RMweb

Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Feedback and constructive criticism very welcome, as ever. 

I see that in http://www.gwr.org.uk/nopanniers.html the 2721 class is stated to be blue and not yellow route restriction. Also his photos show the route disc in the higher position, but I guess that varied hugely. This blue restriction is interesting as it would allow me to have one at Helston. I had thought all panniers were yellow and thus not allowed down there until after WWII - I always like an opportunity to justify another loco :-)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

That’s a huge improvement Graham.

The only thing you could do differently is carve out the space under the boiler and add a new chassis and motor….

But from normal angles will you really notice the lack of daylight?  I’d leave it alone!

You've done a great job there.

Thanks Neal.  I saw that @Mikkel had been working on a Hornby 27xx conversion and had cut away everything under the boiler, but I think I'll take your advice and leave mine alone!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I see that in http://www.gwr.org.uk/nopanniers.html the 2721 class is stated to be blue and not yellow route restriction. Also his photos show the route disc in the higher position, but I guess that varied hugely. This blue restriction is interesting as it would allow me to have one at Helston. I had thought all panniers were yellow and thus not allowed down there until after WWII - I always like an opportunity to justify another loco :-)

Ah.  B*gger!  Something else that I should correct then...  but might not do!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

A blue route is heavier than a yellow route,  you can run any yellow engine on blue,  red or double red route,  but you can't run anything above yellow on a yellow route.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It is generally accepted that the 57xx class disc were changed from Blue to Yellow by BR in 1950. Sadly this view was not accepted by Bachmann who steadfastly supply all their panniers with Yellow discs regardless of livery

Wikipedia is delightfully vague about the 2721 class disc colour - blue or yellow! It would seem you are in the clear Graham!

Regarding disc position -I believe that pre war they were generally in the "high" position, during the war there was an instruction to re-site them just above the cab side loco# plate. This was apparently to limit the torch light exposure when crew took over a loco - not sure how diligently this was carried out!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, john dew said:

It is generally accepted that the 57xx class disc were changed from Blue to Yellow by BR in 1950. Sadly this view was not accepted by Bachmann who steadfastly supply all their panniers with Yellow discs regardless of livery

Wikipedia is delightfully vague about the 2721 class disc colour - blue or yellow! It would seem you are in the clear Graham!

Regarding disc position -I believe that pre war they were generally in the "high" position, during the war there was an instruction to re-site them just above the cab side loco# plate. This was apparently to limit the torch light exposure when crew took over a loco - not sure how diligently this was carried out!

Thanks John - “delightfully vague” is just my style!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, john dew said:

At least Bachmann are consistent, Pannier disc colour matching topfeed. 

I'd never paid much attention to this detail and find that I have a real mixed bag amongst my set of small locos. They're all at least consistent, (consistently wrong!) - now more to add to the round tuit list.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I've been doing a bit more work on the 4F over the last couple of days.  I weathered the bodywork with a wash of diluted black/leather brown acrylic mix, put some (unstirred) earth brown enamel on the coupling rods, and then painted everything below the footplate with the black/brown mix too.  I think it looks a tad overdone in these photos, to be honest, but it doesn't look quite so heavy to the naked eye.  I'll probably add a suggestion of brake dust, and also use a pencil tip to show some paint chipping on the steps and so on, and then call it done.  Unless anyone has suggestions for what else it might need?  Always welcome, as I have very little clue about what I'm doing here...

IMG_2952.jpeg.d44ce05bef7cfa32c71e6f370c0a6d81.jpeg

IMG_2946.jpeg.c3d878da07980be2fee2b70da00fdc57.jpeg

IMG_2947.jpeg.c9cfd6078caebc4db9cdd210fe10d225.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Graham T said:

Have no fear, back to proper coloured locos next!

I didn't know you had any SR stock!

The 4f looks just right for a workaday freight loco. Just needs a headcode lamp?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I didn't know you had any SR stock!

