Progress on Yeovil

Laurie2mil

• RMweb Gold

Not wishing to clog up your inspiring thread, I have rounded up what photos and spotting log pages there are in Dad's archive (there could be more log pages, but I only searched for those that were identified by photos taken on those days) and put them in an album at 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

What else can I say, Ian, but - beautiful work, thank you very much.  The Pen Mill end slowly develops and gains prominence: although initially very much an opportunistic "add-on" it will provide a very different (and very attractive if I can maintain Ian and Alisdair's standards) scene and operation to balance those of the Town station at the other end, and the lines going off through the Yeo valley.

Thank you too to Phil Sutters for posting your Dad's logs and photos: I have seen some of the pictures before but some are new to me, and every new photo shows some new detail - and more is visible on the less severely cropped photos in the gallery under your own ID.  Much appreciated.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2023 at 14:31, Ian Smith said:

This post simply contains a couple of photos of Pen Mill signal box in its current state :

36.JPG.6c9dbeea4900560e609cfc6dab55c2fe.JPG

37.JPG.3ec0caa46bcf57fa9f4e03a172c4b0a9.JPG

The next task is to complete the interior of the box (instrument shelf mainly).  The exterior still needs the safety bars fitting across the windows, and the down pipes from the guttering.

Thanks for looking.

Ian

Very nice work indeed - it must be tiny in 2mm scale!  I have always been attracted these small, early GWR boxes and they were commonly seen along the length of the Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth lines to both Weymouth and Salisbury.  There were two small signal boxes at Maiden Newton until the 1880s and I assume - there being no photographs that I know of - that they were of this style.  There was also a small signal box at Dorchester at the Yeovil end of the down platform, until circa 1912 and again I assume that it was of this style there being no photos showing it.  These were the first signal boxes to be provided on the W,S & W and were replaced over the years as facilities were extended and enlarged. I believe that the Frome North Signal Box - formerly Frome Mineral Branch - was the last to remain and fortunately is now preserved at Didcot Railway Centre.

Gerry

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Very nice work indeed - it must be tiny in 2mm scale!

Thanks Gerry.  Yes, it is quite small - a footprint of 30mm x 24mm (1.25” x 1”).

These small boxes are personal favourites of mine too, I much prefer the earlier small paned windows.  This particular one being a “type 2”, which photographically seem to be quite rare (excepting the preserved one at Didcot).

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think having the signal box name on two lines was completely unknown.  Camperdown Junction (Dundee) for example, although a large box, had the name boards on the end with 'Junction' below 'Camperdown' on one deep board and I'm sure I've seen photos of others.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

That’s lovely work Ian

17 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Well, "Yeovil Pen Mill (South) Signal Box" is finished (apart from adding a nameplate), although "Yeovil Pen Mill (South) Signal Box" on a single plate won't fit the space available!!  Therefore, I need to ask Laurie what he feels might be a suitable alternative - I can't remember ever seeing a signal box plate being shown that had two lines of wording (but then not many locations would have needed that anyway!!)  Anyway, for now I'm not going to do anything.

Anyway, the previous instalment left me with just detailing to do really.  So in short, the interior has been dealt with - an instrument shelf added behind the front windows, an armchair added with a driver/fireman sitting in it having a conversation with the "bobby" who has a cup of tea in his hand.  None of which is particularly visible even when the internal lighting is lit!!

The down pipes have been added - from the poor photographic evidence we have I couldn't really tell where these were so I've put one near the front right corner and one near the rear left corner.  The pipes themselves are bent up pieces of 0.5mm diameter nickel silver wire.  The fixings are from a doubled up loop of thin copper wire, the ends of which being twisted together and the whole soldered in place on the pipe, the twisted tail then fits in a suitable hole in the wall/framing of the box (having first threaded on a small patch of 0.010" plasticard to represent a wooden block fixed to the wall to which the downpipe fixing could be screwed).  Once fitted in place, the roof was offered up and any excess pipe carefully filed off so that the gap between gutter and top of pipe was minimal.

With the interior detail added, the roof was permanently attached with canopy glue (used because it dries reasonably quickly but isn't as instant as superglue would be).  Once dry, the flashing around the chimney stack was added and painted in light grey.

One (of the many) details that we are unsure of is whether there was any sort of extension on the non-step end of the box - the large scale maps of Yeovil Pen Mill that Laurie shared with me seem to show that the box footprint was not a simple rectangle, but there was a (varying size, depending on the map) extension of some kind at the rear left corner.  I elected to offer Laurie a choice (neither of which could be right!) of a small coal bunker or a wooden lean to privy/store.  Both of which have a small peg on their bottoms which engage in a hole in the signal box base to provide a positive location.  The coal bunker I constructed as a brick extension (although because the only embossed brick plasticard I have is English Bond, I had to make the walls 1.5mm thick so that the headers on the outside face would be sensible.  I decided to give the bunker a corrugated roof.  The privy/store was constructed to be a wooden construction rather like a shed (again with a corrugated roof).  The door has 0.005" hinges fitted, and a latch handle from a bit of fine bent wire with a thumb lever from a flattened piece of the same.

Finally, a few photos of the finished item ...

