The Railway Children Return. Sequel coming 15 July 2022.

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

I am imagining a further sequel, set in the present day, when Jenny Agutter's grandchildren try to stop a train running into a landslip but are prevented from doing so by the spiked metal security fencing.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

9 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I am imagining a further sequel, set in the present day, when Jenny Agutter's grandchildren try to stop a train running into a landslip but are prevented from doing so by the spiked metal security fencing.

Jenny Agutter's grandchildren would be waiting on the road nearest the landslip site checking Twitter to find out why their First West Yorks bus hasn't turned up.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Jenny Agutter's grandchildren would be waiting on the road nearest the landslip site checking Twitter to find out why their First West Yorks bus hasn't turned up.

Or waiting with phones ready to film the crash & be the first to post it on 'so-shull meeja'. 🙄😡

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 05/07/2022 at 14:57, t-b-g said:

Or, they are well-trained young citizens and know how to phone Network Rail call centre.

We are experiencing a high volume of calls at the present time, please hold while we try to connect you to one of our operators....

Several hours later...

We are experiencing a high volume of calls at the present time, please hold while we try to connect you to one of our operators....

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I have to admit, always a fan of the original and was interested in seeing this until I discovered Sheridan Smith had been cast in it.  Can't stand her I am afraid.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I think the pattern of sequels is pretty clear.

The Railway Children Return: Jenny Agutter's young grandchildren are evacuated to Oakworth during WW2.

The Railway Children 3: Jenny Agutter's now adult grandchildren try to stop Beeching closing the line. They fail.

The Railway Children 4: Jenny Agutter's teenage great grandchildren vandalise the local bus on their way to a football match in Leeds.

The Railway Children 5: Jenny Agutter's now adult great grandchildren oppose the privatisation of their local council bus.

The Railway Children 6: Jenny Agutter's great great grandchildren wonder why the First West Yorks bus hasn't turned up and complain about it on social media.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 08/07/2022 at 13:03, DavidB-AU said:

I think the pattern of sequels is pretty clear.

The Railway Children Return: Jenny Agutter's young grandchildren are evacuated to Oakworth during WW2.

The Railway Children 3: Jenny Agutter's now adult grandchildren try to stop Beeching closing the line. They fail.

The Railway Children 4: Jenny Agutter's teenage great grandchildren vandalise the local bus on their way to a football match in Leeds.

The Railway Children 5: Jenny Agutter's now adult great grandchildren oppose the privatisation of their local council bus.

The Railway Children 6: Jenny Agutter's great great grandchildren wonder why the First West Yorks bus hasn't turned up and complain about it on social media.

The Railway Children 7: Jenny Agutter's Great Great Great Grandchildren couldn't care a toss about buses and trains and are "Influencers" on Facebook.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The Railway Children 7: Jenny Agutter's Great Great Great Grandchildren couldn't care a toss about buses and trains and are "Influencers" on Facebook.

The Railway Children 8: Jenny Agutter's Great Great Great Grandchildren launch a media campaign against Albert Perks (the station master) to cancel him for his outrageous use of the wrong gender pronouns. All because he called one railway engine "she".

• Funny 2

Christ, some threads I should know better than to read.

Reading back over the twaddle  - if you really think the younger generations are that broken, guess who raised them?

The film will be on my watch list - love Jenny Agutter, even though I don't hold high hopes for this given the reviews. The original was brilliant, though of its time - when I put it on for my kids there are a couple of things we talk through beforehand that aren't okay today. 

• Like 2

I’d be interested to hear which bits need to be “talked through”.

Being the age I am, I’m a fan of the original, but it took me years to convince other half and children to watch it, because they were sure it was going to be “some boring old railway film that only dad would want to watch”. When we did sit down to watch it, they were captivated, because it’s really a human-interest, rather than railway-interest, story.

Whether we’ll all go to watch the new version I’m not sure, but certainly daughter and self will.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I’d be interested to hear which bits need to be “talked through”.

