Blue Pullman (no, really!)

edcayton

I treated myself to the box set of Railway Roundabout dvd's at the weekend. and on the "revisited" volume it shows the inaugral Midland Pullman. The commentary says that the kitchen cars had traction motors on the outer bogies (so presumably next to the power cars). I was unaware of this. Can anyone on here confirm this?

Ed

On both the Midland and Western Blue Pullmans, the outer three bogies at each end were the powered type (9'6" wheelbase), thats the 2 under the power car and the next one (kitchen car on the Midland, 2nd class parlour on the Western) adjacent to the power car. The power bogie under the drive compartment had no electric motors, but was still a power type. All the other bogies were trailer (8'6" wheelbase).

I believe this arrangement was to get the weight distribution right.

• Like 1

• 11 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, keefer said:

By all accounts of the rough riding of the units, it was the bogie under the drivers cab that rode the best!

Probably the best but the ride at the other end of the power car (in the 2nd Class area) was almost as good in my experience of having sampled both over relatively long distances. (Cardiff to Reading /Paddington)

• Like 1