The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

37 minutes ago, shady said:

the noise of an engine and the whine of a turbo that some of us would miss, the younger generations wont miss what they never had.

Sporting EVs can be fitted with a loudspeaker system playing recordings of Boris going Brrroom Brroom, with Starmer doing the Turbo whine !!!!!!!

Brit15

• Funny 4

12 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Sporting EVs can be fitted with a loudspeaker system playing recordings of Boris going Brrroom Brroom, with Starmer doing the Turbo whine !!!!!!!

Brit15

I wonder if they do one ftted with a Pannier sound chip :)

Dave

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, shady said:

Look at as a good bit of greenwashing , one report suggests that porsche have only invested $24 million in that plant , their north american advertising budget is at least $100 million . They plan to run a GTR racing program with that fuel and can scream look at us we are green , most people wont know any better.

Porsche currently plan on building 50% of their cars as ICE into the 2030's.

It would be interesting to be on live TV and ask the question (accepting that lots of the worlds population could not even point to Chile on a map!!)

"given that approx 60% of Chile's electricity is generated by burning , oil, coal and gas , would it not be more green to use the wind turbines being built for this project to simply put green electricity in to the Chilean grid ?"

For the record I like 911's and lots of other sports cars (I don't own any), but I will not try and claim they are green.

From an acceleration and handling point of view (you can spread the weight of the batteries) I can't see how you could beat an EV, but there is just something about

the noise of an engine and the whine of a turbo that some of us would miss, the younger generations wont miss what they never had.

Despite having an EV, I’m a petrol head at heart but like most, have never owned or driven a true sports car. The closest I got was a 2L Audi A3 that had a nice roar.

The Tesla might not give any sound but does give the sports car thrust and power handling which is great fun.

3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

.....Do Porsche have a plan for BEV?

Apart from the Taycan, which as 30801 say's has been out for nearly 2 years, Porsche will be releasing an all-electric Macan, based on one of the new VAG bespoke EV platforms (not the MEB).

Note: the Macan (a sport SUV crossover) is Porsche's best selling model.

Just on the NW news that the NIMBYs want to ban cars from the Peak District in summer - oh why do we bother !!!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10203011/Lake-District-popular-Peak-District-BAN-tourist-cars.html

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/peak-district-could-ban-cars-6212717

The joys of motoring are rapidly disappearing.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

Just on the NW news that the NIMBYs want to ban cars from the Peak District in summer - oh why do we bother !!!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10203011/Lake-District-popular-Peak-District-BAN-tourist-cars.html

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/peak-district-could-ban-cars-6212717

The joys of motoring are rapidly disappearing.

Brit15

No doubt those same people would then be most upset if they themselves can't drive to get there...

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, Fenman said:

I wrote “anti-EV arguments”, not anti-EV people, and nor did I criticise alternatives…

Paul

I haven't seen any anti-EV arguments on this thread. Were you referring to anti-EV arguments in general?

12 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I've no doubt Hydrogen will have a large role to play, but it seems bats**t crazy to create a situation, where loads of energy needs to be used to create and distribute an intermediate source of energy (Hydrogen), when the same source energy (electricity) can be used directly and far more efficiently, without the unnecessary, artificially created extra stages.

That's only true when you can actually use the source of renewable energy. A lot of the time there is nowhere to send it either because of reduced demand or insufficient transmission capacity. For example I frequently see wind farms where many of the turbines are idle.

The advantage of converting renewable energy into hydrogen is that you can store energy on a massive scale and convert it into some other form in the future.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Apart from the Taycan, which as 30801 say's has been out for nearly 2 years, Porsche will be releasing an all-electric Macan, based on one of the new VAG bespoke EV platforms (not the MEB).

Note: the Macan (a sport SUV crossover) is Porsche's best selling model.

