Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gopher said:

Graham - bit of a poor photo, but Mainly Trains GWR buffer stop kits are excellent.  They are available via Wizard Models.  Two versions white metal and brass.  These are  MT247: GWR Buffer Stop Kit (cast brass) .  Just add sleepers.  I wanted to replace my long serving Peco stops, with something more proto-typical.  More expensive than the Peco versions though.  

Shame about the bus on the bridge.  Maybe for your next layout:D

20220215_094234.jpg

Those do look rather nice I must admit.  I've got some of the Peco bullhead ones, but might have to browse at Wizard Models.  Always a bit risky, as they have lots of tempting goodies...

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Graham T said:

Well, one benefit of re-laying all this track is that my soldering is getting better.  It's still a long way from being fine, but I'm getting good strong connections now at least.

It appears that my parcel from the UK with the insulated track joiners is now waiting for me at the local post office, so perhaps I can start laying the track this evening...

With that in mind, it's time for a few more numpty questions about wiring :)

As mentioned before, I'm going to use autofrogs on the single slip, and also on the new point I'll be laying.  All points are electrofrog.  So, I think I need to cut the two short wires under the point immediately before the frog, don't I?

Do I need to make any modifications to the single slip?  It doesn't look like any are required from what I've read, but obviously I want to make sure I've got that right before I nail it down!

Phil, you seem to know all about wiring - could you help me out here please? @Harlequin

Hi Graham,

I've never had to install a single slip so I can't advise you immediately, I'm afraid. I would have directed you to Brian Lambert's site but he doesn't seem to cover single slips, only double slips, and even there his diagram is less than helpful!

Be careful. Peco slips may not be electrically the same as turnouts and even the Peco turnouts have different electrical setups depending on the gauge and the age of the tooling...! So you need to get advice for your specific product.

23 hours ago, Graham T said:

I'm now wondering what I'll do with the big open space at the front of the layout. 

14 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Maybe a couple of smaller trees, but nothing that you will catch your sleeve on!

12 hours ago, prtrainman said:

Or maybe a potato field a la Little Muddle?

22 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'd be tempted to just have a slightly undulating field there, rather than trying to cram in another feature

I think even small trees would get in the way, not just physically while leaning over the layout, but also visually. However, maybe an arable field is too much the other way?

Building on @MrWolf's idea, how about a field with a horse or two in it? That gives you a little bit of height. Horses are taller than cabbages (except if they've really gone to seed!) and for more "non railway" interest, you can add, in addition to the horses themselves, a small stable, a path going to it with a gate, some tack in the stable, hay bales and so on. Of course, you can still add lots of static grass, as the horses have to eat something, but there'll be a bit more visual interest than just an area of crops. It would have sufficient height to take away the "large flat area" look, but would still be low enough that it wouldn't block the main view of the layout.

Edited by BroadLeaves
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Graham T said:

Also, I've read in some places that they the ash pit would be kept away from the coal stage...

Depending on the ash pit / coal stage positioning, it sounds as if I could feasibly have the coal and water crane on either the run into the shed, or on the turntable approach track?

If anything, from reading many GWR branch line histories, I’d say the ash pit was invariably right in front of the coal stage. (They both relate to disposing of an engine at the end of a day’s work).

There may of course be some exceptions.

There would also be an inspection pit (deeper than the ash pit) inside the shed.

I can recommend the Intentio pits (they do both types).

Edited by GWR57xx
Added a bit.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Graham,

I've never had to install a single slip so I can't advise you immediately, I'm afraid. I would have directed you to Brian Lambert's site but he doesn't seem to cover single slips, only double slips, and even there his diagram is less than helpful!

Be careful. Peco slips may not be electrically the same as turnouts and even the Peco turnouts have different electrical setups depending on the gauge and the age of the tooling...! So you need to get advice for your specific product.

Hi Phil.  I should have thought about going to Brian Lambert's page, especially as I've recommended it to other people not that long ago!

I'm going to modify the point (as per the info on Brian's page), but will hold my fire regarding the single slip for now.  There's no hurry...

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

I think even small trees would get in the way, not just physically while leaning over the layout, but also visually. However, maybe an arable field is too much the other way?

