The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Of course they are. You want to make everyone pay road tax?

Exactly that’s never going to get off the ground.

Smart meters.......that’s their purpose.....oh no, hang on they are so the consumer can save money :lol:

• Funny 1

8 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

With regard to the government clawing some of the RFL back by means of EV  applications, bear in mind that  EV  charging circuits are separated from the rest of the house feeds, so who says that there won't be more than one smart meter?

You can do your day to day driving just fine from a 13A socket.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

With regard to the government clawing some of the RFL back by means of EV  applications, bear in mind that  EV  charging circuits are separated from the rest of the house feeds, so who says that there won't be more than one smart meter?

Mike.

The EVSE units supplied now have to be “smart” as well, they can communicate over WiFi so the new Smart meters will have no problem at all knowing when an EVSE is being used.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

, at the moment, but moves are afoot!

Mike.

Do tell, I’ve heard nothing about this and I cannot fathom how they would know I am charging my (off line) i3 from my domestic 13amp supply, I need to know so I can circumnavigate their efforts :lol:

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 30801 said:

You can do your day to day driving just fine from a 13A socket.

Indeed, we do.....an overnight charge at 13 amps gives us another full 120-130 miles for the next day, not that we ever use anywhere near that of course.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Do tell, I’ve heard nothing about this and I cannot fathom how they would know I am charging my (off line) i3 from my domestic 13amp supply, I need to know so I can circumnavigate their efforts :lol:

Quite simple really, it's why "smart" meters are so named, they can be programmed to identify a overnight trickle charge and work out it's a vehicle being charged.

As I said many moons ago in the Smart Meter thread, don't.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Quite simple really, it's why "smart" meters are so named, they can be programmed to identify a overnight trickle charge and work out it's a vehicle being charged.

As I said many moons ago in the Smart Meter thread, don't.

Mike.

So because I leave a 1>2Kw heater on in my Mums room every night (while the central heatings off) I’ll get charged the same rate as my Granny charger (see what I did there? :lol:) and have to pay RFL rates for warming my Mum? :blink:

So heaven help the homes that have storage heaters......

I really do not think they will be able to differentiate between low amperage equipment usage, it’s the 7kw wall chargers that will show up.

9 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I really do not think they will be able to differentiate between low amperage equipment usage, it’s the 7kw wall chargers that will show up.

You can fox it anyway with a smart plug and turn it on and off a bit randomly.

You can't tax people on heuristics. It's just nonsense.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

So because I leave a 1>2Kw heater on in my Mums room every night (while the central heatings off) I’ll get charged the same rate as my Granny charger (see what I did there? :lol:) and have to pay RFL rates for warming my Mum? :blink:

So heaven help the homes that have storage heaters......

The problem with that theory is that when you've declared what appliances and loadings you run the meter will know what's what.

We have a variation on that over here, all the appliance outputs are aggregated and we pay a potencia on the possible maximum current requirement.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Also. Open source EVSE free of The Man.

https://www.openevse.com/

Interesting, but works out at about £150-200 more than a normal EVSE after the grant is taken off, although apparently with the new Smart EVSE chargers a quick fiddle inside (disconnected of course!) will take the smarts down to a single figure IQ ;)

Surely, you don't think that any gov. will let you have something for nothing? (or maybe just to tempt you into the trap). It will be quite a balancing act, but now we will be having the tech. to get payments however we want - 5G, smart meters, gps, etc. But bumping up road tax is pretty simple. In the uk, fuel tax is is 57.95 per litre. Assume you get 10 miles/per litre, and 10000miles per year, that'll be  £579.50 equivalent road tax, to recover the fuel duty. We can't afford to lose 29billion gbp per year in road fuel duty. It will be quite feasible to tax based on roads driven, time of day, size of car, number in the vehicle, etc. All automatic, money taken before the journey is completed. And someone has to pay for the electricity supply reinforcement, additional generators, and so on.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, raymw said:

And someone has to pay for the electricity supply reinforcement, additional generators, and so on.

That would be the electricity customers. I hope you're not suggesting using taxation to bolster private companies' assets.

Rumours of problems with Volkswagen’s ID3.

Production has started for deliveries late Spring to early Summer, but there are rumours of production software not being ready and a stockpile of cars will build up, without that software.

If true, this may delay initial deliveries for several months.

The other rumour is that OTR pricing will be significantly higher than initially touted.

Entry level trim and smaller battery capacity, at circa £26,000 is said to be way out the window.

There’s speculation it could be anything up to £8,000 or £10,000 higher.

Disclaimer:  These are just rumours I’ve picked up from other web sites. Hopefully it’s not as bad as that, or it’s nonsense.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...