Helston Revisited

Andy Keane

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I next need to give my hills a brown base coat to represent the soil before adding grass.

What colour do people prefer from this palette:

https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/colour-details/filters/h_Warm neutral#tabId=item0
I think maybe “rubble road” - a greyish brown?

How are you going to grass it Andy? Personally I would use a static grass applicator after a base coat of paint.

I might be inclined to go for something softer, maybe “soft truffle”… but a lot will depend what the surface is made from…

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A general comment...IMHO if you get it slightly wrong its easier to make light colours darker than vice versa......and in the real world colours look lighter than we think...so that's two votes for a lite start from me...

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

How are you going to grass it Andy? Personally I would use a static grass applicator after a base coat of paint.

I might be inclined to go for something softer, maybe “soft truffle”… but a lot will depend what the surface is made from…

Yes the plan is static grass over the top. My base is white foam coat which is a bit like hard plaster.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Yes the plan is static grass over the top. My base is white foam coat which is a bit like hard plaster.

In which case, can I suggest getting a couple of tester pots from B&Q then… A darker and a lighter colour, a white base might make the lighter colour too insipid.

Have fun with the Static Grass machine, I have great fun when I get it out. I use the Woodland scenics one and the results are very good. I use woodland scenics grass as well… the lighter the better.

We always think of grass being very green, when in fact during summer, it’s very bleached out.

Have fun and don’t be afraid to experiment, if it goes wrong (paint or grass), wait for it to dry and just go over it again. Indeed of course, static grass is best applied in layers. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

In which case, can I suggest getting a couple of tester pots from B&Q then… A darker and a lighter colour, a white base might make the lighter colour too insipid.

Have fun with the Static Grass machine, I have great fun when I get it out. I use the Woodland scenics one and the results are very good. I use woodland scenics grass as well… the lighter the better.

We always think of grass being very green, when in fact during summer, it’s very bleached out.

Have fun and don’t be afraid to experiment, if it goes wrong (paint or grass), wait for it to dry and just go over it again. Indeed of course, static grass is best applied in layers. 

All good advice - test pieces would work well..I've certainly done it...

48486711421_fb0f4ec478_z.jpg

48486870082_59afde9112_z.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

Did you do the clumps in situ? I spoke to Chris Nevard about doing clumps a while back, he suggested PVA on greaseproof paper and then applying the grass. Let it all dry and pull off the clumps. 

I’ve yet to try it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

That background brown does indeed look more like soft truffle. And I should say looks great.

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Neal Ball said:

Did you do the clumps in situ? I spoke to Chris Nevard about doing clumps a while back, he suggested PVA on greaseproof paper and then applying the grass. Let it all dry and pull off the clumps. 

I’ve yet to try it.

That was all static grass with a bit of Woodland scenics clump foliage for a bit of depth on the grassy back - the tufts are a mixture of various carefully chosen commercial offerings including PECO and WWS - some are a little bit uniform and better suited to wargaming than railway sidings...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Andy Keane said:

That background brown does indeed look more like soft truffle.

I knew that my plan was for the base layer to be well covered with layers of static grass etc so actual shade was not critical - IIRC I mixed the paint into a ready mixed filler as a layer over the foam so any chips or damage would not show...

Chris

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

I next need to give my hills a brown base coat to represent the soil before adding grass.

What colour do people prefer from this palette:

https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/colour-details/filters/h_Warm neutral#tabId=item0
I think maybe “rubble road” - a greyish brown?

You could always assume that its spring or autumn and the bank burning has been completed (or even part completed) so the ground could be a sort of plant ash grey with blackened remains of grass etc.  Not a lot of people model that.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

You could always assume that its spring or autumn and the bank burning has been completed (or even part completed) so the ground could be a sort of plant ash grey with blackened remains of grass etc.  Not a lot of people model that.

I have friends who'd like to reproduce that effect on my layouts....authentically...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

I have seen some lovely models with all sorts on including even snow but my real target is Jeff Grainger's article in the July BRM. If I can get someway towards his cuttings I will be happy at that and put of more adventurous stuff to another day.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I have seen some lovely models with all sorts on including even snow but my real target is Jeff Grainger's article in the July BRM. If I can get someway towards his cuttings I will be happy at that and put of more adventurous stuff to another day.

FWIW I found Greenscenes had the most subtle grass colours (Spring colours for me IIRC) buts it worth keeping an eye out at shows - I also frequent military modelling events as the availability of weathering and scenic "stuff" seems better there..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I don’t suppose anyone is driving from Derby to the Warley show on Saturday? I had planned to use the train of course!

Sadly my plans were scuppered by the rail strike - of which we seem to have a few more coming up...this from RailAdvent

RMT, the rail union, has announced a series of 48 hour strikes in December and January after bosses failed to agree a settlement.

Members of rail staff will take strike action on the 13th, 14th, 16th, 17th December as well as January 3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th.

Additionally, RMT has announced an overtime ban between 18th December and 2nd January – meaning members of the union will be taking industrial action for four weeks.

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Unfortunately I cannot make the Sunday - such is life - next year it will have to be. I will just do the local shows between now and Christmas.

Stay tuned on the Saturday on-line then.... there might be something of interest 😎 at least as far as new products are concerned.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

In the end I have decided to drive to the NEC on Saturday. Hopefully the traffic will not be too bad and its just 48 miles from my daughter's place in Derby so not too bad.

I will try and resist spending cash. But will probably fail!

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

In the end I have decided to drive to the NEC on Saturday. Hopefully the traffic will not be too bad and its just 48 miles from my daughter's place in Derby so not too bad.

Andy

I'm sure some of us will look forward to a vicarious Warley experience courtesy of your good self Andy...no trains = no show from the deepest West Country sadly

Chris H

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Andy

Good luck at resisting purchases Andy. My excuse is that I am too far away…. 

Don’t forget to post as many photos as possible..😎📸📷🎥

Thanks

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Good luck at resisting purchases Andy. My excuse is that I am too far away…. 

Don’t forget to post as many photos as possible..😎📸📷🎥

Thanks

Will take a camera and hope to get what my wife calls my "snaps" - my photography can be a bit haphazard. Are there any layouts anyone would most like a picture of?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Andy Keane said:

Will take a camera and hope to get what my wife calls my "snaps" - my photography can be a bit haphazard. Are there any layouts anyone would most like a picture of?

I think we mostly want to share your retail excitement.....

C

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/11/2022 at 21:46, Andy Keane said:

There are a couple of announcements already that would be ideal for Helston….. apparently today, all roads lead to the Rapido stand!

Enjoy

• Agree 3