A group in the US did an EV range comparison. I didn't study it too closely but Porsche was one of the few that exceeded the expected range, by quite a bit too. IIRC they were comparing against the EPA (US Environmental Protection Agency) numbers. The test was based on driving at a constant 70 MPH.

• RMweb Gold
On 25/11/2021 at 00:50, AndyID said:

That's only true when you can actually use the source of renewable energy. A lot of the time there is nowhere to send it either because of reduced demand or insufficient transmission capacity. For example I frequently see wind farms where many of the turbines are idle.

The advantage of converting renewable energy into hydrogen is that you can store energy on a massive scale and convert it into some other form in the future.

But for vehicles it imposes a greater strain on the electricity grid. Hydrogen ICE are only about 30% efficient so a fleet of hydrogen powered vehicles requires three times the electricity of an equivalent EV fleet. We need to be able to produce large quantities of hydrogen without significant inputs of electricity for it to be a viable alternative to full EV.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmorris/2021/02/06/why-are-we-still-talking-about-hydrogen/

Edited by AndrueC

Time for my monthly update on UK new car registrations, hoping to chart the gradual shift in new car sales, towards EV and Hybrid vehicles.

The Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders (SMMT) figures for new car registrations during November 2021.

115,706 total new cars registered in Nov 2021 -  that's slightly up 1,7%% on the same month last year (2020).

Note, there were only 68,033 new cars registered in August this year ....

....followed by 215,312 new cars registered in September, a traditionally busy month, due to the registration plate change (71 plate this year) and sales picking up after the summer.

Pure EV's (BEV) now account for double the sales of all diesel cars, both pure diesel and mild hybrid diesels.

Combined diesel sales (inc. mild hybrid diesels) have totally tanked, accounting for only 9.6%  of new registrations for Nov.

(For comparison, in Oct it was 10.8% and last Nov 2020 it was 18.1% )

With just over 8 years before the 2030 ban on new sales comes into effect, Petrol and Diesel ICE new car sales combined (including mild hybrid versions of both), have fallen to less than two thirds of the market.

Sales of Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid have been overtaken by sales of pure electric BEV.

Market share by fuel/power  ........

Nov 2021

Diesel                            5.1%.     (down from 12.3% in Jan 2021)

Mild-hybrid Diesel       4.5%      (down from 6.9% in Jan 2021)

Petrol.                          43.3%.     (down from 49.8% in Jan 2021)

Mild-hybrid Petrol.    10.7%.      (up from 9.8% in Jan 2021)

Hybrid                           8.3%.     (up  from 7.6% in Jan 2021)

Plug-in Hybrid              9.3%.      (up from 6.8% in Jan 2021)

BEV (battery).              18.8%.      (up from 6.9% in Jan 2021)

The figures for BEV's have steadily grown from 2.7% in Jan 2020.

18.8%  in Nov 2021

15.2%  in Oct 2021

15.2%  in Sep 2021

10.9%  in Aug 2021

9.0%  in Jul 2021

10.7%  in Jun 2021

6.9%  in Jan 2021

6.1%  in Jun 2020

2.7%  in Jan 2020 (pre-Covid)

Pure ICE (both Petrol & Diesel combined) now only accounting for 48.4% of the new car market  (less than half).

With (pure) diesel having fallen off a cliff and now only accounting for 5.1%  of new registrations in Nov.

A comparison with previous periods...

48.4%. in Nov 2021

52.1%  in Oct 2021

48.8%  in Sep 2021

50.8%  in Aug 2021

51.9%  in Jul 2021

54.5%  in Jun 2021

62.1%  in Jan 2021

76.3%  in Jun 2020

80.5%  in Jan 2020 (pre-Covid)

Combine the new Mild Hybrid ICE (both Petrol & Diesel) with pure ICE and the total ICE figures are...

