Helston Revisited

Andy Keane

• RMweb Premium

While setting out the goods platform I have gotten a Ratio cattle dock kit which seems to be a rather useful thing for building my set of three pens (I may also use some of the concrete post and stout steel fencing elsewhere on the station). One thing it includes is a concrete drain system to lay between and either side of the rails where they are in front of the dock. From the few pictures of such docks I have seen this was not a common practice and of course I cannot find a picture of the track at that point for Helston. Does anyone know anything about how the track might have been handled by such docks on the GWR? My current plan is to put those bits to one side - though I might later on use them inside the carriage shed where perhaps a concrete floor would have been more likely.

Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Have you got Karau's, "Great Western Branch Line Termini"? There are some very clear views of the concrete drains alongside cattle docks at Ashbuton and Moretonhampstead in that book.

The same arrangement is also visible alongside the passenger platform at St Ives in some photos - so I guess it was used as a cattle dock at some point in its life.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

While setting out the goods platform I have gotten a Ratio cattle dock kit which seems to be a rather useful thing for building my set of three pens (I may also use some of the concrete post and stout steel fencing elsewhere on the station). One thing it includes is a concrete drain system to lay between and either side of the rails where they are in front of the dock. From the few pictures of such docks I have seen this was not a common practice and of course I cannot find a picture of the track at that point for Helston. Does anyone know anything about how the track might have been handled by such docks on the GWR? My current plan is to put those bits to one side - though I might later on use them inside the carriage shed where perhaps a concrete floor would have been more likely.

Andy

Penryn on the Falmouth branch also had a concrete section which sloped toward the centre of the track and an open gulley to take the waste water from washing down the dock. By the time Ifirst saw it, mid 1960's, it was out of use for cattle but was used to load horses during the summer time. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks both for the input on cattle dock drains - I have now been and looked in my volumes of Karau and yes there they are - should have done that first. So it seems many docks did have these drains. I think then it would be fun to add them on my layout since I doubt I will ever find out for sure about Helston.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Rather than try and butcher a Dapol signal to extend its height, and following a thought from @The StationmasterI have decided to place the Down Main Home slightly up the embankment before the bridge. That way the top signal peeps over the bridge parapet as it should. It will need the slopes changing slightly and some filler for blending but the idea is a set of old sleepers has been used to form the steps up and I will make a small gravelled area around the signal base.

20221030_153920.jpg.49657d8c83400dba883018e488082c16.jpg

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Seeing @MrWolf has an interest in such things how about modelling one of these at Helston (but clearly not in period)? maybe parked in the station forecourt (not great pictures but my Dad worked at the factory and raced them at places like Silverstone and its pretty much all we have):

SCAN0065.JPG.4d4911b1c40423c4dd692eea0affb965.JPG

SCAN0059.JPG.cc3f93a6fcad48c3d9866a8ea5331d6c.JPG

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/10/2022 at 16:17, Andy Keane said:

Thanks - it seems I am not alone. I am just down one set of etched cabside plates which I have instead ordered from Fox so not to worry.

Andy

To be fair they have now finally arrived some four weeks after the order so I have a spare set! The Fox ones came by return.

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Great photo of him down on the tank!

I managed to track down which race that was at and got some pictures of others crossing the finish line and had this commissioned for his 70th birthday (now in my study):

20221103_185102.jpg.042c8e41734b749b7df9f5240b4d19fc.jpg

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 15

20 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Seeing @MrWolf has an interest in such things how about modelling one of these at Helston (but clearly not in period)? maybe parked in the station forecourt (not great pictures but my Dad worked at the factory and raced them at places like Silverstone and its pretty much all we have):

The bike looks circa 1948, if you are looking for a period prewar Vincent HRD, the Series A was very similar, but with a chromed tank.

I don't have many pictures of my dad either, this one was taken around 1959, the bike is an export version (crash loop, hi-way bars etc) Norton Dominator 88 from 1954 and it's still on the road.

IMG_20221103_185632.jpg.28171488e077dce22513954e9f44148a.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The bike looks circa 1948, if you are looking for a period prewar Vincent HRD, the Series A was very similar, but with a chromed tank.

I don't have many pictures of my dad either, this one was taken around 1959, the bike is an export version (crash loop, hi-way bars etc) Norton Dominator 88 from 1954 and it's still on the road.

IMG_20221103_185632.jpg.28171488e077dce22513954e9f44148a.jpg

Yes 1948 would be about right. It was of course his pride and joy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Have been to Gt. Missenden for the weekend and built one ground signal and converted a Dapol bracket for the Up Main Advanced post:

Both work and have lights. The ground signals are incredibly fiddly - many thanks to Karl for his help.

20221106_084044.jpg.656144f2a97b154da1a4b1701b5bd96f.jpg

20221106_123718.jpg.6aa8dae01c6455226fb16c92ad0cfeb7.jpg

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

• RMweb Gold

Wow, that pair look lovely Andy. Very well executed, particularly with the ground signal.

I may need to look into Gt. Missenden's courses, now that Pendon have (temporarilly I hope) ceased theirs, as I'm still looking for a security blanket for a first 4mm loco chassis build.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/11/2022 at 18:43, Andy Keane said:

The top picture shows why they were sometimes referred to as “ the plumbers nightmare “ !

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 06/11/2022 at 17:10, longchap said:

I may need to look into Gt. Missenden's courses, now that Pendon have (temporarilly I hope) ceased theirs, as I'm still looking for a security blanket for a first 4mm loco chassis build.

I've done three of their weekend kit building sessions, and can thoroughly recommend them.  The tutors are excellent, and the sharing of ideas with other attendees is also very helpful.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, figworthy said:

I've done three of their weekend kit building sessions, and can thoroughly recommend them.  The tutors are excellent, and the sharing of ideas with other attendees is also very helpful.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I had a look at their website in 2021 when I was looking for loco chassis building courses, following the very sad passing of Mick Bonwick and Pendon cancelling their modelling courses. I'll look again for next year, as it is rather stimulating learning from experts and in the company of like minded souls.

Bill

Edited by longchap
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, longchap said:

Thanks Adrian, I had a look at their website in 2021 when I was looking for loco chassis building courses, following the very sad passing of Mick Bonwick and Pendon cancelling their modelling courses. I'll look again for next year, as it is rather stimulating learning from experts and in the company of like minded souls.

Bill

The Missenden course are really a great deal of fun. Karl who ran the signal building was brilliant and very helpful. I am booked into the loco kit building course in the spring to make a start on a Metro tank kit.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1