Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Airbrush Problems - PremiAir G35

Having dismantled and re-assembled the entire Premiair G35 more times than I care to remember , I finally achieved success yesterday and it is now working (for now at least) and I was successfully spraying paints yesterday , I do not know why I was having so many problems , it could be the extra tightening with the nozzle (using the spanner) which did the trick - something I was a bit cautious of due to the delicate nature of the component.

The pulsing (previously mentioned) is no longer occuring , neither is the bubbling of paint within the cup.

My compressor is a cheapo chinese AS18-2 , this was bought three years ago at a bargain price from ALDI complete with an airbrush , the airbrush included proved to be rubbish , although at first glance it looked `professional` it soon became apparent that it was extremely difficult to maintain a steady  paint flow .

Maybe it is just me , but the pressure from the compressor doesnt seem to be as `forceful` as it was when I first purchased it , it has a built in pressure gauge which is meaningless under these circumstances , the motor doesnt seem to be running as rapidly as it did when new either , nevertheless there is still sufficient pressure at the moment (at least) to spray paint .

• Agree 1

On 23/08/2021 at 03:07, Threshold Of Dreams said:

My compressor is a cheapo chinese AS18-2 , this was bought three years ago at a bargain price from ALDI complete with an airbrush , the airbrush included proved to be rubbish , although at first glance it looked `professional` it soon became apparent that it was extremely difficult to maintain a steady  paint flow .

Maybe it is just me , but the pressure from the compressor doesnt seem to be as `forceful` as it was when I first purchased it , it has a built in pressure gauge which is meaningless under these circumstances , the motor doesnt seem to be running as rapidly as it did when new either , nevertheless there is still sufficient pressure at the moment (at least) to spray paint .

I mentioned in an earlier post that the compressor needs a pressure regulator, which will have a pressure gauge.  This should keep the flow constant.  I had a similar issue to that described until I woke up and installed a regulator on mine - much better performance.  Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Now, slightly off topic but I did promise to report back on my experience with the Neat and Handy airbrush.  I have used it a couple of times now and IMO it does a good job.  It does get out of breath if the trigger is held down for a long time.  My friend has the same airbrush and he tells me his experience with it is also positive.  He told me he didn't notice any breathlessness but that may be the difference between 4mm and 7mm.

Pictures of weathered stock using the airbrush can be been in the layout link below.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 23/08/2021 at 08:07, Threshold Of Dreams said:

I assume that you now have your new Sparmax brush, and wonder if the compressor showed any improvement when used with that?

DT

• 1 year later...

I've been struggling with my rather ancient Badger airbrush for years. Way back when I gave it to the Badger rep at the Wembley show and he gave it a good cleaning and got it working. More recently I've strted to try to use it again and it suffers the same problems as others have mentioned above. Not picking paint up, blotches, the lot. I discovered the neoprene washer that sits in the nozzle had gone walkabout so ordered some more from the supplier. itted a new one this evening and guess what, no improvement!

I've stripped the brush down at least 3 times, each time it picks up thinners then blocks again. I eventually dismantled the needle and found it wasn't going right through the nozzle. I used some Badger airbrush reamer, that seems to have shifted a blockage in the nozzle. It was getting late so I did't try a 3rd lot tonight, maybe tomorrow!

Also, my compressor broke last week!  I've had it since about 1971, got it from EAMES when they were ar Kings Cross! I'd changed the air pipe adaptor and the replacement did't have a pressure relief hole, so pressure built up and eventually the end of the motor shaft broke. I think I'd had my money's worth. However, I have a portable Clarks compressor in the workshop, got that running with an additional regulator. What pressure do others use for spraying models? I know when I'm spraying full size buses I use about 20 psi, on models they seem to need a lot more pressure. I suppose trial and error will come into the equation tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

I've been struggling with my rather ancient Badger airbrush for years. Way back when I gave it to the Badger rep at the Wembley show and he gave it a good cleaning and got it working. More recently I've strted to try to use it again and it suffers the same problems as others have mentioned above. Not picking paint up, blotches, the lot. I discovered the neoprene washer that sits in the nozzle had gone walkabout so ordered some more from the supplier. itted a new one this evening and guess what, no improvement!

I've stripped the brush down at least 3 times, each time it picks up thinners then blocks again. I eventually dismantled the needle and found it wasn't going right through the nozzle. I used some Badger airbrush reamer, that seems to have shifted a blockage in the nozzle. It was getting late so I did't try a 3rd lot tonight, maybe tomorrow!

Also, my compressor broke last week!  I've had it since about 1971, got it from EAMES when they were ar Kings Cross! I'd changed the air pipe adaptor and the replacement did't have a pressure relief hole, so pressure built up and eventually the end of the motor shaft broke. I think I'd had my money's worth. However, I have a portable Clarks compressor in the workshop, got that running with an additional regulator. What pressure do others use for spraying models? I know when I'm spraying full size buses I use about 20 psi, on models they seem to need a lot more pressure. I suppose trial and error will come into the equation tomorrow.

I tend to use between 10 & 15 psi.

Only tend to use enamel paints, and depending on what I’m doing the paint/thinners ratio could be 2:1 (mainly for livery colours application), 3:2 or even 1:1 for weathering. Lower psi for thinner paints!

I’m far from an expert on this, and ‘know’ I do things wrong (mixing paint in the spray cup is an unforgivable sin according to most text on the subject, but it’s the only way I’ve done it! Thinners in first though 😅)

I did start using an airbrush well before any ‘expert’ advice was easily available, so just made it up as I went along.

I’m generally happy with the results….

I’m only really saying all this, to prove your last sentence is true !

Don’t stick to what you’re told is correct, find what works for you….

Cheers,

Phil.

I had another go this morning, I may have the wrong combination of nozzle and needle! It seems I have a medium needle, 2 notches in the end and an unidentifiable nozzle, the needle seems to stick through too far, maybe 3mm out of the end. But at last I'm getting results at last using abut 15psi/1 bar.

Part of the problem was a build-up of paint inside the nozzle. a good spray with some old Badger reamer cleared it, but that stuff seem to be no longer available from Barwell. Cellulose thinners may be the answer, I've got a 5 litre can in the workshop.

Any idea how to identify the nozzle size?

9 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

I suppose the higher the pressure the more chance of paint drying in the nozzle before it's done anything useful? I'll give the tip another blast with Badger reamer cleaner and see what happens.

Acrylic paint has a tendency to dry in the nozzle.  To fix that use Tamiya Paint Retarder.  There's a Vallejo version as well.

John

• RMweb Gold

I was starting to get issues with my Sparmax Max4 which i have had for over 5 years now and use mostly for etching primer and weathering. It was blotching and struggling to get a good even spray even when i adjusted between 15-30 psi using enamels. Ordered a new 0.4 needle and nozzle as i have a feeling the nozzle is worn from regular cleaning/reaming and i detect a tiny burr on the end of the needle. I also have an Iwata Neo for spraying locos etc and finer work. Ptfe tape around the nozzle and crown threads help seal aswell and prevent air leaking out. For cleaning i only use Premiair Liquid Reamer. Gets rid of everything, even melting the latex gloves i wear!!!

Edited by ianLMS