63.6%. in Nov 2021

68.7%  in Oct 2021

66.8%  in Sep 2021

70.0%  in Aug 2021

70.9%  in Jul 2021

74.1%  in Jun 2021

78.8%  in Jan 2021

83.5%  in Jun 2020

88.0%  in Jan 2020 (pre-Covid)

BEV, PHEV & Hybrid combined, accounted for 36.4%  -  i.e. more than a third of the new car market.

36.4%. in Nov 2021

31.2%  in Oct 2021

33.2%  in Sep 2021

30.1%  in Aug 2021

28.9%  in Jul 2021

25.9%  in Jun 2021

21.3%  in Jan 2021

16.5%  in Jun 2020

11.9%  in Jan 2020 (pre-Covid)

Separating out just the Hybrid's and Plug-in Hybrids, ....combined, these accounted for...

17.6%. in Nov 2021

16.0%  in Oct 2021

18.0%  in Sep 2021

19.2%  in Aug 2021

19.9%  in Jul 2021

15.2%  in Jun 2021

14.4%  in Jan 2021

10.4%  in Jun 2020

9.2%  in Jan 2020 (pre-Covid)

The rate of changeover will continue to increase over the next 12 months, as more pure EV's are introduced in volume numbers, in addition to the increasing number of ICE cars that are being offered with the plug-in hybrid option.

Supplies of all new cars continue to be constrained due to shortages of micro-chips and other sub-components.

Several German car plants remain closed, or are operating with partial closures or reduced capacity. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 18/11/2021 at 12:42, PenrithBeacon said:

I thought about one of those but the hassle of the special clothing in anything other than sunshine put me off. I can walk to anywhere where I would want one of these for with the added benefit of improving my physical fitness. 

An expensive toy.

My colleague who lives in Copenhagen City center sold his car and bought one of these. https://www.fribikeshop.dk/prod/45-8422701/winther-kangaroo-luxe-shimano-steps-di2. Mind you it cost over £5000.

There's an interesting factor underlying the transition to BEVs.  As sales of ICE (petrol and diesel) decline, manufacturers are going to have production facilities running at a loss so they will be eager to shut them down.  Equally, those that have invested in BEV production facilities will be eager to get them up to full production to eliminate the losses they will be incurring at lower than full utilisation of these facilities.

I expect a marketing blitz as reality hits the bottom lines of the car industry which will override customers' preferences - i.e. if you want a new car, it will be a BEV or nothing.  In the meantime, those same manufacturers will be lobbying like mad for charging networks to be installed asap and everywhere.

Stan

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stanley Melrose said:

There's an interesting factor underlying the transition to BEVs.  As sales of ICE (petrol and diesel) decline, manufacturers are going to have production facilities running at a loss so they will be eager to shut them down.  Equally, those that have invested in BEV production facilities will be eager to get them up to full production to eliminate the losses they will be incurring at lower than full utilisation of these facilities.

I expect a marketing blitz as reality hits the bottom lines of the car industry which will override customers' preferences - i.e. if you want a new car, it will be a BEV or nothing.  In the meantime, those same manufacturers will be lobbying like mad for charging networks to be installed asap and everywhere.

Stan

I think most manufacturers have multiple factories, often dedicated to particular platforms, so I'd imagine they'd switch them over in time - so a company with three ICE factories in 2015 miught have 2 & 1 now, then 1 & 2 in 2025, before finally having all 3 producing EVs by 2030.

21 hours ago, Vistisen said:

My colleague who lives in Copenhagen City center sold his car and bought one of these. https://www.fribikeshop.dk/prod/45-8422701/winther-kangaroo-luxe-shimano-steps-di2. Mind you it cost over £5000.

I would have thought that electric bikes are cold in weather like this. When I was a cyclist it was the effort put in that kept me warm. Just trundling about with a electric motor for power is a recipe for getting very cold. 

23 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I would have thought that electric bikes are cold in weather like this. When I was a cyclist it was the effort put in that kept me warm. Just trundling about with a electric motor for power is a recipe for getting very cold. 

Depends how much assistance you have on. You can dial it down if you're cold.