Z21 Networking Issue

RFS

• RMweb Gold

After much thought I have decided to replace my ageing  Lenz LZV100 with a Z21. I also have an LZV200, and all are managed by Traincontroller, with the LZV200 solely responsible for running trains and the LZV100 managing turnouts, signals, feedback etc. 

Although I have got the Z21 working it is only by replacing the PC's internet connection with the connection to the Z21 wifi system. The railway room PC has two ethernet cards: one connects to the BT Home Hub 6 for internet connection (and yes it's a long wire, but gives me gigabit!) and I wish to use the other for the Z21 but I can't get it to work. I can connect the BT wire to the WAN socket of the Z21 wifi box but that then means I only get 100mb not gigabit. The BT uses 192.168.1.x addressing, and the Z21 192.168.0.x.

I have tried connecting the Z21 directly to the PC as per the manual but that also fails and the ping does not work either.

Can anyone advise what the network settings should be?

Many thanks

Edited by RFS

It sounds like you want the PC to be a "bridge" between the two ethernet cards.   That's the first place to start looking at settings. 

Whilst you might want gigabit for other things, to run a model railway its kilobits (at most) of data throughput.   

I struggle to understand why anyone needs regular gigabit to a single PC (I used to work at BT's research labs, designing such stuff),  so I'd just go with the 100Mb connection if that is working for everything.    For the odd time you might need a gigabit download, move the ethernet connections around.    

- Nigel

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The railway PC is also used as a backup store for our downstairs PCs (it's 2 floors up) so the gigabit connection is needed for the backup data flow. I don't want all of that routed through the Z21 wifi box. 

In the past I used the Lenz LAN/USB via a network connection on this card although I have since switched to using the USB connection instead. Had no problem with the direct connect so long as it was not marked as a default gateway.

Perhaps what I need is a static route.  I'd be quite happy using just the direct PC connection without the wifi as I'm not particularly bothered with using a tablet or smartphone with the Z21. The maintenance tool seems to give me all I need at the moment. 

You need to give one of the network cards a static address of 192.168.0.1 and connect the Z21 to that card. You can leave the other card as DHCP and it will get the address from the BT Router.

on the PC you then use 192.168.0.111 as the address for the Z21. As you are not talking to the internet from the Z21 you do not need to bridge the 2 NICs.

Edited by WIMorrison

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, WIMorrison said:

You need to give one of the network cards a static address of 192.168.0.1 and connect the Z21 to that card. You can leave the other card as DHCP and it will get the address from the BT Router.

on the PC you then use 292.168.0.111 as the address for the Z21.

Just realized this and everything now works. The Z21 Maintenance Manual says to set the IP address of the card to 192.168.0.111 but that's the address of the Z21 itself? So I set mine to 192.168.0.2 abd the gateway to 192.168.0.1 and all is now OK.  I'll worry about wireless connection later.

Retaining the TPLink router is useful if you want to use a wireless throttle as it is a different network from the house which will make the connection much more reliable and stable because it will not have the household traffic on the LAN.

• RMweb Gold

Now have the wireless part hooked up and working.

So on to the next question. I've connected up the accessory bus to the Z21. The NCE Switch8s are "zig-zagging" which is their way of saying they have a DCC signal. So all appears OK but no points will change. I've connected my LH101 throttle to the X-BUS port, it works fine and allows me to change turnouts but nothing happens. I have both Tortoise motors on NCE Switch8s and signals via relays on Lenz LS150s.  All I've done is turn off Railcom, and reduce the output voltage to 12v. But no go.

Z21 says current usage is around 870ma which is about right for 60+ Tortoises.

Any ideas?

Edited by RFS

Turnouts,  my guess is the "out by 4" problem in the DCC standards document.   Try with turnout addresses +4 or -4 from what you think they are.     

That might establish all is working, then try to work out what to change to get the addresses to how you'd like them. 

- Nigel

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Turnouts,  my guess is the "out by 4" problem in the DCC standards document.   Try with turnout addresses +4 or -4 from what you think they are.     

That might establish all is working, then try to work out what to change to get the addresses to how you'd like them. 

- Nigel

Well many thanks for that suggestion. I've just changed turnout 104 with address 108.  Does this mean I have to edit all my addresses or is there some way I can get things back to normal?

EDIT: Sorted - just enable the option of turnout addressing using RCN-213.

Edited by RFS
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi,

Re the NCE Switch 8's. You might find there are times when the Switch 8's don't complete their power up routine and don't zig-zag.

When I turn on my Z21 I have to send a DCC command to a loco in order for the Switch 8's to complete their boot up sequence and zig-zag.

(Strictly speaking any DCC command will do, I just a random loco and turn it's lights on and off).

Regards,

John P

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, RFS said:

Well many thanks for that suggestion. I've just changed turnout 104 with address 108.  Does this mean I have to edit all my addresses or is there some way I can get things back to normal?

EDIT: Sorted - just enable the option of turnout addressing using RCN-213.

Glad you've found it.  I thought there would be an options switch in the Z21 for it.    

There isn't a "right" about this, just two interpretations of the DCC standards document, which causes lots of trouble.  Its also a big push to why many accessory devices use the "learn button" method of giving them addresses - that doesn't require the accessory device maker to explain the messy standards document. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, jpendle said:

Hi,

Re the NCE Switch 8's. You might find there are times when the Switch 8's don't complete their power up routine and don't zig-zag.

When I turn on my Z21 I have to send a DCC command to a loco in order for the Switch 8's to complete their boot up sequence and zig-zag.

(Strictly speaking any DCC command will do, I just a random loco and turn its lights on and off).

Regards,

John P

Thanks for the warning. At present the Z21 is only being used for accessories (turnouts, signals) with the LZV200 running the trains. There are 7 Switch-8s - 3 MK1s and 4 MK2s. Something to keep my eye on ....