Being the age I am, I’m a fan of the original, but it took me years to convince other half and children to watch it, because they were sure it was going to be “some boring old railway film that only dad would want to watch”. When we did sit down to watch it, they were captivated, because it’s really a human-interest, rather than railway-interest, story.

Whether we’ll all go to watch the new version I’m not sure, but certainly daughter and self will.

From memory, not much, just a couple of things - compared to many it has lasted much better. It's just placing it in historical context. It's set more than 100 years before my kids were born and they don't pick up on the subtleties of class, "being poor", etc. It's educating them on the way things were at the time - what was okay then, what's okay now. Phyliss near the end talking about marrying a man with a smashed in nose rather than not marrying a man at all I talk through with my daughters - it's not a nefarious one at all, but a great opportunity to talk through why someone might say that, what's good about that view, what's not, where my kids think they land. (FYI I love that quote and often use it at my partner!)

It's one of my kids' favourite films. They asked to watch it this weekend.

Other films require more - Swallow and Amazons is another favourite, but there's more to talk through there in terms of certain depictions... (though it's still gentle and mostly not problematic). We watched the original Lady and the Tramp recently, the depiction of the Siamese cats (the eyes, the "Chinglish" etc) is problematic, as is the stereotype around the Italians. Beforehand i just talk to my kids - why people may have thought it was okay then, why it's not okay now, why it's better not to be mean. 

I own the original on DVD, but it's region 2, and multi-region DVD players are hen's teeth now (I live in Canada). For a while laptops etc were a good fix, as you could set those to multi-region more easily, but then they took dvd drives out of laptops!

Not sure when this one will make it across the pond. My kids will want to watch it, they like Bobby.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

From memory, not much, just a couple of things - compared to many it has lasted much better. It's just placing it in historical context. It's set more than 100 years before my kids were born and they don't pick up on the subtleties of class, "being poor", etc. It's educating them on the way things were at the time - what was okay then, what's okay now. Phyliss near the end talking about marrying a man with a smashed in nose rather than not marrying a man at all I talk through with my daughters - it's not a nefarious one at all, but a great opportunity to talk through why someone might say that, what's good about that view, what's not, where my kids think they land. (FYI I love that quote and often use it at my partner!)

Other films require more - Swallow and Amazons is another favourite, but there's more to talk through there in terms of certain depictions... (though it's still gentle and mostly not problematic). We watched the original Lady and the Tramp recently, the depiction of the Siamese cats (the eyes, the "Chinglish" etc) is problematic, as is the stereotype around the Italians. Beforehand i just talk to my kids - why people may have thought it was okay then, why it's not okay now, why it's better not to be mean. 

I own the original on DVD, but it's region 2, and multi-region DVD players are hen's teeth now (I live in Canada). For a while laptops etc were a good fix, as you could set those to multi-region more easily, but then they took dvd drives out of laptops!

Not sure when this one will make it across the pond. My kids will want to watch it, they like Bobby.

Blimey, I hope they've not been too traumatised by the relationship between Inspector Clouseau and Cato.... 🙄😉

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nova Scotian said:

Hmm,  hardly something that goes back 100 years is it even though it was written in 1905.  People are still poor and many were really poor until comparatively recent times.  My grandmother was put into domestic service as soon as she was considered old enough to leave home  (pre Great War); my great aunt was at one time a hotel chambermaid and later - for many years into the 1970s  - in domestic service as a housekeeper.  Neither of my grandparents' homes had an indoor toilet and one of them had as its only mains service a water tap outside the back door - and none of that was 100 years ago.  The past is an awful lot closer than we sometimes like to think.

And 'Swallows and Amazons' is exactly what it says on the tin - if you're old enough to read the book you're plenty old enough to watch the film in its correct context.  Maybe a good idea to buy a copy of the book, and a copy of 'The Railway Children'?

