Night Mail (Talking Pictures)

Hroth

If you haven't seen Night Mail for a while, its going to be repeated on Talking Pictures this evening (15/08/21) at 7pm.

The only things that let it down are Audens rumpty-tumpty verse and Brittens plucking and scraping...

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

If you haven't seen Night Mail for a while, its going to be repeated on Talking Pictures this evening (15/08/21) at 7pm.

The only things that let it down are Audens rumpty-tumpty verse and Brittens plucking and scraping...

I always believed it was Auden's verse and Britten's dramatic tones which made the film. Especially given that the vast majority of it was filmed in a studio with mockup carraiges and swaying postal workers.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

I always believed it was Auden's verse and Britten's dramatic tones which made the film. Especially given that the vast majority of it was filmed in a studio with mockup carraiges and swaying postal workers.

Britten and Auden are of their time and to be frank, their work leaves me cold. I was going to mention the interior sequences as another unconvincing (wooden?) aspect of the film...

However, the exterior shots of the railway environment are good, even if the sequence of train movements at Crewe are, shall we say, implausible!

Edited by Hroth
euphony

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I reckon a film about sending an email would be absolutely riveting..... 

No emails, but Talking Pictures have also recently broadcast an updated version of Night Mail, made in 1987.  I didn't watch it, so I've no idea of its merits...

Wasn't a film about sending an email tarted up as a romantic comedy, for added interest?

• Like 1