LNER Hairdressing Saloon / Toilet 3rd

This thread was affected by the data losses in March 2022 and so i have restored those parts that are of use to others.  I think I solved my roof questions.

I started building this Flying Scotsman Diagram 23A coach from the Kirk 4mm kit. There were a couple of issues I could not then sort which I think I solved.  Rather than re-edit the whole thread I will just post back some of the missing pictures.

20210823_150204.jpg.1bc574ba1581a8ed9b1df30753f29332.jpg

A view inside of the cocktail bar and some third class compartments.

20210823_150034.jpg.a538d933f11093031f716b04816fbaf8.jpg

Cocktail Bar 1.jpg

Edited by 4608
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

The Isinglass drawing shows cylinders with gauges underneath the coach.  The one on the corridor side looks just like a standard vacuum cylinder air reservoir apart from the gauge and the one on the compartment side is much larger and also has the gauge.  What is the purpose of these and is the one on the corridor side in fact just a standard vacuum cylinder air reservoir but with a gauge for some reason?

Second question is about the toilet filler and roof handrails.  I have only found one photo of this, actually in 1928 condition, and this shows the following: (not reproduced in full for copyright reasons)

1498768449_DIA23ANorthEndRoof.jpg.1b6d4fb0c764b0e95befbc8b4666b7d9.jpg

986186310_DIA23ASouthEndRoof.jpg.4b26657b25a89d14d1a0e94d0c85c71f.jpg

Edited by 4608
  • Like 3

The best I can make out is that the grab handle and toilet water filler would be positioned in the following sketch.  And presumably the north end is a mirror image.  But, this does not account for a second grab handle.  Was there one?  This coach was adapted from a diagram 23 and any pictures of that do not clarify.  Anyone got any thoughts here please?

Edited by 4608
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Some tweaking of the original design has been required as I found new pictures from the National Railway Museum collection:

https://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10705929&itemw=4&itemf=0015&itemstep=271&itemx=276

https://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10685295&itemw=4&itemf=0003&itemstep=1&itemx=1

Making good progress though...

Edited by 4608
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

If the toilet filler pipes are the same as other Gresleys. All of ours at the SVR, except 7960 have the filler pipes running horizontially along the end of the vehicle at solebar level, turning upwards when it reaches the gangway and then curving into the body just below the roof line. 

Good to see something of mine being put to good use so long after I made it.  The tank fillers were originally on the roof. on the prototype there was steps on the end and a step on the roof each end. I did not put that on the roof mould as the full brakes didn't have them and it gave good modellers something to do (I notice that Phoenix have moulded them on their new roof). I think that the removal of steps from the end and the filling pipes down the end came in with  electrification and although fitted in preservation were not on the originals.

I produced this type as it was the last kit I needed to cover the entire 1926 Flying Scotsman set.  I produced some factory assembled/painted  sets in glass fronted display boxes. The advert stated that the first set ordered would be delivered by a flying Scotsman. I duly flew the first set down and met the customer at Halfpenny green airfield.  Unfortunately for me I didn't get the intended free advertising in the RM as the photograph of me handing the kit over in front of my Cessna did not come out properly. The negative was fogged as I must have put the camera through an x ray security. Photographs of me setting off were taken on a different camera and came out fine.

best wishes,

Ian

Scan_20211122.png

Edited by Ian Kirk
attach scan
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally figured out what I think is the roof ventilator and filler pattern at each end by looking at the photo and drawing lines on a plan.  It is not symmetrical.  The north end is the one where the toilet stayed the same and the south end the one that was rebuilt.  My best guess is the roof looked like this with end ventilators off centre and one filler off centre too...

DIA 23A Roof arrangement.jpg

Edited by 4608