The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Premium

Oddly that has jogged my memory, ours friends had an issue with their Tiguan for a few months in which the whole IC would throw all the warning lights up and the dials went mad but the car still drove fine, it had been in the dealers twice for a fix but now seems to have sorted itself.......what reminded me is they reported that on the id3 test drive (they had it for most of the day) it also threw all the warning lights up or the equivalent my friend said but then rebooted before they could stop in the traffic so they carried on with the drive and it was fine until returned, obviously VW have a bit of a vorsprungbug in the control systems somewhere.

We are sticking with our i3 94REX for now, we’ve had it for over four years from new and it’s been exemplary so far, but it hasn’t stopped us taking out the extra warranty each year :wacko:

3 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

so not likely to be a mass market prospect this decade then but could be a contender towards 2030 and beyond.

Agreed, but, and it's a big but, that decade is a very short time in an investment cycle, and it is likely to suppress investment in BEV infrastructure that the technology needs if it is to become as popular as its protagonists wish it it be.

Having eagerly waited for its release, I’ve been reading lots of reports about the ID3 and watching lots of reviews and owner videos on YouTube.

The general consensus on the car, from initial reviews, from both professional motoring journalists and from would be reviewers on YouTube, is that the car is basically very good and drives well, but there are two areas of criticism that almost all agree on.

1. The interior is a major let down, with a cheap feel and too much hard, scratchy plastic.

2. The infotainment system and user interface is blighted by terrible unintuitive design and glitchy, badly designed software.

As for the warning indications and system failure alerts, this appears to be affecting a lot of owners/ drivers.

The issues appear to be related to a serious problem with the 12v system and battery drain on the 12v battery.

VW dealer workshops are apparently unable to understand the problems and are relying on VW HQ engineering support to work through appropriate fixes.

The software is clearly very buggy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It seems to me that we are entering a phase of the customer being the guinea pig/test pilot as manufacturers rush to dump EV's on the market?

Mike.

No more than Land Rover Defender customers are guinea pigs?

A sector I used to work in described the cutting edge as being “the bleeding edge”: you need to be very bold to buy into the first of a whole new world.

That applies just as much to some brand-new ICE models as some new EVs. 

Paul

• Like 1

14 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

We are sticking with our i3 94REX for now, we’ve had it for over four years from new and it’s been exemplary so far, but it hasn’t stopped us taking out the extra warranty each year :wacko:

I got an extended warranty with the Leaf which has rather refused to go wrong so I could have saved a few quid.

But your i3 has a petrol engine in it so it will probably explode or something.

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It seems to me that we are entering a phase of the customer being the guinea pig/test pilot as manufacturers rush to dump EV's on the market?

The Leaf you buy today is little changed from the Leaf you could buy in 2011. They're largely got the hang of making them by now.

None of the technology involved is particularly new. All that's really different is that they make the dashboard out of mobile phones now.

On 07/12/2020 at 14:43, 30801 said:

Where do you get the hydrogen?

Oddly, there was a hydrogen re-fuelling station near where I live about 15 years ago.  Transport for London conducted an experiment on the 360 route, it was during Ken Livingstone's tenure in County Hall.  I assume it was easier to install the fuelling facilities away from built-up areas (i.e. bus garages) they located it next to a BP filling station on the A127 near Romford.  I used to see the buses regularly, emitting a cloud of water vapour, they looked like Sentinel Steam lorries, though were obviously red.  The re-fuelling facility was removed perhaps ten years ago and returned to nature.

jch

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, 30801 said:

I got an extended warranty with the Leaf which has rather refused to go wrong so I could have saved a few quid.

But your i3 has a petrol engine in it so it will probably explode or something.

If we ever use the engine :lol:

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Well in the case of VW, it does seem they've had a lot of issues with the software side of things.

The first deliveries of ID3's was delayed by 6 months, while these issues were being worked on (well reported in the motoring press).

It looks as if there are still issues.

The poor design of the UI and infotainment system is a different matter, as is the quality of the interior fit out.

• Informative/Useful 1

43 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Well in the case of VW, it does seem they've had a lot of issues with the software side of things.

The first deliveries of ID3's was delayed by 6 months, while these issues were being worked on (well reported in the motoring press).

It looks as if there are still issues.

The poor design of the UI and infotainment system is a different matter, as is the quality of the interior fit out.

They had an EV with none of those things in the form of the Up!/Mii/Citigo which were popular in the five minutes or so they were on sale for.

Autogefühl have just reviewed the new VW ID4.

As usual, very detailed and pulling no punches.

The conclusion is that the car is exceptionally good to drive, good ride, refined and quiet.

It has a better quality interior than the ID3, but the big failing is again the infotainment system and the software.

The video is 36.41 minutes long.

The driver interface and infotainment system and its failings are shown from around 11 minutes in.

During the video'd test drive, the system locks up and doesn't respond at all.

VW are pinning huge hopes on this vehicle. More so than on the ID3, as it's going to be produced in Germany, the USA and China. and sold worldwide.

However, they appear to have a massive failure on their hands with their driver interface and infotainment software.

1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

The conclusion is that the car is exceptionally good to drive, good ride, refined and quiet.

It has a better quality interior than the ID3, but the big failing is again the infotainment system and the software.

The driver interface and infotainment system and its failings are shown from around 11 minutes in.

VW are pinning huge hopes on this vehicle. More so than on the ID3, as it's going to be produced in Germany, the USA and China. and sold worldwide.

However, they appear to have a massive failure on their hands with their driver interface and infotainment software.

It's fascinating: made me remember Elon Musk's comment that Tesla is primarily a software company.

VW has been struggling with software for many months -- one of the reasons why the ID3 delivery schedule was very delayed. I'll be fascinated to see if the Skoda Enyaq uses a different interface to VW's.

Paul

12 minutes ago, Fenman said:

It's fascinating: made me remember Elon Musk's comment that Tesla is primarily a software company.

VW has been struggling with software for many months -- one of the reasons why the ID3 delivery schedule was very delayed. I'll be fascinated to see if the Skoda Enyaq uses a different interface to VW's.

VW can't do software. Tesla can't screw doors on straight. Maybe they could work something out.

• RMweb Premium

I really don’t think the interior of a vehicle is the place to put important control surfaces without positive reactive feedback........might be fine on a microwave in the kitchen but travelling at 50-70 mph is not the place to have to look down and check something has reacted to your input.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Not that I'd ever afford one anyway but why oh why do EV's have to look so hideous?

I know how something looks is very much a personal thing but I couldn't bring myself to spend a serious amount of money on something I found actively unpleasant to look at.