EWS60065's Modern-ish Wagon Projects (Weathering, Modifying, Scratchbuilds)

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

You're welcome. I've done some Hornby OAA's myself, given their age I don't think they are bad models. I wasn't brave enough to tackle the underframe other than to fix the pivoting axle, but the bodies are fine to work with and weather quite well. 

I'm looking forward to seeing your results. 

275277548_420170756524799_3893333633015058957_n.jpg.44c67983dc54f0abe5c70c2ced19efbb.jpg

That looks very nice. Yeah the bodies are well moulded and if anything they are finer than the Bachmann OBA. 

20221107_193545.jpg.a2d9c08f80f957760cbcbac2b9e54ebc.jpg20221107_193615.jpg.c6c801efe4467ea565e550817a3795d0.jpg

I've added some details made from Cambrian components and styrene strip. The solebars are the spare ones from the Cambrian SPA which after cutting down fit nicely under the body. I've still left the Hornby axle units on. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, steve1 said:

Have you seen these 3D underframes for the Hornby OAA? I have one to do and they are a perfect fit.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XU2TDHUQ6/oaa-chassis-for-Hornby-body-pair

steve

Yeah I have seen them. They look good but unfortunately too expensive for me - at around £25 each by the time you've added the body, wheels etc. you'd probably be better off buying the Rapido one when that comes out. 

I must say, for the amount of detail the chassis are not an unreasonable price. 

Thanks for the suggestion 

• Like 1

Hornby OAA 100098 

The refurbished Hornby OAA I mentioned has reached a stage of completion! 

This started off with a Hornby OAA wagon I bought a while ago with the intention to remodel the underframe to something more realistic. 

Here it is in it's delightfully tatty state - based on the real 100098 as of 2007, not long before it was fitted with mesh sides. 

OAA 100098

OAA 100098

OAA 100098

OAA 100098

OAA 100098

And the work done on the underframe.

This has been rebuilt using Cambrian solebars and other spare kit components combined with styrene strip modifications. The Hornby axle units remain as I was reasonably happy with them. 

The OAAs were introduced by BR in the early 70s as part of the new Air Braked Network. In more recent years, they have been put into engineering use as well as used for carrying Mendip stone blocks. In 2022 most have been withdrawn from service, with 100048 being the only one running. 

Thanks for viewing 

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I like to be resourceful with my modelling, so I've managed to find a use for the left over chassis block from the above OAA. 

This is an RRA-S runner wagon for overhanging loads, built around the Hornby OAA underframe.

20221118_195605.jpg.04fced0ed9d621f689ddfb41131226b5.jpg20221118_195513.jpg.d699f68c4691dca7e023076b4440347b.jpg

I've constructed headstocks from 40 thou styrene with Accurascale Oleo buffers. The underframe has been detailed too. The Hornby chassis used on their OAA, VDA, and SAA is most suited to this runner wagon, hence why I decided to use it on this rather than the OAA. Wheels are in Cambrian compensation units and axleboxes - changing the Brun springs for BR leaf springs as per prototype. The wooden floor is made from scribed balsa wood - there isn't really a better alternative for wood than the real thing! 

Weathering will commence on the weekend along with another RRA runner I made a while back (an ex VDA type). The pair will complement a Super Salmon I have planned for December... 

Edited by EWS60065
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

RRA Runner Wagon 400191 and FJA Super Tench Progress

Recently I've been weathering up the RRA Runner Wagon into a filthy state, the livery is a combination of Departmental and EWS. 

RRA 400191RRA 400191

The balsa wood floor came out nicely and looks a lot better than plasticard - so I'll be using that technique again. 

RRA 400191RRA 400191

The bodywork was treated with a paint on, wipe off method with my usual rust streak technique employed too. The wooden floor was simply undercoated in cheap aerosol black and heavily dry brushed in a light tan shade. If you are thinking about making wooden wagon floors out of balsa I recommend giving it a light sand before painting to remove excess fibres. 

