Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

21 hours ago, idd15 said:

That’s a shame really as it helped blaze the trail. Never understood why BMW did not do more with it, usual internal politics I guess?

idd

Too expensive to make, getting a bit long in the tooth and being surpassed by a wide range of smaller family EV's that are coming down the road.

BMW have the iX1  EV version of the new X1 on the way and the all-new next generation Mini will see new several EV versions, to address the space left by the i3.

BMW also have future EV's in development.

They showed their i-Vision Circular (silly name) concept city car at the Munich car show, last year.

domagoj-nsc.jpg.asset.1630605748583.jpg

I nearly bought one but the prospect of having a 17 year old drive it made the Mii more appealing. 

Since then we've acquired a large dog and the i3 doors would have been murder. 

• RMweb Gold
On 26/01/2022 at 14:06, Ron Ron Ron said:

Why is hydrogen no longer the fuel of the future?

Because it's not as efficient. Two thirds of the energy is lost in manufacture, transportation and the internal combustion engine itself. A fleet of hydrogen cars will require three times the energy of an identical fleet of BEVs. That will also of course treble the Co2 emissions.

Hydrogen only makes sense for HGVs and other large vehicles where the energy density wins out and there are fewer vehicles to fuel.

Edited by AndrueC

12 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Because it's not as efficient. Two thirds of the energy is lost in manufacture, transportation and the internal combustion engine itself. A fleet of hydrogen cars will require three times the energy of an identical fleet of BEVs. That will also of course treble the Co2 emissions.

Hydrogen only makes sense for HGVs and other large vehicles where the energy density wins out and there are fewer vehicles to fuel.

I know that.

That’s the question asked by the news article byline and answered in the text.

On 26/01/2022 at 13:48, idd15 said:

Nice success story and it’s British as well you know! :yahoo:

Spirit of Innovation

Funny to see all the old anti EV arguments trotted out yet again in the YouTube comments. Cest la vie! :D
idd

What is needed now is a Schneider trophy equivalent for the era of electric aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I know that.

That’s the question asked by the news article byline and answered in the text.

But as soon, we can open a portal directly on to the atmosphere of Jupiter, it will be game on.

16 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Burning hydrogen in an IC engine is not a brilliant idea. It does not exhaust CO2 but it does exhaust smog producing oxides of nitrogen. Fuel cells are much more efficient and the only exhaust is water.

1 hour ago, rocor said:

But as soon, we can open a portal directly on to the atmosphere of Jupiter, it will be game on.

No need to go that far. Some parts of Earth have far more green energy than they can possibly consume locally and currently no realistic means to export it. Converting it in to hydrogen is one way to solve that problem.

12 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Looks like PHEVs are finally getting useful. ....

Similarly, the PHEV version of latest model Mercedes C-Class, is claimed to be able to do up to 62 miles on battery power.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mercedes-benz/c-class/first-drives/mercedes-benz-c-class-c300e-2021-uk-review

Time for Ron's monthly update on UK new car registrations, hoping to chart the gradual shift in new car sales, towards EV and Hybrid vehicles.

The Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders (SMMT) figures for new car registrations during January 2022.

115,087 total, new cars registered in Jan 2022.

That compares with 108,596 total new cars registered in Dec 2021 and 90,249 cars registered last Jan 2021.

Sales of pure EV's (BEV) fell back in January, largely due to low shipment volumes by market leader, Tesla.

Pure EV's (BEV) sold in slightly larger numbers than all diesels in January, which is a fallback from December, when they accounted for more than three times the sales of all diesel cars, both pure diesel and mild hybrid diesels.

Combined diesel sales (inc. mild hybrid diesels) have totally tanked since their peak, at over 50% of the market, around 6 to 8 years ago.

They accounted for only 8.4%  of total new registrations in Dec 2021.

This increased slightly to 10.2% in Jan 2022

For comparison, a year ago (Jan 2021) it was 19.2% 

With only 8 years to go before the 2030 ban on new sales comes into effect, Petrol and Diesel ICE new car sales combined (including mild hybrid versions of both), have fallen overall.

In Dec 2021 they accounted for just over half of the market.

In January, this recovered to 67.9% - just over two thirds.

Sales of Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid combined accounted for 19.6% of the market in Jan 2022, which is an increase on Dec 2021

The following statistics also show the recent, monthly trend up to Jan 2022, as well as mid point figures for Jan & Jun 2020

Market share by fuel/power  ........

Jan 2022

Diesel                             5.2%.     (down from 12.3% in Jan 2021)

Mild-hybrid Diesel       5.0%       (down from 6.9% in Jan 2021)

Petrol.                          44.7%.     (down from 49.8% in Jan 2021)

Mild-hybrid Petrol     13.0%.     (up from 9.8% in Jan 2021)

Hybrid                          11.7%.      (up  from 7.6% in Jan 2021)

Plug-in Hybrid              7.9%.      (up from 6.8% in Jan 2021)

BEV (battery).              12.5%.     (up from 6.9% in Jan 2021)

The figures for BEV's have steadily grown from 2.7% in Jan 2020 and 6.9% in Jan 2021.

Pure electric cars accounting for a quarter of all new sales in Dec 2021, dropping back to half of that in Jan 2022.

12.5%. in Jan 2022

25.5%  in Dec 2021

18.8%  in Nov 2021

15.2%  in Oct 2021

15.2%  in Sep 2021

10.9%  in Aug 2021

9.0%  in Jul 2021

10.7%  in Jun 2021

6.9%  in Jan 2021

6.1%  in Jun 2020

2.7%  in Jan 2020 (pre-Covid)

Pure ICE (both Petrol & Diesel combined)  accounted for only half of the new car market, much lower than what it was 2 years ago..