Building on @MrWolf's idea, how about a field with a horse or two in it? That gives you a little bit of height. Horses are taller than cabbages (except if they've really gone to seed!) and for more "non railway" interest, you can add, in addition to the horses themselves, a small stable, a path going to it with a gate, some tack in the stable, hay bales and so on. Of course, you can still add lots of static grass, as the horses have to eat something, but there'll be a bit more visual interest than just an area of crops. It would have sufficient height to take away the "large flat area" look, but would still be low enough that it wouldn't block the main view of the layout.

Thanks, that's the best one yet I think :)  

I do like the sound of that.  A stable or similar.  I was thinking about putting a very small, ramshackle barn (not much more than a shed really) in the field on the other side of the river, but decided against it in the end.  This area might be the ideal place for that idea...

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

If anything, from reading many GWR branch line histories, I’d say the ash pit was invariably right in front of the coal stage.

There may of course be some exceptions.

There would also be an inspection pit (deeper than the ash pit) inside the shed.

I can recommend the Intentio pits (they do both types).

That was what I was thinking too, I got a bit sidetracked when I read somewhere about putting ash pits away from anything flammable because of the fire risk...  But in front of the coal stage does feel right.

The Intentio pits look very good, thanks for the tip - but only seem to be available in O gauge?  Anyway, I already have a Peco set that I bought a while ago; I'm sure that with some heavy weathering I can make that look the part.  There's enough in the kit to do the inspection pit as well.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Argh!  Chuffnell Regis is beginning to look a bit like the proverbial snakes' wedding....

image.png.702d8f78b83913ecfc1cd6ec4dc90fa3.png

image.png.a2d9a94cda3109643d014de0f1a316c0.png

The upside is that my soldering is slowly becoming a little less cr@p.  Don't think I'm going to be building any brass kits for a while yet though!  Here's one of the autofrogs ready to go...

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've run up a whopper of an overdraft at the profanity bank, but the single slip is laid, wired, and motorised.  And all seems to be working as it should - tested with a Jinty that doesn't have a stay-alive fitted...

Here's hoping that it still works as advertised tomorrow, and that I haven't just dreamt it all!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

This looks pretty chaotic I know, but there's been some progress.  I think most of the difficult parts of the new track, or the ones that I find difficult anyway, are now complete.  The point feeding the engine shed and turntable is underneath the weights as its PVA dries, then I need to lay the tracks to the shed and table, and of course cut holes for the ash and inspection pits.  Cutting those will be good practice for cutting out the well for the turntable...

Track laying really is my bete noir, I'm afraid.  And the wiring underneath the layout is a horror show!  But lots of lessons learned for CR Mk II, that's for sure.

Most of the buildings you can see are in approximately their final location (at least they are according to today's plan!)  As ever, please let me know if you can see any glaring howlers!

image.png.8294bf96d1b2e8bea709033627f6951a.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 10

It's not so long ago that my layout was half bare boards and then almost out of nowhere, I had finished track and the beginning of landscape.

It seems to happen all of a sudden with everyone's layout. It's the model railway equivalent of hitting Wednesday afternoon.

Then you have the problem of where to pile tools parts and other junk!

Edited by MrWolf
Woodlice
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Graham T said:

And...  woodlice?

Whenever you edit, the program asks for a reason for the edit.

It has become a habit on a number of threads to write something totally random or self effacing.

For no reason in particular.

• Funny 2

On 15/02/2022 at 07:11, Graham T said:

I've managed to fit a short straight run onto the turntable as well.  I was wondering about adding a short stub of track on the engine shed side of the table, just long enough to hold a loco coal wagon?

I think there should be a short stub to "catch" any locos that overshoot the turntable slightly but I'm not sure space for a wagon would be appropriate.

Cheers

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Whenever you edit, the program asks for a reason for the edit.

It has become a habit on a number of threads to write something totally random or self effacing.

For no reason in particular.

Ah, comprendez.  I usually just give that "Reason for edit" box a damn good ignoring :)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Thorness said:

I think there should be a short stub to "catch" any locos that overshoot the turntable slightly but I'm not sure space for a wagon would be appropriate.

Cheers

Don

I'm going to put a stub on there, but was also considering another length of track running off the table, just long enough for a loco coal wagon.

But now I'm wondering about maybe putting a water tank in that corner, fed from the river?  A bit like the one at Witney.

• Like 1

Less is more once again. A loco coal wagon could be pulled up alongside the coaling stage and emptied during the day whilst the loco is out working the line  (I'm presuming that your coaling stage is in front of the loco shed?

• Like 1