Orbit Supertroller

Moonraking Red

• RMweb Gold

I have a stand-alone Orbit Supertroller (twin), a bit long in the tooth but still works well.

7495E977-CA1B-42CF-A4A5-919ACE66F2CA.jpeg.038004e7563ae197ee5dca3f353852de.jpeg6706EA1F-4A99-458F-A4AB-7FFF1850678B.jpeg.5e98e97c89632173752e223d3a8290ac.jpeg

My query relates to wiring a continuous layout, twin track with various loops, etc. Can this controller be wired using common return method? From my background reading, I think the C terminals pictured for 12v  are common to both control knobs so a short will occur. But what do I know!

Not comfortable with anything electrical, so any advice greatly appreciated.

After reading Ben Adler's future post in which he says " the C C terminals are for a seperately developed hand held extra controller that does provide cab control and are not for any other purpose."

I have changed this post to reflect this new (to me) information

I Have never seen one of these but looking at some images in google there is one image of the front panel with 2 transformers connected to it

This suggests to me that this twin controller could work with common rail return

Looking at the back terminals I think the + & - terminals are uncontrolled  controlled DC out 

The x & x terminals are AC out

& the C & C terminals are Controller out (I think, not commons)See Ben Adlers post 

If you have a multi-meter  check the output at all the terminals

The drawing shows what voltages i would expect to find at the terminals

The 12V DC terminals could show as high as 20V  but any voltage between 12V & 20V should be OK

The voltage on these terminals  (12V DC) should vary from 0V to 12V (with load) in line with the knob position

The nominal AC voltage is 16V AC but could range between 12 & 18V AC & be OK

If I am correct in assuming that the a,b & c,d (renamed from c for ease of ID) terminals are the controller outputs

If all of the above is correct then connecting b & d together & to the common rail should work

If I am correct in assuming that the C1 + , -  & C2 + , -  terminals are the controller outputs

And if all of the above is correct then connecting C1 - & C2 + together & to the common rail should work

902677697_dccontrollerv2.png.95a6ec0f8ddd13ab730e5910a4488f46.png

Any where that the a train crosses from one controller to the other there should be an IRJ (shown as a gap in the image)

As i said earlier my knowledge of this controller is from an image on goggle & some guesswork so connecting this controller as common rail is done at your risk

John

Edited to reflect new information from Ben Adler's post (about 3 posts in the future)

Edited by John ks
mistake

• RMweb Gold

Whilst you've got the meter out, and with the controller not plugged in obviously, test the resistances across the all of the C terminals separately against each other, that should give you an idea of what is connected to which.

Afterthought.

Drill out the rivets and see what's going on inside the casing if you feel confident enough, self tappers will be perfectly adequate to replace the outer casing.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
Afterthought.

Late on parade here, sorry. I use Orbits still  - the panel versions - and acquired a double cased one a year or two ago as a back up. Anyway, I dug out the literature that came with the various ones I have and the C C terminals are for a seperately developed hand held extra controller that does provide cab control and are not for any other purpose. How it is all done internally I don't know but the booklet specifically warns against opening it up , mentioning a major safety barrier incorporated inside it. I had various conversations with Leon, the man behind it all and he did his best to explain the workings to me but it went over my head, I'm afraid. According to write ups in the MRJ at the time it is a blend of half and full wave rectification and gives a very smooth operation. Leon died some twenty years ago and the range vanished - apparently the Shipley Railway Society had it at one time- and the chances of finding the auxiliary controller are next to nil, I imagine.

2 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

the C C terminals are for a seperately developed hand held extra controller that does provide cab control and are not for any other purpose

After reading your post i have edited my previous post to reflect this new information

John 

I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of a thoroughly bored astronaut stuck onboard the ISS, spending hours every day, bombarding social media platforms with antagonistic and wind-up messages.

A serious question though.

How safe are all these old electrical controllers after all these years?

Especially if they’ve been left in storage in dusty, cold lofts or garden sheds?

What are the risks of degradation to the wiring, insulation, solder joints etc, etc, presenting a safety risk?

It’s a genuine question, as there used to be a number of warnings posted by members in the past, when the chatter involved old H&M and other varieties of these devices.

IIRC insulation going brittle was one issue to be aware of.