Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Anybody know some good books about personal experiences on the LNWR/early LMS?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not off the top of my head.

There was a thread about railway autobiographies somewhere. But I can't remember what section it was in.

Here it is.

Jason

From that list there is 'The North Western at Work', which I had forgotten about.

I've just found my copy and will give it another read.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps an earlier era than you are looking for, published 1904

Railway Reminiscences, by George P. Neele, Late Superintendent of the Line of the LNWR

http://www.britishtransporttreasures.com/product/railway-reminiscences-by-george-p-neele-late-superintendent-of-the-line-of-the-lnwr-mccorquodale-co-ltd-1904-ebook/

Various reprints seem to be available on Abe Books

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If you can ever find a book "NOTES ON TRACK" published over a hundred years ago (and still germain today); pick it up, it is well worth reading.

Another good one is "THE WRECK OF THE PENN CENTRAL", a friend has a copy that I read then I was able buy a copy (better than his, it has the dust jacket!) and have read it again.

Edit: I must have some interest in the LMS, I have an 0-6-0 (Lima, Italy) in O scale. ;)

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have a copy of 'Speeding North with the 'Royal Scot', a day in the life of a locomotive man' by legendary Camden driver L.A. (Lawrie) Earl.

OUP 1939, if you can find a copy.

OK, maybe not exactly early LMS but as 'from the horses mouth' as you're likely to find. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1