Bemo Ge 4/4

JZ

If anyone out there has a Bemo Ge 4/4, could you help me please.

I am after the dimensions of the chassis, length and width. Looking to use the chassis under a HOn3 diesel.

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

Which one, mk1, 2 or 3?

There is a 2 on ebay, but really doesn't matter. I just need to see what will fit into the body I have.

2 hours ago, JZ said:

There is a 2 on ebay, but really doesn't matter. I just need to see what will fit into the body I have.

As Njee says it does matter as all three RhB Ge4/4 variants are different. The Swiss loco wheel arrangement notation is a weak system, such that a Ge 4/4 can be any narrow gauge electric B-B or Bo-Bo loco of any size or shape 

• RMweb Premium

Amusingly I think that’s actually a Ge4/4 iii, but the FO/MGB variant, which I think is common with the RhB Ge4/4 ii, and nothing at all like the much more common RhB Ge4/4 iii. I don’t have one, so I’m no help!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, JZ said:

If anyone out there has a Bemo Ge 4/4, could you help me please.

I am after the dimensions of the chassis, length and width. Looking to use the chassis under a HOn3 diesel.

Sorry I don’t have that loco but the main dimensions can be found on the net for the loco.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furka–Oberalp-Bahn_Ge_4/4_III

The Bemo chassis block is a tight fit inside the body so if you scale it and subtract a mm each side and end that’s going to be pretty close. The block almost goes to the roof with only 3-5mm clearance as there are contacts on top for the pantographs. 
When re-gauging the wheels they must be pulled or pushed straight, do not twist them to move them as the axle is splined and it will destroy the plastic leaving you with wobbly or loose wheels. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JZ said:

So the ii, as that is the one I am looking at on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224465859032

If you only want it for the chassis, I humbly suggest you don't buy the one on ebay.

You will find cheaper options elsewhere, eg Contikits, who have both HOm and some of the older HOe 9mm gauge BEMO locos which may suit your project. These are cheap as few people want the HOe BEMO these days as the 9mm gauge is unrealistic for RhB, FO etc

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Gordonwis said:

If you only want it for the chassis, I humbly suggest you don't buy the one on ebay.

You will find cheaper options elsewhere, eg Contikits, who have both HOm and some of the older HOe 9mm gauge BEMO locos which may suit your project. These are cheap as few people want the HOe BEMO these days as the 9mm gauge is unrealistic for RhB, FO etc

Just had a look at their list and nothing available at the moment. The only issue I can see with 9mm wheelsets, is there may not be the length of axle to widen the gauge to 10.5mm. Whereas it is easy to narrow the gauge with 12mm sets.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JZ said:

Just had a look at their list and nothing available at the moment. The only issue I can see with 9mm wheelsets, is there may not be the length of axle to widen the gauge to 10.5mm. Whereas it is easy to narrow the gauge with 12mm sets.

Don't worry about that, they are not different wheel sets, same wheels and axles just different spacing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JZ said:

That's odd, the reason I posted the information is that I had just checked the Contikits lists. There were a number of Swiss ng BEMO Ge4/4 locos listed, 9 in HOm and 1 or 2 in HOe, notably a BEMO 1260 for £85

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, njee20 said:

Amusingly I think that’s actually a Ge4/4 iii, but the FO/MGB variant, which I think is common with the RhB Ge4/4 ii, and nothing at all like the much more common RhB Ge4/4 iii. I don’t have one, so I’m no help!

Just a bit of info, It is a 4/4iii as you say but a Tunnellok, (I have photos of them running on the RhB as they borrowed them while the tunnel was being finished I think), it’s technically a development of the RhB 4/4ii and shorter than their 4/4iii just to confuse things further ;) 
As hinted above,

G means narrow gauge

e = electric,

4/4 means 4 axles / 4 powered

What follows is just a sequential model number. It tells you nothing about the size, style or company which is what caused the initial confusion ;)

The common name for these to identify them is Tunnellok as they were for the opening of the Furka base tunnel. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

That's odd, the reason I posted the information is that I had just checked the Contikits lists. There were a number of Swiss ng BEMO Ge4/4 locos listed, 9 in HOm and 1 or 2 in HOe, notably a BEMO 1260 for £85

Didn't see them , but will take another look. In a bit of a hurry earlier.

21 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Found it now. Will enquire later. Just need to do some sums for whether it will fit. I have 28.5mm clearance in the body.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1