Lea Mouth - The rebirth

NSE 108

Leamouth Dock is a small dock connected to the River Thames and formally part of the east India Quay complex. In the early 1900's the eastern counties railway built a short goods line was provided from just south of Canning town station, on its Stratford to North Woolwich line, through Blackwall (goods) station and down to the quayside at lea mouth. In 1923 the junction at Canning town was rebuilt into a triangular junction and a station built on the quayside at Leamouth (Leamouth Quay) as well as one near Blackwall goods station called Blackwall North. Passenger services started between Stratford and Leamouth Quay in early 1924 and were soon extended north to palace gates, with some services calling at Leamouth and then reversing back up the line to continue to North Woolwich.

In 1930 the station lost Quay from its name and simply became Leamouth. At the outbreak of war 1939 passenger service was reduced to just two trains a day from Stratford to North Woolwich Via Leamouth and back. In 1948 this was increased to three trains a day with one service terminating at Leamouth. The line was singled in the 1960’s with the decline in the use of the docks with good service being stopped in 1972 when the dock closed.

When the line from Stratford to North Woolwich was electrified and incorporated into the North London Line passenger service was changed again with three trains a day running Stratford to Lea Mouth and back, using either a 108 or a 105 unit, and two services running North Woolwich to Richmond Via Leamouth using a class 416.

In 1979 the quayside sidings were taken over by the permanent way department to store stock used for engineering works between Stratford and North Woolwich. By this time the station had gained the incorrect sign reading Lea Mouth above the entrance.

The station finally closed in 1994 when it was replaced by the better connected East India Quay’s station on the Docklands Light Railway. Shortly after the station was demolished to make way for a new block of flats.

This is in fact all made up except for the short branch to Blackwall goods station.

The Model

The model is set some point between 1990 and 1994 in the last few years of operation. All around there will be signs of the coming renovation of the area with an old warehouse being made ready for conversion into a block of flats and indications of the soon arrival of the DLR in the area, while the tracks will be overgrown and some out of use.

The layout will be a L shape with the main part of the L being the fiddle yard station and P-way sidings while the smaller part of the L will have the abandoned remains of Leamouth Dock and will contain the run round used by the P-way depot.

So the base for the layout is built out of cut up IKEA "GORM" shelf's just have to build the top surface which the train will actually run on. Dimensions of the layout which I forgot about befor are Main Straight (fiddle yard and station area) 9ft 8inches x 11 inches and quayside area is 5ft 9 inches x 11 inches. Track plan and photo's will follow when I get my scaner working and find out what box the camera is in.

We're all twiddling our thumbs, awaiting some pictures, layout idea sounds good.

Mr B .. modelling Nethertown

I have taken some pictures on my phone (although not great quality) but unfortunately in the recent house move (and the chose that has followed) the cable to connect to my computer has vanished

Finally got some pictures :)

post-8387-127628224569_thumb.jpg Looking from the fiddle yard, the P-way sidings are on the left and the station is straight a head. The abandoned line will occupy the area to the right of the track shown.

post-8387-127628234778_thumb.jpgLooking from the end of the quay towards the station the short landing stage can be seen to the right. The blue represents the water

post-8387-127628242743_thumb.jpg after a visit to the Erith MRC's Woolwich exhibition I have added this class 121 to my stock of DMU's. This unit still clames to be working services to oxford (need to sort that out)

post-8387-127628256865_thumb.jpg This is a picture of the (old) station building for leamouth which has been taken from the uncompleted layout Leyton Road.

post-8387-127628224569_thumb.jpg

post-8387-127628234778_thumb.jpg

post-8387-127628242743_thumb.jpg

post-8387-127628256865_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Time scale of the layout has been moved slightly and will now be around 1990-1997 this is to allow me to run my Vi Trains EWS class 37 my DRS 66 will probably appear from time to time out of period but I think that to have the layout set in a 10-12 year time frame will be too much given the rapidly changing nature of the area.

• 9 months later...

The Rebirth

with the end in sight for my sixth form education my attention can now return to my much abandoned Leamouth project. The layout concept has been changed as a rearrangement of the room that it is house in has meant that an area 6ft 6in by 6ft 6in has been made available for railway construction. The layout it is intended shale have a continues run loop which will run round almost all of this space. There will be a small branch off from one side of the loop to the small Leamouth Terminus station. On the other side of the layout there will be a series of freight loops which are now in use as storage sidings by the Permanent way department. There may also be a small diesel loco fuelling point.

Hopefully this will keep me occupied in the four months between the end of my exams and when I go to university.

Archived