On a side note, the FJA Super Tench started back in July has seen some progress eventually! 

20221128_161110.jpg.91d7d6f8e24c2b5b0258fb9decd94e7b.jpg

Door hinge detail added with styrene channel and the mesh sides have been fitted now. 

Thanks for reading and look out for the next update where I hopefully start work on the mentioned Super Salmon and get my other runner wagon finished. 

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

Looking good mate! Super Tench looks like hell of a job!

Thanks mate, I wish I had never started it. It's given me a lot of grief getting the mesh doors on. Just have to stick with it now as it's getting close to completion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heavymetalwagons said:

who's mesh are you using ? as I'm attempting to build a procor 80 from one of those lima/Hornby railroad things and the top deck needs to be mesh ?

thanks   

Hi it's Maquett steel mesh, not sure of the exact size but it's less than 1mm spacing. I got it from CM3 models but it's available elsewhere too. 

Edited by EWS60065

• 1 month later...

Hello again, apologies for the lapse in posts here. Here is a mega post on ZCAs. Recently, I've been working on a couple of Sea Urchins, a type of wagon very much underepresented in the ready to run market (with only a couple of kits available).

ZCA Sea Urchin 2ZCA Sea Urchin

Sea Urchin No. 1

So, a nice surprise was the recently released EFE Sea Urchin based on the old FTG models SPA. 

Despite the problems with the underframe highlighted many a time by owners of the SPAs, I couldn't resist one of these since it is the first time a Sea Urchin has been available ready to run. 

20230107_144437.jpg.9cdfba9bcc57e78d7563e7698547035e.jpg

The most prominent issues with the underframe I needed to fix were: 

Ride height too low

Springs lacking accuracy

Handbrake levers too large

20230109_211134.jpg.79cea0c26eafc767f829b19209d34b58.jpg20230109_213313.jpg.91c583ae56d2b0c4549b0f71e3ddc7f0.jpg

I was able to remove the levers and take some material off, refitting them so they protuded downwards less. I created new springs using laminated styrene strips stuck over the old ones once filed flat. With a central block added on each spring, I think they're an improvement and hopefully a more convincing Bruninghaus spring. The ride height was raised by inserting plastic shims between the wheel units and the body until the wagon's buffers matched the height of others. 

Both models are fitted with etched brake discs. 

The usual weathering processes commenced to give the wagon a toned down EWS livery reminiscent of these wagons in the early 2010s, using reference photos online. 

ZCA Sea Urchin

ZCA Sea Urchin

ZCA Sea Urchin

Sea Urchin No. 2 

I've had a Bachmann VDA chassis lurking around for a while that I purchased with the intention of creating a Sea Urchin on. After several false starts and failed attempts, I picked it up again recently. 

20230118_203808.jpg.8fd6d76575f3b95dc267ea96d1a58ca8.jpg

The body is constructed from plasticard and Plastruct strips. Detailing on the body includes (not all seen yet in above photo) Lanarkshire models Oleo buffers, Wizard coupling hooks, lamp irons made using bent staples, and brass handrails. 

Again, this model went in to the weathering works to represent a work-worn urchin of a similar time period, finished in a heavily faded departmental grey and yellow. 

ZCA Sea Urchin 2

ZCA Sea Urchin 2

ZCA Sea Urchin 2

ZCA Sea Urchin 2

In the way of other projects, for those not so obsessive about these wagons I'm afraid the Sea Urchin saga continues for a little longer.

I'm doing a complete rebuild of this one I made back in September 2021. It turned out I had built the body too tall so it didn't look right against other ZCAs. 

Screenshot_20230119-211158_Gallery.jpg.cf868442d359ce235b76801f8fc8d209.jpg

The Super Salmon and Super Tench wagons mentioned back in December are still works in progress unfortunately as I've lost a little inspiration with them. They will not be ignored though. 

