Torkard Lane TMD

torkardlane

I know a lot of people don't like them but I just find they make great models.

Whilst I've been sorting out the backscene on Deadwater I have not done any modelling.

A tidy up in the shed found a suitable baseboard adapted from the fiddle yard of an abandoned layout and Torkard Lane TMD was created.

I blame "Worcester Road" which I really enjoyed watching at the recent Derby show, the idea of looking inside the shed was great so I had a go at my version.

A few pics are below showing roughly how I started. Not quite finished yet more detailing to be added but I've enjoyed it. Hope the TMD guys out there like it

Tom

post-6689-127567540454_thumb.jpg

post-6689-127567543069_thumb.jpg

post-6689-127567543522_thumb.jpg

post-6689-127567543775_thumb.jpg

post-6689-127567544604_thumb.jpg

post-6689-127567579666_thumb.jpg

post-6689-127567580718_thumb.jpg

post-6689-12756754749_thumb.jpg

post-6689-127567547931_thumb.jpg

post-6689-127567548245_thumb.jpg

Just because its a TMD its nothing to be ashamed off, It looks very good to my eyes,

And the idea of the cutaway shed building is quite good, I think I may have to borrow that idea for a future layout

Guest 30-something

Looks great, certainly well spent time in that closet!

Im actually thinking of building TMD-ish layout after I finish my current layout

Cheers

Joe

Thanks guys, its been good fun doing a layout this small (2'7"). I understand why they have become more popular than great big things that take a long time to create. When you do anything on this size its got an immediate effect and encourages you to do a bit more and get it finished. Besides detailing this is mostly done. I might try lighting up the shed and pit, electrics are not fun for me. I was going to equip the shed with tools and machinery but theres not much out there to buy rtr and what there is is very expensive ( £25 for a pack I saw somewhere ) so scratch building something may be worth a try.

Tim the cctv cameras are from Ten Commandments. They just give the layout that bit extra detail, I think the pack contains 4 cameras and various ways of fitting to pole or wall.

Cheers Tom

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom

This is a really great little layout it has alot of atmosphere I'll be keeping an eye on this one loving the idea of the cut away section on the loco shed.

I had a look on CG textures for the backscene you have but as there is so many files on the site I couldn't find it could point me in the right direction as it's something I'm looking for on my next project !!

Keep up the great work and as always keep the photo's coming !!

Colin

I agree with previous posts that there is nothing wrong with TMDs. It is your layout and for your enjoyment. At the end of the day everyone has different ideas and likes for a layout and that is what makes the hobby.

Love the shed and the ability to see inside, great work.

• 2 weeks later...

Now for me the electrical side of modelling is the worse but I thought I better have a try at it and this small layout is ideal for me to try and learn something.So this week I have been fitting lights inside the TMD.

First up are the TMD roof and pit lights. I've fitted four in the roof and two below in the pit

post-6689-127697131601.jpg post-6689-127697131327.jpg post-6689-127697131857.jpg

Next I found a light signal in my stock box with some tpws grids.So had a go at building this up and fitting with a switch so I have to change it manually from red to green.I placed the grids opposite the signal hopefully it looks right if not spot on where it should be..

post-6689-127697182764.jpg post-6689-127697216204.jpg

Lastly a few barrels and fuel tank placed around the TMD.

post-6689-1276972211.jpg

If the layout has'nt gone up in flames because of my dodgy wiring I will have a go at fitting some streetlights on the road bridge next.

Tom

• 2 years later...

Well its been a long time since I did anything with this, and feeling in the mood for a new challenge I have decided to resurrect it.

So after stripping it back to bare board I have built a new frame for it extending it with a fiddle yard to supply the TMD. Took a couple of pics to show you what I mean and when I have decided on a track plan more will follow.

post-6689-0-55557000-1343502165.jpg

post-6689-0-95622500-1343502169.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Dont think there's anything wrong with a depot scene when its well thought out, spacious and realistic which yours is. The ones I find tiresome are where its an overtracked attempt to get every item of someones stock into a small place and looks unconvinicing, even then though we are all free to build what we want and the option on the forum is there to read about stuff that interests us and not read stuff we're not bothered about.

• 1 month later...

Finally remembered to use my camera and take some pics to update you all on what's been happening in Torkard Lane.

In my head this is a small corner of an old goods yard that has changed and evolved over the years from steam to diesel and buildings have been demolished and others altered to suit the changing needs of the modern railway.

I bought Bachmanns lovely depot and started to build around that as the main subject, Metcalfes warehouse and Scalescenes adaptation at the end with various "warehouse" style buildings running along the back-scene with a nod towards James Makins Wells Green layout with a class 60 seen in another building trying to give a bit of depth, tell me if it works or not. Also a sunken waste oil tank has been added at the front and extra details will be added later, next on the list is the over bridge on the left hand side of the layout to hide the fiddle yard entrance more updates to follow when I can.

post-6689-0-36182100-1348429145.jpgpost-6689-0-27820900-1348429149.jpg

post-6689-0-44314100-1348429153.jpg

• 8 months later...

Archived