The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, idd15 said:

They are almost Tesla like in use as well, plug in and swipe card and your charging. No faffing with an app, bliss!

Almost perfect. Perfect would be not need to even swipe the card. The car should be the payment system (optional, so people who share a car can disable it).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 30801 said:

Ionity do this but it needs manufacturer support.

https://insideevs.com/news/540356/ionity-europe-plug-charge-feature

That would also allow manufacturers to disable a car if it's reported stolen. Not just to disable the payment feature but, since the car can be identified, to prevent any form of charging. You could even have it lock the plug in place such that the vehicle couldn't be moved without destroying the charger - though I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

Edited by AndrueC

3 hours ago, AndrueC said:

That would also allow manufacturers to disable a car if it's reported stolen. Not just to disable the payment feature but, since the car can be identified, to prevent any form of charging. You could even have it lock the plug in place such that the vehicle couldn't be moved without destroying the charger - though I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

A number of cars can already be disabled remotely, from an app on your phone.

Provided the car can receive a signal and connect to the internet.

• RMweb Premium
On 12/04/2022 at 09:44, AndrueC said:

Almost perfect. Perfect would be not need to even swipe the card. The car should be the payment system (optional, so people who share a car can disable it).

Nah, much prefer paying with a dedicated paying system. The car is the device for moving people and stuff around. I'm very, very much not a fan of everything connected and crammed full of electronics (my biggest turn-off for buying any new car, electric or not).

• RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2022 at 17:40, boxbrownie said:

And that should prove to you just how good small cars are nowadays at crash worthiness 😀

I was more interested in how a car pulling out of a side road could have a heads on collision. Unless of course the RR was in the middle of doing a 90 degree drifting demonstration at the time of impact

8 hours ago, Vistisen said:

I was more interested in how a car pulling out of a side road could have a heads on collision. Unless of course the RR was in the middle of doing a 90 degree drifting demonstration at the time of impact

You assume that - all RR drivers are homicidal maniacs that truely believe they do actually own the road. Some people actually need a vehicle that can combine seating 4 people in comfort, be nice to driver, able to fold the seats down & get a fair load in the back & be able to tow a 3ton box trailer - not many vehicles can do that....................

The car turned right & onto the wrong side iof the road.

21 hours ago, Vistisen said:

Will it drift?

Edited by rocor

10 hours ago, SamThomas said:

One would hope that road was closed to oncoming traffic.

Judging by the things for driving 4x4s up it's a test track.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Looked like Chobham track.

Yep, Longcross - the former military testing ground, now a film studio.

I've been up those tank ramps in a rally car, back when we were allowed to do motorsport there.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Nick C said:

Yep, Longcross - the former military testing ground, now a film studio.

I've been up those tank ramps in a rally car, back when we were allowed to do motorsport there.

I’ve been up them in a Transit Connect…….😄

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, idd15 said:

Found this clip interesting, certainly gives fuel for thought…🙂

JCB Hydrogen

idd

Not so much food for thought but more that way remote heavy machinery and long distance delivery’s will be fuelled.

Not suitable for pure battery power, too much weight and size for range.

Whilst not a vehicle, I’ve had a presentation at work for using hydrogen fuel cells to power my construction cabins in lieu of gas oil / solar / mains.

whilst it looks good on paper, it’s emerging technology so a few issues to consider:

* size of the plant & equipment (20m*20m compound required by the supplier)

* availability of green hydrogen - they would be importing it

* price - quite high and more than gas oil, HVO and mains 

there are certainly hydrogen options on the horizon for off road plant but short term, HVO is bringing any claimed CO2 savings on big construction projects, interspersed with hydrogen or electric prototypes or currently unique production items (eg the electric crawler crane unveiled recently in HS2 is a first of kind item)

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Whilst not a vehicle, I’ve had a presentation at work for using hydrogen fuel cells to power my construction cabins in lieu of gas oil / solar / mains.

whilst it looks good on paper, it’s emerging technology so a few issues to consider:

* size of the plant & equipment (20m*20m compound required by the supplier)

* availability of green hydrogen - they would be importing it

* price - quite high and more than gas oil, HVO and mains 

there are certainly hydrogen options on the horizon for off road plant but short term, HVO is bringing any claimed CO2 savings on big construction projects, interspersed with hydrogen or electric prototypes or currently unique production items (eg the electric crawler crane unveiled recently in HS2 is a first of kind item)

Pah all you need is some running water (i.e. a river), a waterwheel to generate electricity ahead of a big scoop to draw off the water into machinery to extract the H from the H20.  Simples.

Don't know what all the fuss is about.....🤔

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Not so much food for thought but more that way remote heavy machinery and long distance delivery’s will be fuelled.

Still struggling to see the point in hydrogen combustion but at least you won't get diesel fumes stinking up your quarry.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Still struggling to see the point in hydrogen combustion but at least you won't get diesel fumes stinking up your quarry.

None with current technology. It requires three times as much electricity so a grid that is straining to provide for a fleet of BEVs is not going to stand a cat in hell's chance of providing for a fleet of hydrogen powered vehicles. Hydrogen is useful for certain classes of vehicle (long-distance HGV basically) but for anything else BEV makes far more sense.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

None with current technology. It requires three times as much electricity so a grid that is straining to provide for a fleet of BEVs is not going to stand a cat in hell's chance of providing for a fleet of hydrogen powered vehicles. Hydrogen is useful for certain classes of vehicle (long-distance HGV basically) but for anything else BEV makes far more sense.

Unfortunately any truck worth carrying a load will not be able to carry the weight in batteries required for distance work, which is why long distance load haul is looking towards hydrogen power, fuel cell stuff.

36 minutes ago, 30801 said:

The benefit of Hydrogen EV over Battery EV is weight,  the longer the distance and the more power that is required causes a linear increase in weight of the vehicle as it simply needs more and more banks of batteries.  However a Hydrogen EV has a single weight and you simply recharge the Hydrogen tanks at regular intervals.

Ergo - anything designed for long distance and heavy weight be it wheeled, winged or floaty needs Hydrogen.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Unfortunately any truck worth carrying a load will not be able to carry the weight in batteries required for distance work, which is why long distance load haul is looking towards hydrogen power, fuel cell stuff.

Yes. Basically what I posted. HGVs use hydrogen, everything else is BEV for as long as it takes to either find a better way of producing hydrogen or better batteries.

Hydrogen is quite simply not a fuel. It's an energy transportation medium and currently only 30% efficient.

Edited by AndrueC

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

As far as I can see there are two situations in which it makes sense to use electricity to create hydrogen:

If you produce more electricty than you require and cannot transport it over a grid. Then rather than just letting it go to waste, you can create hydrogen.

If you have an area very suited to production of electricity but with no infrastructure to transport it due to geographical, political or financal restraints, then producting hydrogen which can be transported by ship might make sense. 

• Agree 3