Has anyone modelled wagons with the sides dropped?

Hi.

Part of my layout is a yard. I have plenty of weathered wagons for it.

I would like to model some wagons being unloaded.  16t 21t coal or OBAs and the like with the sides down.

Below is a standard RTR wagon in the yard.

Has anyone adapted something like this. Or am I best off building a plastic kits and adapting them.

IMG_20210314_150735.jpg.2e7377ef0976042a25afc7f46bef77fe.jpg

Have there been any threads on this anyone can point me to.

Thanks

Steve

The old airfix 16t mineral kit had separate doors which allowed you them to be modelled open.

For something like an OBA, you may be better off starting with the cambrian kit as on the Bachmann model the floor and doors are quite thick and would probably show if the doors were opened.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steve

I Have this with the side down, Awaiting being cut up at Reading about 30 years ago I took this shot from my my Utube Video

1101472541_ZHVReading.jpg.b7ef52b3923dc63799cabd3f261c7440.jpg

This is the one I made from a Dapol 16 ton Mineral Wagon Kit and is in a siding on my layout

IMG_20210315_133325.jpg.e84f3e2fae20086f531edb9a5f60f918.jpg

May be of help

Cheers

Bob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

If you use either Cambrian or Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster 16-tonner kits, the side doors are separate parts, and so are easy to model in the dropped position. Doors were not supposed to be propped in the horizontal position, but coal merchants often did so, either with bits of timber, oil barrels, or whatever happened to be to hand. I have seen the END doors propped up with sleepers, when a coal depot received a 21-tonner that was only fitted with end doors.

If you do have wagons with doors open, don't forget to put the hand-brake lever in the 'on' (down) position!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2