Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EWS60065's Modern-ish Wagon Projects (Weathering, Modifying, Scratchbuilds)

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

I have rough CAD’s of the MLA’s and they are very dimensionally similar to the IEA’s, which are essentially cut down versions of the IOA boxes that Dapol produce. 

The IEA is not a cutdown IOA.

The IOA is a short/high box, the IEA is a long low box.

The IEA's were actually incorrectly labelled as IOAs and quickly overstickered. 

This one was brand new into the UK and still carrying the delivery note.

IEAtag.jpg.6bf79288a77f489ddad202f0f095195f.jpgIEA.jpg.d439e1f5e1d550be21233e39fc338b93.jpg

On a separate note -  Pretty sure the Network Rail MLAs have different bogies to the EWS MLAs

NwR - Y25

EWS - Axle Motion 3 - same a JNA/IEA Falcon and HQA autoballasters

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

54 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The IEA is not a cutdown IOA.

The IOA is a short/high box, the IEA is a long low box.

The IEA's were actually incorrectly labelled as IOAs and quickly overstickered. 

This one was brand new into the UK and still carrying the delivery note.

IEAtag.jpg.6bf79288a77f489ddad202f0f095195f.jpgIEA.jpg.d439e1f5e1d550be21233e39fc338b93.jpg

On a separate note -  Pretty sure the Network Rail MLAs have different bogies to the EWS MLAs

NwR - Y25

EWS - Axle Motion 3 - same a JNA/IEA Falcon and HQA autoballasters

Thanks for the info, I've got some Dapol HIA bogies ready to put under the MLA which are of a Y25 design. I will be representing one of the Network Rail ones as opposed to the Metronet ones or EWS ones with different bogies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

Nice take on the MLA’s! Dapol underwent a new ownership circa 2009 which is why their MLA and 1st generation RDT projects got shelved, with work focusing on the JNA and MRA wagons. 

I have rough CAD’s of the MLA’s and they are very dimensionally similar to the IEA’s, which are essentially cut down versions of the IOA boxes that Dapol produce. LTSV Wagons has a good slice of info on them despite technical information/drawings being unavailable. 

Thanks, that would explain the sudden dissaparence of it from Dapol's range. Shame, but if it allowed the JNAs to be produced instead then that's a good thing. 

I did consider doing a 3D print but decided fabrication would be easier for me. I'd be interested to see if you ever produce any from your CADs though 

Well the MLA has progressed quite a lot recently

20230630_160743.jpg.f5a2eba6b5bd636cf416a57d7a07431b.jpg

Various details have been added including spares from Cambrian kits and Dapol IOA buffers. The bogies are from the Dapol HIA. 

20230630_174722.jpg.17d0d786fdfdcf95e392d57d32824cb3.jpg

It's now in primer awaiting a nice coat of NR yellow. 

I've also been weathering my two clean JNAs

20230630_174441.jpg.4937f7e6e019dcd2058830b3f3770c25.jpg20230630_174451.jpg.1e3d27f9abb1a7090f58f2d2595f0002.jpg

I've gone for a subtle effect here and perhaps the darker interior colour is the most striking improvement. The weathering was achieved with a light airbush spray over the lower half of the wagons. This was followed by applying a dark wash over the body, streaked downwards. Engineers chalk markings and ballast residue have been added too. 

I'm in the process of weathering the OBAs so look out for those soon. 

Edited by EWS60065
  • Like 12

MLA looks incredible! Top work on the fabrication, I definitely agree that a physical fab is better than CAD. Given me some inspiration to continue with my own projects.

I did a test print on my Elegoo Saturn but never got it working properly, so it didn’t materialise. 
Look forward to seeing the MLA in top coat and decals! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

MLA looks incredible! Top work on the fabrication, I definitely agree that a physical fab is better than CAD. Given me some inspiration to continue with my own projects.

I did a test print on my Elegoo Saturn but never got it working properly, so it didn’t materialise. 
Look forward to seeing the MLA in top coat and decals! 

