South Devon Clubs?

Wummyock

Greetings people of the wez cundree, having moved back from NZ(before anyone asks i dont know why either lol)I am residing down in the Kingsbridge/Salcombe area and wondered if there are any clubs in the South Hams region?

Cheerz Joel

• RMweb Gold

Well there is the Scalefour Society Area group at Teignmouth and a couple of clubs in Plymouth, but apart from that nothing else. Exeter has a couple I believe.

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Premium

About ten years ago I was a member of a club in Newton Abbot...as far as I recall there were two. I think they were called the Teignbridge MRC but memory is a little hazy. They had two layouts on the go...a big N gauge of Newton Abbot station in the 1950s-60s and a model of a small wayside station in 00 - I think Bovey Tracey in GWR days.

Would be interested to know if they are still around...

• RMweb Gold

There is a club based at Abbotskerswell, just outside Newton Abbot (Totnes side), who have a large OO and N permanent layout. They hold an annual show at their premises, which is a small but friendly event, each September I believe.

I think there's also a club at Dawlish, but the last I heard, there may have been problems with their long term tenure in their accommodation - hopefully that's resolved now.

• RMweb Premium

There is a club based at Abbotskerswell, just outside Newton Abbot (Totnes side), who have a large OO and N permanent layout. They hold an annual show at their premises, which is a small but friendly event, each September I believe.

Ah, now that rings a bell... I suspect this is the lot that I was involved with...

• 1 year later...

The club at Abbotskerswell is the South Devon Model Railway Society. It has been going for over 40 years. I was a member in the early days when we used to meet in the local model shop (now sadly gone). I think I once saw some contact details on the Torbay Council website.

• 3 weeks later...

The South Devon MRS has its annual open day on 1st October.

I have copied the flier below.

The SDMRS website is at http://www.sdmrs.org.uk/intro.htm

I will probably be running trains on the N gauge, which will likely be a mix of American, European & British stock.

Jeff

THE SOUTH DEVON MODEL RAILWAY SOCIETY’S 21ST ANNUAL

MODEL RAILWAY

OPEN DAY

THE CHURCH HOUSE IN THE CENTRE OF ABBOTSKERSWELL

Saturday 1st October

10:30am – 4:30pm

On show will be the society’s 2 large layouts, in ‘OO’ and ‘N’ gauge, plus a demonstration and display of railway paintings by local artist Fred Cox. There will also be a visiting ‘HO’ German layout. All proceeds go to the Abbotskerswell Church House Trustees.

Light Refreshments available

Adults £1-00 Children/OAP 50p Family £2-50

• 2 weeks later...

If there is enough intrest i would like to look into the feasability of starting a new club in the torbay/south hams area.

If anyone is interested please pm me and hopefully we can start the ball rolling.

All intrests will hopefully be catered for and if goes according to plan will be quite a large club.

Look forward to hearing from interested parties.

Regards

Dave

• 7 months later...

Archived