The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Ship stuck across (blocking) the Suez Canal

john new

• RMweb Premium
On 07/07/2021 at 12:25, admiles said:

......and she's moving!

(in the right direction too)

Assume a large set of jump leads was deployed.

Left a little after 0900 UTC/GMT:

GBL2.JPG.5f0d5a9fdcb968dbeb0301dd40d0034a.JPG

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, admiles said:

......and she's moving!

(in the right direction too)

Assume a large set of jump leads was deployed.

Na, they borrowed a tug and bump started her!!!

Edited by rab
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Pretty much what you did with an oil fired steamship, get a tug alongside run a steam line over & use it to run the machinery until you have pressure up.

She's diesel powered and as far as I know the crew remained aboard and the diesel generators have continued to run to keep the lights on and the refrigerated cargo containers working. So it's just a matter of keeping the main air start tanks up to pressure, 300 lb/sq inch in my day, opening the air starting valve, then the fuel valves, all done by the auto start system when you push the button and away you go. No jump leads or steam lines required.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tankerman said:

She's diesel powered and as far as I know the crew remained aboard and the diesel generators have continued to run to keep the lights on and the refrigerated cargo containers working. So it's just a matter of keeping the main air start tanks up to pressure, 300 lb/sq inch in my day, opening the air starting valve, then the fuel valves, all done by the auto start system when you push the button and away you go. No jump leads or steam lines required.

I would guess that the main engines have been started a few times in the intervening 3 months, just to keep the operational.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, melmerby said:

I would guess that the main engines have been started a few times in the intervening 3 months, just to keep the operational.

That depends on the ship managers policy. I was on a motor ship where we were alongside a berth for nearly two months waiting for a charter. During that time the main engine was stopped, but the lub oil system was run on a regular basis.

She has only one main engine, a Mitsui–MAN B&W 11G95ME-C9 rated at 79,500 bhp (59,300 kW) at 80 rpm. The first part indicates it's of MAN B&W design built by Mitsui in Japan, if my memory is correct the second part indicates that it's an 11 cylinder engine and the cylinder bore is 950mm. 

Hope this is of interest.

Edited by Tankerman
put 960 instead of 950
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My ship tracker app shows it now off Lisbon, due Rotterdam on the 28th. Getting here slowly, too slowly I guess for lots of summer goods on it.