Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Inspirational modelling

Having just had Eastwood town pinned in memory to Gordon, and a comment passed how some threads get lost in the general forum after the person's responsible pass away, how about a section where threads like Eastwood town can be transferred to make sure they don't get lost? Or would this be too difficult?

I can think of three threads which I would put there immediately, Eastwood town, Tetley mills, and Colin Parks scratch building thread. All of which I would class as inspiration to others as to what can be done.

I'm sure there are other threads people would suggest.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

how about a section where threads like Eastwood town can be transferred to make sure they don't get lost? Or would this be too difficult?

My concern would be that if they were in a separate sub-forum beneath the layout tier, for example, they wouldn't get seen and read. Organisationally it would make sense but...

Strangely enough I was about to PM exactly the same question/suggestion, for exactly the same reasons and, coincidentally, was going to mention exactly the same threads!

I wrote on Gordon's thread how I had postponed reading the Eastwood Town updates - I knew that there would (normally) be plenty of really interesting posts that would require concentration on my part, and I wanted to allow the time to read the updates properly. I had absolutely no idea that the myriad messages were about Gordon's operation, health and wishes for a speedy recovery. I am delighted that you have pinned/retitled the thread ... I have started re-reading it again from the beginning.

In Colin Park's obituary thread, I stated that I had no idea that he had passed away; it felt like a blow to the head to be reading his threads, all so filled with vitality and life, then suddenly learn that he had died a year earlier!

Maybe I am the only one who does this, but if I am reading an old thread, I still respond with 'likes' and may even ask a question or pass a comment - there's no way to tell if the author is still alive*. It is rather mortifying to then discover I may have asked a question of a deceased RMWeb member ...

Is this worth asking the forum as a whole? 

Please don't think this is in any way a criticism, simply a suggestion. (And maybe the likes of Tetley Mills won't fade away after all.)

Steve S

* I know I can check a member's activity through their profile, but there are extant modellers who chose - for one reason or another - not to be 'active' but then there's no way of knowing why they are inactive... 

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 3