If you made it to the end of this intense post of Sea Urchins I congratulate you! 

Thanks for reading

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Top work mate! The Workstained EWS example looks spot on, plenty long wheel base 4 wheeled wagons on my list to get weathered too and I will be happy if i get them half as good results as yours! Keep up the good work mate! 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

Top work mate! The Workstained EWS example looks spot on, plenty long wheel base 4 wheeled wagons on my list to get weathered too and I will be happy if i get them half as good results as yours! Keep up the good work mate! 

Thanks very much for the kind words. I'll look foward to seeing your efforts, judging by your work on the JGA I'm sure you're more than capable of producing something exciting! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Over the weekend I've had time to get that Mainline Sea Urchin finished I hinted at in the last post. As seen early on in this thread, I originally completed the model in September 2021.

Recently, I've been getting into ZCA wagons more and this model fell out of favour because I realised it was out of scale and a bit wonky in some aspects. The weathering did the job but I've challenged myself to see if I can improve upon it. 

Anyway, here is what I've managed to turn it into. 

ZCA M100077

ZCA M100077

ZCA M100077

ZCA M100077

ZCA M100077

Here's a pic of it under refurb

20230128_124652.jpg.a1dfc259a19be521ac86f481c1e85d8c.jpg

The process involved removing the sides and ends, taking about 2mm off their height, and generally tidying up the edges. When taking the ribs off I ended up making a hole in one of the sides so that one had to be re cut! I've tried to be as economical as possible and reuse the triangular sections too. 

It's received new ribs, new end detail and buffers, and new axle boxes to name a few. 

I now feel it's a well-deserved member of the growing Sea Urchin fleet. I hope to get some S-kits ones ordered soon too. 

Hope you've enjoyed this little update 

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

Nice work. It really looks the part and will fit in nicely along side the others you have done previously!

Thanks! Hoping to get a nice little rake of these going with some S kits and Cambrian ones to add. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, EWS60065 said:

Next in the Sea Urchin project... 

20230204_111353.jpg.c0592a43888f1ff6011f69ff44042add.jpg

I plan to do these ones as ex Transrail examples with some modifications to the kits including Lanarkshire buffers and new Bruninghaus springs. 

Have you looked at doing one of this version which is a pretty simple modification from the kit.  https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/Z-Tops-codes/ZCA/ZCA-Sea-Urchin/i-HhQb6tw/A

I’ve started working out transfers to order from Railtec’s custom range for the tops panels and Sea Urchin lettering to finally finish my rake off.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Have you looked at doing one of this version which is a pretty simple modification from the kit.  https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/Z-Tops-codes/ZCA/ZCA-Sea-Urchin/i-HhQb6tw/A

I’ve started working out transfers to order from Railtec’s custom range for the tops panels and Sea Urchin lettering to finally finish my rake off.

Hi, interesting idea but I think I've ready got my heart set on modeling a pair of triangular topped ones. Will think about that type if I manage to get any more Cambrian ones for the variety though. I'm always looking out for them second hand. 

I've noticed they don't come with hand rails, did you put those in yourself with wire? 

I plan to do the transfers using low GSM layout paper, similar to what James Makin used to do. For me it isn't worth the cost to get such a small quantity of transfers posted as my rake is quite mixed. With something like salmon or coalfish I will probably get some Railtec sheets. I also got some EWS logos transfers as I use those quite a lot and printing isn't a viable option. 

Have you got any pics of your rake on here? 

• RMweb Gold

I think the photos of the current status of mine were lost when the forum crashed.  I will get some new ones uploaded later of the current state.

Mine is one of those where I keep doing a little work then back in the box for another year before doing a little more.    For the transfers I’m using the Railtec custom tops panels, or at least will be (the first delivery will be for my TTAs)   

I now have in progress one of almost all the variants (I think there is one version I’m missing that is similar to the Cambrian with a different number of ribs)