37a.JPG.fa8ae1ed78f89531b126a2940d58a353.JPG

38.JPG.41a7e5a2a8d825a536af3ccd4e7b98cc.JPG

39.JPG.429bcb2f1631db419f5e6943790bdb32.JPG

40.JPG.f9d553074a87f11f22c3d9855900716c.JPG

41.JPG.7fc5d00e44c28f9e3e3892b95e0bfabc.JPG

42.JPG.e736ec0d8666ce68c369ea60a507873e.JPG

43.JPG.317e6892b3474da2a038422241722d3e.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Ian

That’s lovely work Ian. I admire how you’ve managed to get the windows looking just right as it’s an aspect I’ve really struggled with (quite besides the rest). 

Bob

• Thanks 1

On 17/09/2023 at 09:51, DLT said:

Stunning piece of work Ian, especially as on my screen, its the size on a 7mm model!

Thank you.  On my screen it's the same.  The actual building has a footprint of 32mm x 24mm - I should have included a suitable coin of the realm in the photos 😆

• Like 4

I love your work Ian.

I'm a building designer (architectural design draftsman) by trade. One of my pet peeves is not getting the detailing right. Modellers tend to take short cuts with structures. Not here.

A suitably fine structure for Laurie's fine layout.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Good to see Ian Smith at NMAG's Christmas meeting - especially as he brought up his beautiful Pen Mill South signal box.  Never mind the width, feel the quality!  It is small (like the real one) but perfectly formed - quite exquisite, complete with signalman and internal light.  It will be a while before it gets bedded in (have to finish the fiddle yard loops and control panels, then the rodding, then ballasting.  But here are a couple of pics of it in situ:IMG_4274.jpg.5620a1144ad8a8957384ad13007fd55d.jpgIMG_4273.jpg.a56a5f239099301d08b02674894fc82e.jpg

Very proud to have one of your models on Yeovil, Ian, thank you very much indeed.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Posted (edited)

My thanks to Don and the others for their encouraging comments and interest.

To round off the saga of the Junction Fiddle Yard, a few words and pics about the control panel and operation of the Junction lines, which are effectively terminus - to - fiddle yard and operate independently from the GWR Weymouth circuit and Durston branch. 

DC, "traditional" control panels (with full route indication and simplicity of circuitry subordinate to flexibility of operation) and block bells might not be everyone's cup of tea but they are mine!  Like the main Yeovil Town (YT) control panel, the Junction Yard (JY) panel can be switched onto any of the 4 controllers at the Fiddle Yard end, and 3-colour LEDS (= 4 with red+green = yellow) show the route selected in the colour of the controller connected.  The JY is a single electrical section despite being fed by both up and down tracks; an up/down route switch and a switch for each storage road operate the points (via a diode/relay/ matrix and servos by Megapoints ) and the LEDs for the route set.  A "Control" switch puts the whole JY onto the end of the up or down track (controlled by the main Yeovil Town panel).  With an operator at each end (Junction Yard and Yeovil Town) trains are driven towards the operator.  The function of the control switch could be taken over by the signalling switches when we get to that stage in future years.

Communication between the 2 operators is modelled closely on the simple block system Peter Denny devised for Buckingham: a bell and push switch, and a knob with lights showing "normal", "line clear" & "train on line") for up and down line trains on each panel, and a much simplified list of bell codes.  The "block controls" are independent of all other electrical switching.

If there is just one operator (which will be the norm - just me most of the time), the JY panel can be effectively "switched out" (route and road switches "off" & Control set to "Yeovil Town"), the route into/out of the JY selected by duplicate switches now added to the Yeovil Town panel (relays prevent major conflicts, such as the route switches being "live" on both panels at the same time).

As well as showing the controller and route selected, the LEDs on the JY panel also indicate which YT controller has the up and down lines, and whether the JY has been electrically switched over to the  YT panel.  To mirror this, the YT panel also has LEDs which indicate whether the JY has been switched over to either the up or down line.

This all sounds rather complicated, but driving a drive a train (in either direction) just requires the JY operator to select the route (up or down), the storage road to depart from or arrive into, and the control to the YT panel - just 3 toggle switches - and if every LED along the route is lit for the colour of the controller in your hand, you're good to go.  The "block instruments" simply save shouting across the room - and, one step closer to the prototype, are a healthy reminder of how the real thing used to work.

So here are some examples of the control panels set for up and down trains.  First, the JY set-up showing the panel, Fiddle Yard with traintable (and the mirror and CCTV camera so you can see what's in it); the panel is showing "line clear" for an Up train departing from Road J, driven by the YT Red Controller:

IMG_4300.jpg.c9ac3e6a175aca876ffa4b6011474745.jpg

And the same settings as seen on the YT panels:

IMG_4305.jpg.02f5094cee6fa7946d4bdead55db5818.jpg

JY panel showing a down train "on line" for Storage Road C, being driven by the Yellow Controller (located at the fiddle yard but plugs into the YT panel):

IMG_4308.jpg.d6967f03d2b9e49e7c90abd790a70971.jpg

And to show the JY panel set for local control, this is the JY panel set for running round on Loop Road D under the fiddle yards' own Blue Controller:

IMG_4310.jpg.47f716eaf8cc16a58275c3ca626ae9b8.jpg

Finally, a couple of short(ish) videos from YouTube, of the sequence at the JY end to drive up and down trains with 2 operators (using the block instruments); and from the YT end, with just a single operator (no block instruments - I'm way off an automatic Crispin!!):   

As ever, happy to share further details if anyone wants them!!

Laurie

Edited by Laurie2mil
Correction of YouTube links
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Thanks, Laurie.  Much easier to follow on the videos!  I hadn't quite appreciated the expanse of your empire!

I take it that Syphon is a 'cripple'!  Also notice several of your locos sport WSLR livery!😁

Jim