EWS60065's Modern-ish Wagon Projects (Weathering, Modifying, Scratchbuilds)

Wow, great work as always mate! 

the Accura MHA’s look brilliant - you really have captured the look and weathered colour these get very well! They are on my hit list to do at some point but will probably wait until I have the full rake before i start work on mine.

the JNA also hits the spot! You hwve managed to get that golden ochre colour just right that they seem to all go to some extent! Which colours / methods did you use to get this as ive got a few that need doing at some point too! 

66 looks nice too and the original GBRF 66’s in the 2010’s are rarely seen modelled which is nice! 

Exciting to hear you are starting work on a new layout! Will you have a thread for that ? Interested to see where / what you will be modelling 😃

• Like 1

Just now, Bearwood West Yard said:

Excellent work! 
Been down the blockade at Parkstone this afternoon, JNA looks spot on. 
Some pictures fresh from today at Poole that might be of interest to anyone on this thread.

IMG_5147.jpeg

IMG_5148.jpeg

IMG_5146.jpeg

IMG_5122.jpeg

These photos show the ‘golden ochre’ kind of yellow these JNA’s seem to go as they weather!

I also like the ‘Network Fail’ on that particular wagon! Was that on 29552?

12 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

These photos show the ‘golden ochre’ kind of yellow these JNA’s seem to go as they weather!

I also like the ‘Network Fail’ on that particular wagon! Was that on 29552?

Yes that was on 29552. Was a right place right time moment xD 

It was a difficult one today as the rain made them an ocre orange with the dirt but as it dried out, it went back to being brown spotted yellow in nature. Definitely a sleeper grime brown. The pattern seems to look as though dry dab with a sponge (sponge version of dry brush) application would be the best method. I’ll need to have a go at this.

• Like 1

@WCML100

Thanks for the compliments, good luck with doing all the MHAs at once - the I section ribs take quite a while to work paint into! 😅

As for the JNA my standard method is to give them a spray of track dirt particularly over the underframe and then wipe off all the ribs as well as white painted bits etc. They then receive a liberal coating of Vallejo oiled earth wash. I leave that for 5 mins to go tacky and then draw it downwards with a rough brush, creating the streaks. Obviously the interior has been completely repainted too. 

The layout is still very much in the early stages - it's going to be an LDC  a bit like Westbury or Eastleigh (albeit smaller!). This will be somewhere I can house my long rakes of wagons and shunt them to form engineering trains that will leave the yard for possessions. Not sure whether to transform this thread or create a new one. 

@Bearwood West Yard

Great close ups of the JNA, thanks for those. I wonder if using an old DIY brush in a similar fashion to your sponge method would work too. Either way I think it could look great if not overdone. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, EWS60065 said:

@WCML100

Thanks for the compliments, good luck with doing all the MHAs at once - the I section ribs take quite a while to work paint into! 😅

As for the JNA my standard method is to give them a spray of track dirt particularly over the underframe and then wipe off all the ribs as well as white painted bits etc. They then receive a liberal coating of Vallejo oiled earth wash. I leave that for 5 mins to go tacky and then draw it downwards with a rough brush, creating the streaks. Obviously the interior has been completely repainted too. 

The layout is still very much in the early stages - it's going to be an LDC  a bit like Westbury or Eastleigh (albeit smaller!). This will be somewhere I can house my long rakes of wagons and shunt them to form engineering trains that will leave the yard for possessions. Not sure whether to transform this thread or create a new one. 

Sounds interesting - I will be following with interest :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, EWS60065 said:

@newbryford Yes an FDA! Originally I wanted to use the Hornby FFA as a base but these are much, much better. Need to add a mesh floor, T sections, and winches.

I bought a pair of Bachmann outers to do an FDA twin - still in my to-do pile.

• Like 1

FDA Twin Set Salmons

As revealed, I have been working on a couple of Bachmann FGAs to transform them into FDA track and sleeper carriers. The FDA wagons were converted from Freightliner FGA wagons in order to carry track sections and new sleepers, becoming part of the Salmon classification. They ran until around 2016 so fit perfectly within my era. I chose to model this type of wagon to increase the Salmon rake up to 4 wagons, but also because of their intriguing appearance (being an ex container wagon).

FDA Salmons

FDA Salmons

FDA Salmons

FDA Salmons

The starting point was of course Bachmann's stunning FGA wagon set released in 2018. These aren't that easy to come by but Kernow Model Rail Centre had some left for a reasonable price. The other option would be a Hornby FFA but this would require a lot more work (interestingly I chose the Hornby model as the donor for my ill-fated FJA Super Tench project).

20230921_122429.jpg.6825cc96b312c1a33e6f62d5d195a9b7.jpg

After fitting the supplied details, the mesh was fitted. Instead of the usual metal mesh I went for fabric this time. These are pieces of muslin cloth sprayed with several coats of hairspray to stiffen it up. They were then sprayed in aerosol black before being treated to a coat of hand painted brown.

I'll admit I cheated a bit on the winches - these are sections of wire with blobs of glue on each end. They appear to do the job in the end though. If anyone knows of a supplier who makes these winches please let me know.

