Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Railway Children Return. Sequel coming 15 July 2022.

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

As for stopping a train by standing in the four foot what we used to do with anyone who did that was send for a Doctor to get them carted off to an appropriate place unless they were clearly suicidal in which case they were taken to somewhere where a second Doctor's certificate wouldn't be immediately sought.  In simple terms if you pop into the four foot to stop a moving train the main thing which is going to suffer is you and regrettably I have had to pick up the pieces of some who tried it.  Showing that in a film is downriught stupid.

A professional would KNOW that standing in the 4ft, would mean that a steam train crew would have LESS chance of being seen, not more. Let alone the safety issue.

I suspect the director (not a GCR one!) was thinking more of the view from a car!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, dibber25 said:

I wasn't suggesting that the train shouldn't have stopped and I certainly did not relate the stopping in any way to what might have happened to the black soldier. I was merely criticising the manner in which it appears to stop with a juddering halt like a sports car, which, if it had been for real, would certainly have run the child down. My criticism is that it re-inforces the (apparently widely-held) misconception that trains can stop on a sixpence. (CJL)

Understood, and I wasn’t under the impression that you were making that relation; my view is that the danger of what could have happened to Abe fuelled the desperation to stop the train. 

Reassuringly, the actor who plays Thomas doesn’t actually seem to stand in front of a moving train - from the lighting I could tell that they did two shots (one with the actor, one with the train) and edited them together.

I agree about the danger of reinforcing that misconception. Another railway related misconception came in lockdown when people assumed that there were no trains running and so posed for photos in very dangerous settings. It shouldn’t take Network Rail to issue a reminder saying to people that the railway was still fully operational regardless of what legislation was being imposed on citizens.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2022 at 22:59, Nova Scotian said:

Reading "Five Children and IT" to my kids at the moment - which has had a number of TV and film versions. I've not seen the 2014 film, the 90s TV version was good.

The film was 2004, not 2014. It was filmed on the Isle of Man and featured one of the last screen appearances by Sir Norman Wisdom as a shopkeeper called Nesbitt!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Liam said:

Reassuringly, the actor who plays Thomas doesn’t actually seem to stand in front of a moving train - from the lighting I could tell that they did two shots (one with the actor, one with the train) and edited them together.

In the 1971 film, Jenny stood in front of the locomotive, they filmed the train backing away, then played it backwards!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Liam said:

Very sad - it was less than 24 hours ago was I chatting about him to colleagues and a general consensus that he was a legend was agreed. The film has been out for nearly two weeks though, so he may have just been able to see it. 

Indeed, I only posted "Right Said Fred" on another thread on this forum just a couple of days ago.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...

Had to be done. 🙂

One thing I’ll say to anyone watching it is that you should compare the film to the original story rather than the classic 1970 film. This way, it’s easy to pick out the continuity of the story and the character traits, and in this respect there’s quite a bit to unpack. 

3D134ED4-8CDE-4B5F-991A-A797019107A5.jpeg.943a70fd888fc93b21eaa7f55119f5d2.jpeg

• Like 2

I finally got around to watching it. The premise was good with some very nice nods to the original story, but I thought the script was a bit weak. The acting was very good.

For the railway bits, they did quite a good job with the Jubilee, 4MT and S160 although the Standard Class 2 stood out like a sore thumb!

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...