Cheers, I've always liked the idea of 3D printing stuff but I can imagine it would be difficult to get the hang of. Out of interest how much would it have cost to print an MLA body approx? 

4 minutes ago, EWS60065 said:

Cheers, I've always liked the idea of 3D printing stuff but I can imagine it would be difficult to get the hang of. Out of interest how much would it have cost to print an MLA body approx? 

Because of the size of the bed, I split the CAD in half and opted for gluing the two halves together, with a rib concealing the join. I could print 2.5 - 3 bodies per print. Was about 30-40p per cycle if memory serves me correctly. 

The hardest part of the CAD was dimensions. I drew a 2D template as it’s easier to delete and redraw than using paper - plus cad more accurate to the 0.1mm. I then drew the sides and ribs up in 3D, placing them on the 2D drawing like you would as if using a physical jig. I used the base MLA 3D CAD for the IEA, which I made some edits on. My drawings were based on proportions of what looked right. Seeing the prints, I could make edits in the drawing etc but never got that far.

• Like 2

Coalfish Photoshoot

I've been out with a plank to see how the current Coalfish rake looks behind a class 66. Pretty happy with the length, obviously my MTAs are missing but I didn't have room to add them!

Currently formed from Hornby MHAs, Accurascale MHAs, and Bachmann MFAs

DSC_0523.JPG.8c7a8628dd8e0c503d894a4a0c45e4ff.JPGDSC_0525.JPG.61329177351e2be5c072234df6b010b7.JPG

• Like 7

3 hours ago, WCML100 said:

wow these look impressive mate! need to get to work on my MTA's and then renumber / weather up the whole rake! 

seriously looking good! 😄

Thanks, I also have a bit of renumbering to do on these! 

• Like 1

Mesh Sided OBAs

After months of slow progress and sitting around on the workbench, my mesh sided OBAs are finally finished. These iconic engineering wagons were converted by EWS to have mesh doors for ease of operation, however the only models available depict wooden doors. These models are Cambrian kits with new doors made from steel mesh with plastic framework. My first attempt at one of these wagons was getting on for 2 years ago - I'm much happier with these new ones in comparison, meaning the old one will be retired from the fleet.

Mesh OBAs

Mesh OBAs

My 'signature method' was used to create the rust bleeding effect on the ends, using 5 different shades of orange getting progressively darker. Whilst I won't be doing any more mesh wagons (bar the Super Tench, more on that later), I feel there is still room for improvement on the doors. If I were to do another, an etched brass mesh may be worth using as well as making the frames thinner around the door. Despite this, I'm happy with the outcome and I look foward to seeing them carrying miniature engineering supplies at the front of a train of Salmon/Falcons.

Mesh OBAs

Mesh OBAs

Mesh OBAs

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Those OBAs look superb! Your wagon projects are varied and each one is individual - the rake of 2-axle ballast opens have inspired me to get on with finishing my set, it’s only been…a few years!

Keep up the great work,

Jack.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jack374 said:

Those OBAs look superb! Your wagon projects are varied and each one is individual - the rake of 2-axle ballast opens have inspired me to get on with finishing my set, it’s only been…a few years!

Keep up the great work,

Jack.

Thanks a lot for the kind words Jack. That's very much the idea with the Bass - I have one more left to do (grey OCA). I like how they break up the uniformity of Falcons or Salmons.

I enjoyed seeing your old posts on Coalfish so that would definitely be appreciated by me! 

• Like 1

MLA Scratchbuild

Well hot off the heels of the mesh sided Bass is my MLA Falcon wagon shown a few posts back. This wagon is a scratchbuild as no RTR models or kits are available, built from plasticard and a few spare Cambrian components. I've utilised Dapol HIA bogies here which are the same type used on the MLAs. The wagon has now received its top coat of NR yellow (intended to be slightly lighter than the JNAs) and a light weathering of rusty scratches.

