The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

FlightRadar24 tracking spooks?

The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

MOOSE49, just cleared the border, is an 'interesting' flightpath; 2 circuits east of Kabul and no landing, apparently.  LHOB255,  a Quatari air force Globemaster, took off from Kabul 8 minutes ago, presumably evacuating Quatari citizens.  The usual Stratotanker is shown on the 'usual' flightpath where it crosses the southern border, and a Kam Air civilian A340 left Mazari Sharif earlier, tracked southwest, probably going to join it's mates in Iran.

I make it about 5 hours to the deadline.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

....MOOSE49, just cleared the border, is an 'interesting' flightpath; 2 circuits east of Kabul and no landing, apparently.....

It could be any number of reasons, but most likely a technical issue.

I don't imagine they'd want to have an aircraft grounded with a problem in Kabul with time running out.

• RMweb Gold

Quite possibly; I just hope it wasn't something horrible on the ground!  There has just been a missile attack on the airport thwarted by US countermissiles, and that may have caused MOOSE49's holding pattern and landing abort, and I would be surprised if there were not more civilian casualties.

MOOSE 42 clearly got out ok, and 81 looks as if it is inbound to land.  Probably won't be many after that!

Edited by The Johnster

Al Jazeera news just reported an increase in USAF (fighter) activity over Kabul.

The reporter saying that they know there are a lot of aircraft at high level, but now they've been patrolling at just a few thousand feet above the city and its surrounds, in what he suggested was a reminder and show of strength, until the withdrawal of troops is complete.

Tanker flights have increased in number as well.

58 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

.......MOOSE 42 clearly got out ok, and 81 looks as if it is inbound to land.  Probably won't be many after that!

Moose 86 looks like it's the last C17 evacuation flight.

There is finally a pause, with no more flights behind.

1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Tblisi, Georgia.

Completely by coincidence, this landed at Tblisi about an hour earlier.

https://www.radarbox.com/data/flights/ATILA05

From its flight history, does it mostly look like a small but regular NATO milk run?

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/ATILA05/history

An RAF Voyager tanker has just appeared (NAG99), coming back from Afghan airspace.

I'm not sure if we had RAF fighter cover out there today, or whether it was supporting the USAF, which I think unlikely?

Kam Air A340 YA-KMH is also on its way back from Abu Dhabi, presumably heading back to northern Afghanistan? 

47 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I'm not sure if we had RAF fighter cover out there today, or whether it was supporting the USAF, which I think unlikely?

Is the RAF in-flight refuelling compatible with USAF aircraft?

Put it another way, is there a NATO-standard system?

Edit:

Although it ranges worldwide, Voyager remains home-based at Brize Norton.  One aircraft is always available on the Falkland Islands, primarily in support of the Typhoon QRA jets, but also available to the Hercules.  Another of the type operates the regular airbridge to and from the Falklands. Voyager is making a major contribution to Operation Shader, offloading fuel to RAF F35s and Typhoons, and a variety of Coalition jets, including US Marine Corps Harriers and F/A-18 Hornets.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/voyager/

Edited by KeithMacdonald
Found the answer

On 28/08/2021 at 17:16, The Johnster said:

Currently following a USAF Bombadier E-11A circling 33.500 feet over Kabul; it's got CIA electronic surveillance mission written all over it!  Departed Abu Dhabi 16.57 local, destination N/A, airboune 4 hours 10mins. 

Interesting.  If you don't hear from me again, the Men In Black have taken me away.  Circling over a point to the north of the city centred Bagram.  Rather surprised FR24 are tracking!

To go back to this. I think that if this was really a black mission then the transponder would be off, so rendering the aeroplane invisible to a SSR (Secondary surveillance radar). The machine would still be visible to a primary radar though. 

Especially for @Ron Ron Ron?

An all-white unmarked A320 is on its way back from the Sigonella Military Airport (Sicily)

https://www.flightradar24.com/MTO747/28f7aeb9

https://heston.aero/fleet/airbus-a320-ly-vut

Looks like Kam-Air is back in business.

