Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Garw 1975 by Stuart Warr

Garw Arrival

Love the short but steeply inclined siding on the extreme right. Try putting that on a layout and see what comments you get back! 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

On 31/05/2023 at 12:35, montyburns56 said:

If you need some inspiration for a modern shoebox layout.

Tees Yard 2012

66182 08711

Nice use of a three-way point, should be in "When the real thing looks like a model".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Grimly Feendish said:

Does anyone know why the windows are broken? Was vandalism a problem in 1960?

I don't think the windows are broken. Take a look at this pic of 5579 in the next platform. "Reflections" are almost identical.

D5579_Liverpool_Street2Edit.jpg.388bea0d1c9d7af11fb6a78baf161527.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

The Manchester Pullman in Mk3 days had two catering vehicles even into push-pull days. In earlier years it was a Mk1 RKB and a Mk3 RFB, later two RFM.

The IC125s had some two catering vehicle sets into the 1990s with the Tyne-Tees and Yorkshire Pullman sets having a TRFB and TRFK.

The IC225s had some Pullman sets with two SV until around the mid-90s.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Two catering cars may still happen - do the likes of class 220 and 800s carry two catering trollies when two units are multipled together?

The 1986/87 timetable had both the Manchester Pullman and Liverpool Pullman sets with two catering vehicle, Mk1 RKB and Mk3a RFB for the two Manchester Pullman sets whilst a Mk1 RBR and Mk3a RFB could be found on the Liverpool sets.

45940727091_986f57afba_w.jpg

86214, Tamworth by Jason Rodhouse, on Flickr

86233  Linslade 30-09-86

^John Dedman on flickr

85024 1A43 1200 Manchester  Piccadilly - Euston at Norton Bridge 11.07.1985

^Carl Brunnock on Flickr

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Two catering cars may still happen - do the likes of class 220 and 800s carry two catering trollies when two units are multipled together?

I don't think XC does double trolleys, not sure about GWR.

Avanti does normally staff both shops on double Super Voyagers and LNER both Café-Bars on 10-car Azuma formations.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Here is a picture by our very own Dave F from 1982 - still had two catering vehicles then

Morpeth Class 254 HST up April 82 C5652

Yeah, I knew about the early HST sets, but I was thinking more about loco hauled trains and especially the two MK1 RMB/RBR type set ups.

3 hours ago, Steven B said:

The 1986/87 timetable had both the Manchester Pullman and Liverpool Pullman sets with two catering vehicle, Mk1 RKB and Mk3a RFB for the two Manchester Pullman sets whilst a Mk1 RBR and Mk3a RFB could be found on the Liverpool sets.

45940727091_986f57afba_w.jpg

86214, Tamworth by Jason Rodhouse, on Flickr

86233  Linslade 30-09-86

^John Dedman on flickr

85024 1A43 1200 Manchester  Piccadilly - Euston at Norton Bridge 11.07.1985

^Carl Brunnock on Flickr

Steven B.

I must admit that I never knew that they were still using MK1 Restaurant cars in the Pullmans even at that late stage. Imagine paying a Pullman premium for the joy of a 1960s catering experience!

31 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Yeah, I knew about the early HST sets, but I was thinking more about loco hauled trains and especially the two MK1 RMB/RBR type set ups.

So the answer in that case would be, about the time that the services they were used on were replaced by a HST 😁

30 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I must admit that I never knew that they were still using MK1 Restaurant cars in the Pullmans even at that late stage. Imagine paying a Pullman premium for the joy of a 1960s catering experience!

What you mean proper cooking not some reheated hash 😁

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

What you mean proper cooking not some reheated hash 😁

Funnily enough, seeing the pictures of the Manchester Pullman inspired me to do some Googling about them and there is a very informative post on Railforums.co.uk about the history of the later LH MK3s. It mentions how after the the Mk 3 BFOs were built, some FOs were withdrawn and converted to RFMs using the Cuisine 2000 modular catering. Microwavetastic!

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/pullman-coaches.31111/

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Imagine paying a Pullman premium for the joy of a 1960s catering experience!

I thought Pullman passengers were served meals at-seat so making the meals in a standard Mk1 coach doesn't really matter. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Added to which, some very decent meals came out of Mk1 kitchens, probably still do on preserved railways and ‘specials’, and the cars rode quite decently on their later bogies.

IIRC, some of the cars still had loose chairs, which was a good thing, because they made sitting at table more comfortable than fixed ones.

The menus weren’t bad either. I used to travel standard, but then eat on the train as a treat, because that got you a first class seat, and at lunchtime you might be one of only two customers, so good portions too!  They made all their income from business travellers first thing in the morning and in the evening; lunch service had fallen out of popularity by the 70s, most people were happy with a sandwich, even the legendary BR ones. I don’t recall full lunch prices, but they weren’t so high that they were outside the range of a young, trainee or newly qualified engineer as I was at the time.

Rather a proper lunch in a Mk1 than the sort of thing available on most trains now.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

They are RKBs though - no seats in them! They have a kitchen almost the entire interior of the vehicle, a serving hatch one end and a buffet counter the other. The serving hatch end would usually be coupled against a dining car (often a normal air-con First Open, particularly by this stage), the buffet counter end towards 2nd/Std Class for their catering needs 

First Class Pullman travellers would've been seated in mostly the newest coaches on BR, the 1985 build Mk3B FOs - often regarded as the best First Class vehicles built.

1 hour ago, keefer said:

I thought Pullman passengers were served meals at-seat so making the meals in a standard Mk1 coach doesn't really matter. 

Asides from the fact that an RKB has no seats anyway! ;)

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Added to which, some very decent meals came out of Mk1 kitchens, probably still do on preserved railways and ‘specials’, and the cars rode quite decently on their later bogies.

IIRC, some of the cars still had loose chairs, which was a good thing, because they made sitting at table more comfortable than fixed ones.

The menus weren’t bad either. I used to travel standard, but then eat on the train as a treat, because that got you a first class seat, and at lunchtime you might be one of only two customers, so good portions too!  They made all their income from business travellers first thing in the morning and in the evening; lunch service had fallen out of popularity by the 70s, most people were happy with a sandwich, even the legendary BR ones. I don’t recall full lunch prices, but they weren’t so high that they were outside the range of a young, trainee or newly qualified engineer as I was at the time.

Rather a proper lunch in a Mk1 than the sort of thing available on most trains now.

Again though, the mid-80s Manchester Pullman sets had an RKB (though substitutions were of course not unknown) which has no seats.

Any First Class passengers would've been sat primarily in the 'Pullman'-branded Mk3B FOs.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm a bit confused by some of the comments above (but not by 'Nearholmer's comments about Mk1 catering).   HST kitchens were capable of serving excellent meals and in the case of GWR's 'Travelling Chef' arrangement if you were in 1st Class your meal was served at your seat and it certainly didn't contain rehashed anything.   Similarly GWR Pullman catering was excellent on HSTs and i understand (but haven't sampled it) is rated very highly on IETs witha need for advance booking to ensure you get one of the limited number of places.

Similarly Mk1 kitchens were capable of serving superb meals of no lesser quality than anything else served on a train.  BTW on proper Pullman trains meals were also served to passengers in 2nd Class but I don't know if that carried on with the loco hauled WCML Pullmans but it had definitely been the case on the diesel 'Blue Pullman'  in their original workings (I know that because I regularly travelled on one and had a meal in 2nd Class).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1