MLA 503112

MLA 503112

MLA 503112

MLA 503112

MLA 503112

This has quite possibly been one of my favourite scratchbuilds, as the distinctive shape of the MLA wagon could be captured very quickly. And of course the best thing is that I've added another wagon to the Falcon rake for around £10-15 (materials etc.).

In terms of things on the workbench, the FJA Super Tench has made a return. Photos of this will follow.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by EWS60065
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

1 minute ago, Andy7 said:

Great job on the MLA. I can see a couple being done by myself off the back of your one.

Thanks Andy, they're surprisingly nice to do if you're prepared to simplify it a little. 

2 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

Wow seriously impressive mate! The MLA is something else and the general weathering and ballast residue on the whole is very good well done 👍🏻 

Thanks very much. Need to buy some more Dapol JNAs now 😭

• Funny 1

Well I've lost all inspiration with the FJA Super Tench... 

I've been working on it a lot recently and yesterday started to apply the first coat of Maroon. However, this has highlighted the poor quality of the mesh sides which I built a while ago as well as several other problems. 

20230712_100213.jpg.950f20fdc7bfde7063ab14c2e47c6483.jpg

The issue is that I started building this wagon a year ago and my skills have improved a lot since then - while I could finish it to an okay standard, I feel it doesn't meet the quality of my more recent builds.

The only way foward would be to completely remake the doors. It's a case of how much more time do I really want to put into this wagon. 

Any thoughts about what to do? 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, EWS60065 said:

Well I've lost all inspiration with the FJA Super Tench... 

I've been working on it a lot recently and yesterday started to apply the first coat of Maroon. However, this has highlighted the poor quality of the mesh sides which I built a while ago as well as several other problems. 

20230712_100213.jpg.950f20fdc7bfde7063ab14c2e47c6483.jpg

The issue is that I started building this wagon a year ago and my skills have improved a lot since then - while I could finish it to an okay standard, I feel it doesn't meet the quality of my more recent builds.

The only way foward would be to completely remake the doors. It's a case of how much more time do I really want to put into this wagon. 

Any thoughts about what to do? 

Don’t be disheartened by it. What might look poor quality to you now, was the best when you started it. There is nothing that cannot be reworked, even at this stage. Continuous improvement has its pros and cons. 

IMO, it’s a matter not of how much time do you want to continue investing, but what’s the workbench priority. You’ve highlighted what needs to change on them, and all that needs doing is that plan being put into action. A break from the wagon would be healthy. I know the pain of painting and then going back to reworking - but that’s how we make our models the best we can. One step back to go a leap forward. There’s nothing wrong with sidelining wagons until the motivation comes along. I mean, most of my projects are currently shelved. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

Don’t be disheartened by it. What might look poor quality to you now, was the best when you started it. There is nothing that cannot be reworked, even at this stage. Continuous improvement has its pros and cons. 

IMO, it’s a matter not of how much time do you want to continue investing, but what’s the workbench priority. You’ve highlighted what needs to change on them, and all that needs doing is that plan being put into action. A break from the wagon would be healthy. I know the pain of painting and then going back to reworking - but that’s how we make our models the best we can. One step back to go a leap forward. There’s nothing wrong with sidelining wagons until the motivation comes along. I mean, most of my projects are currently shelved. 

Thanks for the advice, think that's what I'll do. The way I've been wanting to go is to build more bogie wagons as I have quite a lot of 4 wheelers so this felt a perfect project to pick up again. I'll put it away though and maybe give the doors another go another time. I'm starting a nice simple Cambrian OCA now (what could possibly go wrong!) 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EWS60065 said:

Thanks for the advice, think that's what I'll do. The way I've been wanting to go is to build more bogie wagons as I have quite a lot of 4 wheelers so this felt a perfect project to pick up again. I'll put it away though and maybe give the doors another go another time. I'm starting a nice simple Cambrian OCA now (what could possibly go wrong!) 

It’s good to have a theme to work to. Your MLA is looking top notch! Made me want to continue with mine. 

• Like 1