20230925_170149.jpg.0c5a81ec75f449f26ce822b72a01fcc0.jpg

20230926_112222.jpg.28c62a97b41ce6e0613c04ef8311ebb7.jpg

The final addition was the two large beams running down the length of each wagon. These are formed from Plastruct 'T' section cut into 3 sections and butted together (see photos of the real FDAs). To represent the wooden part, I have drybrushed white along the tops of the beams.

20230926_205114.jpg.1482231b93daee0b27a1c305214ba79f.jpg

The wagons then received a spray of track dirt through an airbrush, this being the quickest way to coat the complex trusses underneath. Originally I had planned to weather over the blue, however the sun bleached red examples took my eye and I went for a full repaint instead. I used a lot of drybrushing in the weathering process to create a faded look, as well as dark washes around the details.

FDA Salmons

This has been a fun little project and something I have wanted to make ever since I discovered the FDAs. As always thanks for reading!

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Very nice work! I like how you’ve used and treated the Muslin cloth for the mesh. I’ve never thought of that approach, looks very much the part! How was it in comparison to metal mesh? I tend to use 0.3mm aperture stainless steel mesh and that can be difficult to work at smaller sizes, not forming easily and difficult to remove unwanted creases. 

• Like 1

@Bearwood West Yard Thank you, I came across it while searching for 'mesh' on Wilko to try and take advantage of their clearance! It was a pain to cut out to begin with however after coating with hairspray I was able to cut very clean lines (more so than metal). The only difficulty after that was working paint in as it was still slightly absorbent. I'm very happy with the result though.

19 hours ago, EWS60065 said:

FDA Twin Set Salmons

As revealed, I have been working on a couple of Bachmann FGAs to transform them into FDA track and sleeper carriers. The FDA wagons were converted from Freightliner FGA wagons in order to carry track sections and new sleepers, becoming part of the Salmon classification. They ran until around 2016 so fit perfectly within my era. I chose to model this type of wagon to increase the Salmon rake up to 4 wagons, but also because of their intriguing appearance (being an ex container wagon).

FDA Salmons

FDA Salmons

FDA Salmons

FDA Salmons

The starting point was of course Bachmann's stunning FGA wagon set released in 2018. These aren't that easy to come by but Kernow Model Rail Centre had some left for a reasonable price. The other option would be a Hornby FFA but this would require a lot more work (interestingly I chose the Hornby model as the donor for my ill-fated FJA Super Tench project).

20230921_122429.jpg.6825cc96b312c1a33e6f62d5d195a9b7.jpg

After fitting the supplied details, the mesh was fitted. Instead of the usual metal mesh I went for fabric this time. These are pieces of muslin cloth sprayed with several coats of hairspray to stiffen it up. They were then sprayed in aerosol black before being treated to a coat of hand painted brown.

I'll admit I cheated a bit on the winches - these are sections of wire with blobs of glue on each end. They appear to do the job in the end though. If anyone knows of a supplier who makes these winches please let me know.

20230925_170149.jpg.0c5a81ec75f449f26ce822b72a01fcc0.jpg

20230926_112222.jpg.28c62a97b41ce6e0613c04ef8311ebb7.jpg

The final addition was the two large beams running down the length of each wagon. These are formed from Plastruct 'T' section cut into 3 sections and butted together (see photos of the real FDAs). To represent the wooden part, I have drybrushed white along the tops of the beams.

20230926_205114.jpg.1482231b93daee0b27a1c305214ba79f.jpg

The wagons then received a spray of track dirt through an airbrush, this being the quickest way to coat the complex trusses underneath. Originally I had planned to weather over the blue, however the sun bleached red examples took my eye and I went for a full repaint instead. I used a lot of drybrushing in the weathering process to create a faded look, as well as dark washes around the details.

FDA Salmons

This has been a fun little project and something I have wanted to make ever since I discovered the FDAs. As always thanks for reading!

Top work on this fella! I am too tempted by these wagon but have enough on the to do list! Haha. 

love the alternative of using the cloth and it looks really good! The weathering finish is spot on too! You have really captured that faded red so common on the type of wagon along the sole bars! Well done mate!

• Like 1

@WCML100

On 29/09/2023 at 08:59, WCML100 said:

Top work on this fella! I am too tempted by these wagon but have enough on the to do list! Haha. 

love the alternative of using the cloth and it looks really good! The weathering finish is spot on too! You have really captured that faded red so common on the type of wagon along the sole bars! Well done mate!

Could have sworn I had replied to this! Thanks for the compliments

• Like 1

re mesh .I think i got this one 

Fine Expanded Aluminium Sheet (ema-models.co.uk) 1mm spacing a bit further down the page !stock code ems44100

personally i may try the 1.5 mesh next time as the holes are very tiny (less than a mill) and too easy to clog .I just one very light pass to stray prime ,but could easily clog up on the latter painting !!! 

I also got some metal Corrugated Sheet looks right for decking on comtic and some of the later steel bogie wagons ?

was wrong earlier the checker plate I got was by JTT 97455 (ps-1055) tread plate N-scale from buffers but still miles better than slaters 

Edited by heavymetalwagons
got it wrong AGAIN !!!
  • Like 1