been forced out below the resin level leading to small splits. Most unusual and note to self that I should have pre-coloured the plaster!

1946647114_NarrowGauge353.jpg.bc074a12075e40cd44bd7eaa92ba103c.jpg

Peco static grass glue slopped around.

105977330_NarrowGauge356.jpg.c766bb2fb357f65c3fa3abb912103320.jpg

Once static grass applied and left to dry and surplus removed vegetative cultivation began. Just like my real gardening expertise weeds flourish!

416950805_NarrowGauge358.jpg.2e4594cd8e589294a29a5aa295cfcb28.jpg

422593847_NarrowGauge360.jpg.7aaa51247782484742643b62bc266988.jpg

I'm happy with that!

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hello and thank you for your continued interest in my escapades. Following my first YouTube video, the ultimate cure for insomnia, I have now posted a follow up in case anyone requires an increased dosage of droning!

• Like 3