KMF4470 / YA-KMU

https://www.flightradar24.com/KMF4470/28f7d82f

Already spotted by Ron Ron Ron : KMF4466 / YA-KMH

https://www.flightradar24.com/KMF4466/28f7da3e

I have to say, "Plane Spotting" this way is a lot easier than "Train Spotting" used to be (when I were a lad).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

To go back to this. I think that if this was really a black mission then the transponder would be off, so rendering the aeroplane invisible to a SSR (Secondary surveillance radar). The machine would still be visible to a primary radar though. 

You can’t see ordinary / legacy SSR ( Mode A + Mode C ) radar returns on these tracking sites either and never will, unless they can get a live radar feed.

On the other thread, I mentioned that military aircraft use a different type of transponder, not visible to non- friendly forces  (or Joe Public) when in the more secure modes. That’s why the combat aircraft are not visible on tracker sites in the theatre of operations.

If we are seeing the E11A on tracker sites like FR24, it’ll either be deliberate or by omission on the part of the pilots.

5 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

IIRC it is possible to fit an adaptor, but I can't for the life of me remember the details. I'm sure someone else can.

That’s only to provide a hose and drogue basket on the end of a flying boom, as on the USAF tankers, to allow aircraft fitted with a refuelling probe to use those tankers.

Hose  and drogue tankers like the RAF’s can’t be fitted with anything that can poke an aircraft that relies on the tanker making the connection.

In this case, the Voyager was supporting either RAF fighters, or USN or Marines off the carrier(s) stationed in the Arabian Sea.

USN C130’s have also been knocking around in the Gulf and I suspect they’re of the KC 130 variety.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, 55020 said:

Wilmington, Delaware probably has more aircraft registered there than anywhere else. 

Somewhere over 10000 apparently.

22 hours ago, 55020 said:

It's because local legislation allows business to effectively hide ownership of aircraft through a "Trust" company.  I suspect Sandy Wings is one such trust!  Or it might just be a simple leasing company. 

https://www.delawaretrust.com/aircraft-owner-trusts/

There is no doubt that N196PA is operated by Pheonix, along with Gulfstreams 163, 164, 165, 170, 171, 173, 184, 185, 186, 189, 190, 192, 193, 197, 198.  All in the same NxxxPA sequence.

Another company called C2D LLC is listed as the owner of 186 and 197. It's address is, you've guessed it, the same as Sandy Wings LLC.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

IIRC it is possible to fit an adaptor, but I can't for the life of me remember the details. I'm sure someone else can.

There’s no adapter. They’re either one or the other.

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Another company called C2D LLC is listed as the owner of 186 and 197. It's address is, you've guessed it, the same as Sandy Wings LLC.

It looks as if at least 10 aircraft operated by Phoenix Air are registered under five different names in the same building. Very useful if you don't want direct links to your activities like one recently being used in the 'Extradition' of a wanted person with drug cartel links in Central America.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Somewhere over 10000 apparently.

These trusts are typical for many US registered aircraft. Some might recall the Emilio Sala accident. The Malibu in that accident was trust ‘owned’ and getting to the bottom of who owned it and authorised it’s use, has caused significant issues in the legal repercussions of the accident.

Edited by PMP
  • Informative/Useful 1

Do people from Siberia choose strange places to go for their summer holidays? S7 Airlines (a.k.a. JSC Siberia Airlines) just took off from Qurgonteppa in Tajakistan, just over the northern border with Afghanistan.

https://www.flightradar24.com/SBI6476/28f8837b

Tbilisi in Georgia seems to be a favourite stop-over for charter flights to & from Kulob, also in Tajakistan, just over the northern border with Afghanistan. 

@Ron Ron Ron's plain white A320 is there now, and this A321 just took off from there as well.

https://www.flightradar24.com/HFM325/28f87f13