Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Transfers in Old K's Kits

seaber

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about what transfers came in the old K's 1400 kits, if any. On many of the boxes I've seen online, the word 'transfers' was crossed out. I wasn't sure if this meant some were supplied with transfers and some were not, as motor and gears don't seem to be crossed out on any boxes I have seen. 

I'd also be interested to know what the transfers depictes, as most built examples seem to bear either GWR or GREAT WESTERN transfers, not many have either version of the BR crest and I've only ever seen one shirtbutton crest 1400 built from a K's. From the amount of 1436s I've seen I'm guessing that is the numberplate supplied in the box. 

Thanks. 

Yes. 1436 was the number supplied. Also the number of Oliver from Thomas The Tank Engine. I believe that Rev Awdry had one. Also the K's kit 57XX had number plates for 5741 which was Duck. But the Rev's Duck was made by Gaiety. They were just whitemetal plates. Many modellers replaced them with brass.

Just had a look at the Dean Goods and the number is 2573. 

There was normally a small set of transfers. A bit like what you would get in an Airfix kit. I think they were made by PC who also made the sheets now sold by the HMRS. I think they stopped supplying them, probably why it's crossed out. ISTR you only got one set so GWR, Great Western, LMS, etc with a few numbers. Can't remember any BR though.

Two boxes I have at hand. Their bold.

Orange box for an LNER C1 4-4-2 - PAINT, TRANSFERS, ADHESIVE AND COUPLINGS NOT INCLUDED

Grey box for Dean Goods mentioned above - PAINT AND ADHESIVE NOT INCLUDED.

It does have couplings. But not transfers which are mentioned in the instructions. No motor either, which isn't a big deal as they are a bit rubbish. I assume both were removed by a previous owner.

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 1