Helston Revisited

Andy Keane

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Yes, on the ground there was a wooden structure covering the rodding coming out of the frame whick looks to have been made of old sleepers so this would probably take a foot of the apprent height at the front.

Normally the covers over leading off beds were made of planks of timber in many cases (but not always) bolted on top of  steel straps which formed a hinge.  Solid enough to allow them to be walked over but they could easily be lifted for maintenance.  Sleepers would have been far too thick and heavy to allow easy maintenance access

PM on the way shortly showing a photo of one.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah yes - now I look I have a photo showing 5 longways planks with three hinged to fold up and lean against the 'box wall. They look to be around 9" wide, ie the same as a brick length. And of course to be liftable could not be as heavy as sleepers - so perhaps 3 inches thick?

Andy

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Started to plan the track laying, now the baseboards are built. I am trying to plan with AnyRail but since I have a hand built entrance throat this is a bit involved. Also I have to allow for point motors and baseboard stiffeners and joints as well, so a lots of faffing around. This pencil line is for the tightest curve I have and it works out at just about 31" radius - I think if I place the 30" Traksetta on its inside it will about do what I need. Fiddle yard is going to be six roads and lies to the left. The well known road bridge will be just on the corner board with the track emerging from it on a much gentler and realistic radius.20211119_200713.jpg.60f4e4dbcc2e1514dce742c76ebcad18.jpg

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Internal walls, fireplace, clock and window cills now installed and just a few more bricks left to paint. Next I have to glaze and install the windows before fitting all the interior bits and bobs and finally the roof and guttering. The 'box is taking longer than the goods shed and loco shed combined! The wiring will give me a fire in the hearth and a light in the roof.

20211120_163147.jpg.4e756679c30726b42c2c2e7c744a8102.jpg20211120_163215.jpg.e085c79b9b6840f16ae33550c77d4008.jpg

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I have now weathered down the brickwork and installed the glazing. This is not quite as neat as I would like but this is my second attempt and I think doing better is beyond me. I have found sticking the thin clear sheet film to the window bars really tricky given my fat fingers - I am almost tempted to simply leave the windows unglazed. I would appreciate any thoughts on what glue would be best - I have tried superglue and epoxy - superglue went everywhere and did not stick well so curretly its epoxy. Maybe given this is such a small model it will not show anyway.20211124_195422.jpg.13d79a79b5e23fa7c466b5bcef5a1b42.jpg20211124_195435.jpg.b8cb5fb4676aeba2146e65273cbed714.jpg

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, MJI said:

I have bought a glazing glue to try out, Delux Materials, will trial when I glaze one of my carriages.

Martin

thanks for this - a new one on me that I wish I had seen earlier - I have ordered some up.

Andy

• Like 1

I knew spmebody would mention DeLuxe Glue & Glaze, which I've not tried largely

as I'm not inclined to speculate the higher price, for no particular job.

I have, however, been using Hobbycraft Clear PVA, which was worth a punt at a

couple of quid when I saw it. I realise it's not guaranteed to hold plastics very well,

but we aren't inclined to poke our glazing out. Have also used it for small amounts

of water, to my satisfaction.

All the best

TONY

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Who remembers the Cadburys chocolate machines on the platform…. I do… just!

My memories are of money in and nothing falling out and a cross young man! My father warned me but I was hungry!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Andy Keane said:

Do you know if the transfer is just the lettering or does it wrap the whole side of the wagon. I may try and convert some Bachmann wagons with them.

I haven’t used the transfers but relevant kit components are pre printed. As good as any RTR printing. Everything was very neat on mine, it seemed a shame to weather it.

• RMweb Premium
On 26/11/2021 at 08:33, TrevorP1 said:

I haven’t used the transfers but relevant kit components are pre printed. As good as any RTR printing. Everything was very neat on mine, it seemed a shame to weather it.

Could you post a photo of your built kit please?

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Could you post a photo of your built kit please?

No problem. This is their china clay wagon. Based on the Slaters Gloucester Wagon Co. vehicle. Normally it runs the other way around where I've tried to simulate a wagon in it's last days in order to match my period, but I think this shot is best to show what the lettering is like. This is from my 'loaded' train and eventually it will get a tarpaulin.

The Ratio BR wagon is from the other extreme in terms of age and has roller bearing axleboxes. I only run one or two like this.

IMG_8217.jpeg.fc11dee37c713b92dd3fc3c62376d3c8.jpeg

• Like 4

On 25/11/2021 at 20:26, Andy Keane said:

I notice Bachmann now sell 7 plank wagon sets containing the Helston Gas Company coal wagon number 30. Its a pity these are not available individually since I would like a couple for the layout.

Kernow model rail centre commissioned a twin pack of Helston Gas Company open wagons in OO scale from Dapol some years ago, there was also a 7mm scale version made later! 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

No problem. This is their china clay wagon. Based on the Slaters Gloucester Wagon Co. vehicle. Normally it runs the other way around where I've tried to simulate a wagon in it's last days in order to match my period, but I think this shot is best to show what the lettering is like. This is from my 'loaded' train and eventually it will get a tarpaulin.

The Ratio BR wagon is from the other extreme in terms of age and has roller bearing axleboxes. I only run one or two like this.

IMG_8217.jpeg.fc11dee37c713b92dd3fc3c62376d3c8.jpeg

Nice. Did you build any of the Helston Gas wagons ?

Edited by Andy Keane

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kernowtim said:

Kernow model rail centre commissioned a twin pack of Helston Gas Company open wagons in OO scale from Dapol some years ago, there was also a 7mm scale version made later! 

Thanks,  I will leave a search running on ebay.