The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

On 19/02/2022 at 09:34, SamThomas said:

Wonderful, are they not ;

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/experts-needed-put-electric-batteries-231540158.html

Still, the fire will go out when the ship eventually sinks polluting the ocean.

Should be interesting when one catches fire in a multistory carpark...

5 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Queued up on the motorway behind it or stuck on the diversions... It's something that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later, it's bad enough when a i/c powered car goes up, I dread to think what the consequences would be if they had to "allow a controlled burn". But rather than being negative, perhaps it has been addressed, anyone know? 

I've had rather personal experience of this. 4 hours while the thing burnt to the ground on the A14.  The three fire engines that attended couldn't do anything except keep the grass bank from burning too much. Apparently from talking to the crew there's absolutely nothing they can do to put them out. They're concerned about how things will play out in the future.

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

If people switch to keeping their vehicle topped up rather than using the fossil fuel mentality of discharging the battery every time before recharging it there won't be a problem. Most journeys undertaken today only require half an hour to recharge the battery (fifteen minutes if the owner also charges them at their destination). With intelligent charging systems that load can be spread over 12 hours since most cars don't move once the owner has arrived back home.

That only works if people can "drip feed" the battery while at home or work (ideally). Lots of people, myself included, won't be able to charge at home or work so will need the facility to fully charge at a public charger in a few minutes to make an EV viable.

17 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Queued up on the motorway behind it or stuck on the diversions... It's something that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later, it's bad enough when a i/c powered car goes up, I dread to think what the consequences would be if they had to "allow a controlled burn". But rather than being negative, perhaps it has been addressed, anyone know? 

It appears that fire brigades may need to invest in some new equipment.

https://cfpa-e.eu/container-puts-out-inextinguishable-fires-in-electric-cars/

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Another factor with EVs that i had not heard about until recently, is the problem caused by cowboy anti corrosion companies. The just spray it under the whole car approach gives the fire brigade problems with evs and hybrids as they cannot see the yellow/orange battery and cables that must not be cut through with cutting equipment in car crashes.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Vistisen said:

Another factor with EVs that i had not heard about until recently, is the problem caused by cowboy anti corrosion companies.......

Who on earth is doing that to modern day cars?

Sounds like a nonsense story, unless I'm misinformed?

• Agree 3

Autogefühl have a more in-depth look at the design of  the VW ID Buzz, with the chief designer.

They appear to have had priority over the other motoring journalists, both press and YouTube channels......

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Who on earth is doing that to modern day cars?

Sounds like a nonsense story, unless I'm misinformed?

If it's cowboys doing it, they won't care about whether it's needed - just whether they can con someone into thinking it is...

Meanwhile, this weekend, a mass handover of new Tesla cars took place at Southampton docks.

Nearly 1,000 customers took delivery of their new cars, including a large number of the Model Y.

image_from_ios-38.jpg?itok=ph3vBcw1

image_from_ios-34.jpg?itok=t0rumgX_

image_from_ios-35.jpg?itok=lYNJrlUX

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I strongly suspect this is just more FUD.

Not it's not. I am one of the 'converted' althought still waiting for my solar panels to recharge out cars, doing my bit to solve the last mile problems :-). The last time my old petrol car was undersealed. (not done by a cowboy but by an offical dealer). They managed to spray part of the exhaust system causing massive cvlouds of smoke as it burnt off for the first couple of days.  Here is a section from a a trustwortjhy site https://www.napaautopro.com/en/

'When you finally buy the hybrid or electric car of your dreams, there are some things you should watch out for. For one, some vehicle warranties are weakened or voided altogether if rust proofing is applied. Manufacturers do not recommend using rust-proofing, claiming that coating hybrid parts and high-voltage electrical wiring can cause serious damage.'  Hence my choice of the word 'cowboys'

Edited by Vistisen
  • Informative/Useful 1

First and last time I saw/smelt underbody sealing was when my dad had it done in the early 1970’s on a brand new Austin Maxi! They drilled it full of holes and filled it with an evil smelling black gunk, then plugged the holes with bright yellow plastic bungs.

Modern cars are light years away from the rust buckets of yesteryear. Cannot believe anyone still does this, utterly bizarre.

idd

3 hours ago, idd15 said:

Yay it’s back! 

eUp Returns

Though might be a little while yet for the UK.

idd

It's been brought back as a temporary stopgap, until the VW ID Life (to become ID1 or ID2 ??) goes into production in 2 years time.

With small, lower cost, city car EV's like the Dacia Spring appearing in the market, VW group were left without a competing product in that sector.

I've read somewhere that deliveries will be about 12 months away.

1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

It's been brought back as a temporary stopgap, until the VW ID Life (to become ID1 or ID2 ??) goes into production in 2 years time.

With small, lower cost, city car EV's like the Dacia Spring appearing in the market, VW group were left without a competing product in that sector.

I've read somewhere that deliveries will be about 12 months away.

Was somewhat underwhelmed by the ID2/1 when I saw the prototype/concept and even more underwhelmed with its anticipated production date. Perhaps that will change for me.

$64k question on the Spring though is there going to be a RHD version for the UK market? Don’t think Dacia have committed themselves yet. Hope they do.

idd

2 minutes ago, idd15 said:

$64k question on the Spring though is there going to be a RHD version for the UK market? Don’t think Dacia have committed themselves yet. Hope they do.

Hope so. India is your friend as that's a big market for cheap RHD cars and the reason we can get RHD fossil Dacias.