Sales of (pure) diesel have fallen off a cliff, now only accounting for 5.2%  of new registrations in Jan 2022.

A comparison with previous periods...

49.9%. in Jan 2022

43.5%. in Dec 2021

48.4%. in Nov 2021

52.1%  in Oct 2021

48.8%  in Sep 2021

50.8%  in Aug 2021

51.9%  in Jul 2021

54.5%  in Jun 2021

62.1%  in Jan 2021

76.3%  in Jun 2020

80.5%  in Jan 2020 (pre-Covid)

Combine the new Mild Hybrid ICE (both Petrol & Diesel) with pure ICE and the total ICE figures are...

67.9%. in Jan 2022

58.8%. in Dec 2021

63.6%. in Nov 2021

68.7%  in Oct 2021

66.8%  in Sep 2021

70.0%  in Aug 2021

70.9%  in Jul 2021

74.1%  in Jun 2021

78.8%  in Jan 2021

83.5%  in Jun 2020

88.0%  in Jan 2020 (pre-Covid)

BEV, PHEV & Hybrid combined, accounted for 32.1%  -  i.e. almost one third of the new car market.

32.1%  in Jan 2022 

41.2%. in Dec 2021

36.4%. in Nov 2021

31.2%  in Oct 2021

33.2%  in Sep 2021

30.1%  in Aug 2021

28.9%  in Jul 2021

25.9%  in Jun 2021

21.3%  in Jan 2021

16.5%  in Jun 2020

11.9%  in Jan 2020 (pre-Covid)

Separating out just the Hybrid's and Plug-in Hybrids, ....combined, these accounted for...

19.6%. in Jan 2022

15.7%. in Dec 2021

17.6%. in Nov 2021

16.0%  in Oct 2021

18.0%  in Sep 2021

19.2%  in Aug 2021

19.9%  in Jul 2021

15.2%  in Jun 2021

14.4%  in Jan 2021

10.4%  in Jun 2020

9.2%  in Jan 2020 (pre-Covid)

Supplies of all new cars continue to be constrained due to shortages of micro-chips and other sub-components.

BEV sales are also being constrained by the supply chain issues, with long delivery times on many models, as demand is growing fast.

• RMweb Gold
On 30/01/2022 at 09:12, Hobby said:

What an ugly looking thing, get rid of stylists and bring back designers who understand what people need in real life!

...and the windsrean wiper goes where?

30 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

Until the first time a bird craps on it!

It won't.

Clue...

It's a concept design. Not a real car or proposal for a real car.

Concepts like this are used to showcase design ideas, often pushing the boundaries and allowing design teams to play or experiment with using different or new materials.

Sometimes they'll be fairly close, or loosely similar to actual cars that are in development and sometimes the concept design will be more of a far fetched, avant-garde one-off design experiment.

The public showing of that BMW concept and the things BMW have been saying around it, has led to speculation that BMW are developing a new EV to fill the space that is currently occupied by their ICE powered 1 and 2 series, and their now discontinued i3 EV.

I have no doubt, whatever they turn out, will have windscreen wipers.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

It won't.

Clue...

It's a concept design. Not a real car or proposal for a real car.

Concepts like this are used to showcase design ideas, often pushing the boundaries and allowing design teams to play or experiment with using different or new materials.

Sometimes they'll be fairly close, or loosely similar to actual cars that are in development and sometimes the concept design will be more of a far fetched, avant-garde one-off design experiment.

The public showing of that BMW concept and the things BMW have been saying around it, has led to speculation that BMW are developing a new EV to fill the space that is currently occupied by their ICE powered 1 and 2 series, and their now discontinued i3 EV.

I have no doubt, whatever they turn out, will have windscreen wipers.

I do realise that But it has become a real problem for Musk's cybertruck: https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/10/22828220/tesla-cybertruck-prototype-drone-shot-windshield-wiper-elon-musk

7 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

I do realise that But it has become a real problem for Musk's cybertruck: https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/10/22828220/tesla-cybertruck-prototype-drone-shot-windshield-wiper-elon-musk

More a concern with the lack of rear wipers on some modern cars.

The Jaguar I-Pace, much praised Hyundai Ionic 5 and Kia EV6 are just 3 examples of cars with sloping, hatchback type rear windscreens, that have no rear wiper, or even the option to have one.

The rational is 'aerodynamics", .....or at least the marketing b/s says so.

The airflow deflects and draws away rain and dust particles blah, blah...

No mention of a stationary car covered in rain, reversing or moving in slow traffic in rain. Nor having to clear a dirt or dust covered window.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

More a concern with the lack of rear wipers on some modern cars.

The Jaguar I-Pace, much praised Hyundai Ionic 5 and Kia EV6 are just 3 examples of cars with sloping, hatchback type rear windscreens, that have no rear wiper, or even the option to have one.

The rational is 'aerodynamics", .....or at least the marketing b/s says so.

The airflow deflects and draws away rain and dust particles blah, blah...

No mention of a stationary car covered in rain, reversing or moving in slow traffic in rain. Nor having to clear a dirt or dust covered window.

Whereas, of course, the airflow in reality does no such thing (at least on the Ioniq 5), as a glance at any number of Youtube videos will show. I have one and it's infuriating: the rear window is a real mud magnet here in rural Norfolk. Within a day of being cleaned the damn thing is opaque again.

To add insult to injury, when you turn on the windscreen wipers a little confirmation panel appears in the dash confirming the setting of the "Front Wipers". WTF? There are no other wipers, so why the "Front"? Or was there a rear wiper during development that was then axed as a cost-cutting measure...?

The "work around" is that you can use the reversing camera at any time. The problem is -- you've guessed it -- that's quite low down so also gets covered in mud.

First World Problems? Yeah: otherwise it's a pretty near perfect car for my purposes. YMMV.

Paul