Real Time trains comes to Heritage railways

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Reat Time Trains have started adding their data for heritage lines.

The first is the Swanage railway.

It's being done by GPS with some lines having fixed equipment but portable setups are apparently going to be available for galas etc for equipment that isn't permanently fitted with the devices.,

Here's a sample:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-pt:887/2021-05-29/detailed

Edit

The equipment is in the guards area of a brake coach and updates every 2 seconds

Edited by melmerby
Extra info added & clarified.
  • Informative/Useful 1

RTT started providing train data for Swanage Railway services back in 2017, here's a screenshot of the first southbound train on 5th May that year.

Data was also made available for the 2018 and 2019 diesel galas.  Not being a steam fan I don't know if other special events were covered as well.

image.png.a222403c1db96bccfa5341234f4c4757.png

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

What is the equipment they need to gather this data, and do you know whether impecunious heritage lines have to pay for it?

I got the info from Steam Railway but it is also on RTT site:

https://blog.realtimetrains.com/2021/05/going-full-circle-welcoming-the-swanage-railway/

I assume there must be a hire charge involved.

SWLines which operate RTT is a very small PLC.

OK, in that case I suppose it won't be spreading to all of the little preservation lines for economic reasons.

The departure display shown in link is probably worthwhile for the better known/bigger systems though - it may help give the punters a more professional impression than the historically correct 1950s blackboard with a chalked message on it.  I like its design.

The average casual visitor taking little Johnny for a ride on the choo choo doesn't want to have to use Victorian sanitation and is not impressed by sidings full of rusty lumps of metal a handful of which are being scraped down by amateurs in dirty overalls. 

It's the 21st Century, and accurate up to the minute  info is expected, even if "Next Train" fingerboards look quaint and help to create the period image.

• Agree 1

• AY Mod locked this topic