I have a strong suspicion judging by what has been said about it that the big warning that should come with the new 'Railway Children' film is watch out for the anachronisms - starting with part of the storyline.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

When we did sit down to watch it, they were captivated, because it’s really a human-interest, rather than railway-interest, story.

Daddy! My Daddy!!!

Pause here while grown men burst into tears.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 2

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Hmm,  hardly something that goes back 100 years is it even though it was written in 1905.  People are still poor and many were really poor until comparatively recent times.  My grandmother was put into domestic service as soon as she was considered old enough to leave home  (pre Great War); my great aunt was at one time a hotel chambermaid and later - for many years into the 1970s  - in domestic service as a housekeeper.  Neither of my grandparents' homes had an indoor toilet and one of them had as its only mains service a water tap outside the back door - and none of that was 100 years ago.  The past is an awful lot closer than we sometimes like to think.

And 'Swallows and Amazons' is exactly what it says on the tin - if you're old enough to read the book you're plenty old enough to watch the film in its correct context.  Maybe a good idea to buy a copy of the book, and a copy of 'The Railway Children'?

I have a strong suspicion judging by what has been said about it that the big warning that should come with the new 'Railway Children' film is watch out for the anachronisms - starting with part of the storyline.

The point to be made on the “poor” stuff is not that there is no poverty now. It’s pointing out that although the children become poorer compared to the life they led previously, they still have occasional help, they are not poor by the standards of many around them. It begins with their new “poorness” being treated as a game. It’s not a game for people. Peter’s stealing of the coal is a great one to talk kids though. My kids come from a privileged background and don’t understand poverty - I doubt they’d comprehend the nuance of that story without talking it through given their age. Stealing coal is not something they can relate to. 

I have copies of both books for my children, thank you. 

My grandmother left school at 14 and grew up in the docklands. Same thing on indoor plumbing etc. However this isn’t about my connection to that time as a grown man. It’s about how my kids understand it, yet another generation removed, at the age of 8. 

Edited by Nova Scotian

53 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

Stealing coal is not something they can relate to. 

Funnily enough, I can relate very closely to it, because in the deep, hard winter of 1963, when coal was frozen in railway wagons and really difficult to get hold of, someone took to stealing it from our coal bunker, which my father had invested a fortune stocking a few weeks before, in readiness for the birth at home of my new baby brother.

A booby-trap of empty milk bottles and string was rigged-up across the garden path and the next night all the bottles came down with a crash and a clatter. No more coal stolen. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

42 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Funnily enough, I can relate very closely to it, because in the deep, hard winter of 1963, when coal was frozen in railway wagons and really difficult to get hold of, someone took to stealing it from our coal bunker, which my father had invested a fortune stocking a few weeks before, in readiness for the birth at home of my new baby brother.

A booby-trap of empty milk bottles and string was rigged-up across the garden path and the next night all the bottles came down with a crash and a clatter. No more coal stolen. 

Right, and my children were born 50 years after the event you describe.

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

The funny coloured Pannier is one thing that needs discussing. How dare they!?   🤬

I won't mention the "green" thing..... 🤢

The thing I learnt from the original film was don't sell secrets to the Russians as you'll end up in prison, or even worse, Yorkshire....

🤣🤣🤣🤣

15 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

Right, and my children were born 50 years after the event you describe.

Calm down mate; it’s only an anecdote/reminiscence. In fact it’s one of the several anecdotes/reminiscences that I bore my children witless with to make the point that things then were not quite as they are now.

My youngest particularly still can’t quite get her head around the idea that the only heating in a house was two coal fires, one of which was only ever lit for winter newborns - she finds the whole ‘fires indoors’ thing somehow medieval in its primitiveness!

• Like 2

Surely the most important aspect of the original film (which in my view is one of British cinema's greats) to discuss with kids today is about NOT trespassing on railway lines. It's the only aspect of the original movie that makes me cringe. That's far more important for kids to understand than the nuances of social history. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3