Not yet...  But I quite fancy the idea of a rebuilt light pacific on CR Mk II 🙂

55 minutes ago, Nick C said:

The 4f looks just right for a workaday freight loco. Just needs a headcode lamp?

Thanks for the reminder - I will make it so!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Not yet...  But I quite fancy the idea of a rebuilt light pacific on CR Mk II 🙂

You'd need a change of period for that - the first one wasn't rebuilt until '57...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Is that from the red box stable or the blue box stable Graham? Just thinking that you can’t tell unless you see one from each manufacturer standing side by side - I’m sure someone will tell me all the differences between them now!

Looks just fine for a freight engine at the end of its journey, before going on shed for disposal by the way; good work!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Is that from the red box stable or the blue box stable Graham? Just thinking that you can’t tell unless you see one from each manufacturer standing side by side - I’m sure someone will tell me all the differences between them now!

Looks just fine for a freight engine at the end of its journey, before going on shed for disposal by the way; good work!

It's the Hornby-flavoured 4F.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Graham

A while back you mentioned you plan to re-use some of your beautiful buildings on CR MkII. This made me wonder how you have fixed them don on the current layout - as yet I have only just stood mine in place and am pondering how to fix them while not being unable to remove them should I ever need to.

Andy

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Well, you mention it. Hornby's 4F is the LMS version lefthand drive while Bachy's is the Midland Railway's righthand drive. Just look at which side of the boiler all the plumbing is on.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Graham

A while back you mentioned you plan to re-use some of your beautiful buildings on CR MkII. This made me wonder how you have fixed them don on the current layout - as yet I have only just stood mine in place and am pondering how to fix them while not being unable to remove them should I ever need to.

Andy

The station building and the two wriggly tin huts on the platform are just placed in position Andy, and not fixed at all.  With the others, they've been bedded in with a little of whatever the ground cover was that I had been using in that area.  I have tried the method of pressing the building into a thin wet layer of Das, and then removing the building until the clay has dried, to make an indentation for them to sit in, but found it rather tricky.  I think that Kevin @KNP and Rob @NHY 581 might have mentioned that technique in their threads?  Perhaps also @Alister_G?

When the time comes for destruction (well, hopefully not) I will try to cut them out of the landscape with a sharp knife - with luck they will survive the surgery!

Hope that helps.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

As threatened, back to a loco with the proper colour of green 🙂

Although, to be fair, I seem to have a rather wide range of GWR greens on my layout...

Anyway, here is 4804 as she looked before Bodgeit and Scarper got their clumsy paws on her:

IMG_2736.jpeg.57967a3ea7ba0ef17bd366da4a31b760.jpeg.276201cd056fa2ff4e8cbedffd35718c.jpeg

Nice, but a bit shiny for my tastes.  And as mentioned previously, the brass boiler band ...

So here's how she looks at the moment.  I've gone over all the green paintwork with a Mig dark enamel wash, that was wiped off pretty much straight away with cotton buds.  It's dulled the shininess of the plastic down a touch, and I think she probably looks as dirty as I'd like her to be for now (ooer missus etc etc).  I've also gone over the black areas above the footplate with a mix of black and brown acrylic, I still have to do the wheels and chassis.  The coupling rods have had a swipe with unstirred Humbrol earth brown enamel (not sure where I saw that tip, I think it might have been @St Enodoc?) although you can't really see them in this pic!

IMG_3006.jpeg.255deac0193e914aad1bcafbc9bd40a7.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

52 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Well, you mention it. Hornby's 4F is the LMS version lefthand drive while Bachy's is the Midland Railway's righthand drive. Just look at which side of the boiler all the plumbing is on.

Thanks Jonathan. I knew one was RHD and the other was LHD, but I couldn’t remember which was which.

I seem to remember the Hornby (ex-Airfix) version is slightly ‘coarser’ scale-wise than the Bachy one.

Does anyone know of a conversion kit to convert the Hornby/Airfix to a RHD version? I have an Airfix one from the bay of E that someone has swapped the reverser over on, but I’d like to take it a step further, which would mean a new backhead.

• Informative/Useful 1