Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium

Strictly speaking the arm on the water crane should be at 90° to the track when swung right out as this will cover the tank filler on tender engines, however in your case as space is cramped position the pannier and a 45xx on the pit road by the coal stage and then work out the position for the water crane.

This may well work out at an angle of 45° - the balloon tank at Buckfastleigh is on the short bit of platform on the runround loop and is at 45° to fill a WD Austerity 0-6-0 and a tender engine

Edited by John Besley

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Graham T said:

IMG20220227180244.jpg.5c2d64b4506c3ddd0efdb19694f08842.jpg

Hi Graham,

I have to mention the elephant in the room. What is the rationale for siting the coal stage right alongside the ash pit?  It seems counter intuitive for practicality and safety reasons and I cannot find a prototype for it, but if you have, please let me know and I’ll rest easier!

Best,

Bill

• RMweb Gold
On 28/02/2022 at 11:33, longchap said:

Hi Graham,

I have to mention the elephant in the room. What is the rationale for siting the coal stage right alongside the ash pit?  It seems counter intuitive for practicality and safety reasons and I cannot find a prototype for it, but if you have, please let me know and I’ll rest easier!

Best,

Bill

Hi Bill.  That particular question did get thrashed around a few pages back.  I recalled reading somewhere that it wasn't good practice to have ash pits next to coaling stages.

Since the ash pit is now fixed in place, and I really don't want to start lifting and moving track again, I could move the coal stage onto the turntable road, as in these pics.  The water crane would work as I have it shown there I think, or alternatively I could move the crane to just outside the engine shed.  

As always, very grateful for any comments and opinions please :)

image.png.de114bfc14a9f5bca171937296f43348.png

image.png.fb4665482e58dabac74e2f222a580e74.png

image.png.c3c980bcb3546aba0003f251b8dab4d9.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Is that a Late, Mucky and Slow loco I see there?

I feel less guilty for having one myself now....:D

It is indeed one of the "Late Mondays and Saturdays" finest.  I actually have four - the Jinty, a tender 3F, a Compound, and one of the late Moguls.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Not 100% certain but I seem to recall that the shed at Brixham, which had one of those combined water tank and coaling stages right outside the door had its ash pit alongside.

Well spotted. The only photo I've found (web based) is indistinct, but there could well be a pit there. Unfortunately, the shed was closed in 1929, so does not appear in the detailed E Lyons GWR shed survey, as at 1947, but it does seem to be atypical, which in itself has a certain nostalgic/fatalistic appeal.

Edited by longchap
Custard dumplings

• RMweb Gold

That looks wrong to me, but I’m no expert and it’s your railway.

An engine standing there to coal up is going to block the turntable.

If you want examples of ash pits next to coal platforms try Ashburton, Bodmin (original, not as now preserved), Marlow.

There are many more examples…

Your railway, choose whichever you prefer. There will be a prototype for it! :)

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

If you want examples of ash pits next to coal platforms try Ashburton, Bodmin (original, not as now preserved), Marlow.

Do you have any photos you could share please, or links to same?

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Do you have any photos you could share please, or links to same?

The examples I have are all from books and it would break forum and copyright rules to post them here, sorry.

References:

The Marlow Branch, Karau & Turner, Wild Swan

Sheds In Camera, Griffiths, OPC

Great Western Steam On Shed, Bradford Barton

More Great Western Steam On Shed, Bradford Barton

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

Given the traffic levels, I think it will be ok to block the turntable road…. I doubt there would be a queue of locos trying to turn at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have pictures of all of them in books too, but was uncertain about copyright, even if I credit them, hence the internet picture with the big watermark. If they don't want me to borrow it for any reason, why give me the option to download it?

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

This shot, borrowed for illusrtration purposes, shows Marlow.

Right to left is ash pile, ash pit with coal wagon over it and the coaling stage behind the wagon.

JH371.jpg.9c8bf72b65638846826d90728943d1af.jpg

Thanks very much Rob, that's a really useful photo.  And reminds me that I must put posts in next to the shed doors (if I ever get round to putting it in place...)

Edited by Graham T
spooling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

The examples I have are all from books and it would break forum and copyright rules to post them here, sorry.

References:

The Marlow Branch, Karau & Turner, Wild Swan

Sheds In Camera, Griffiths, OPC

Great Western Steam On Shed, Bradford Barton

More Great Western Steam On Shed, Bradford Barton

Thanks, I don't have any of those unfortunately.  A trip to Amazon may be in my near future, I think.

• RMweb Gold

So, it seems that there really is a prototype for everything :)

Perhaps I'll just toss a coin to make the decision for me?  Or more likely, I will just go with whatever I think looks best to me.

Whatever, thanks again to you all for the contributions.  All really helpful for someone like me who knows next to nothing about the actual railway...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You can never have enough reference books. I bought three more on Sunday. Secondhand GWR books, even those that aren't just potted history general interest titles are dirt cheap at preserved railways 'oop north! 

Would love to get some of those, but the travel costs from here would probably outweigh the savings made on the books...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks, I don't have any of those unfortunately.  A trip to Amazon may be in my near future, I think.

Great Western Branch Line Terminii, Paul Karau, OPC either Volumes 1&2 or the Combined Edition are great. Ashburton appears in V2 along with a clear photo and description of the ash pit. Several of the other stations featured also might have had ash pits in front of the coal platform but there aren’t good photos showing it - the photos tend to be taken from ground level rather than above, and since the ash pit is below track level and weren’t of particular interest to the photographer they don’t show up. 

edit: and the photos usually show an engine over the piece of track of interest to this discussion!

Edited by GWR57xx
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Would love to get some of those, but the travel costs from here would probably outweigh the savings made on the books...

Very true, but eBay sellers such as worldofbooks have some good titles at low prices. I do the same as most people I expect, type in a title and hit the "lowest price first" option.

• Like 2