Progress on Yeovil

Laurie2mil

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Just watched the video of the fiddle yard: a truly amazing piece of design and engineering!  I have no idea how many hours thinking it all through must have taken, but I don’t think I’ll ever look at a staging area in quite the same light ever again!  Thank you for sharing it in such detail.

And if anyone thinks I’ve lost it over a few hidden sidings - please do watch the video in full, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

very professional looking control panels  Laurie.  It is good to see proper operation. For me it adds a lot to the pleasure of operating. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 09/01/2024 at 01:44, Laurie2mil said:

Most of my own modelling time this year has been spent on the Fiddle Yards...

I always thought you had a screw loose. Now I know you have! 😆

Seriously, that's one hell of a piece of engineering. Wouldn't it have been simpler and cheaper to move the loft ladder, though? 🙂

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Yorkshire Square said:

Seriously, that's one hell of a piece of engineering. Wouldn't it have been simpler and cheaper to move the loft ladder, though? 🙂

@ShadowinLinby has been asking @Laurie2mil the same question for many months. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Just watched those videos through again and besides the excellent controls it is also inspiring just how well the trains run smoothly with no hiccups or bumps.

Don

• Agree 3

On 09/01/2024 at 19:39, 65179 said:

I love the sequence: check hair and make up; ring bellcode; set route!

It's a shaving mirror, Simon.  Don't need it any more!  🙂

17 hours ago, richbrummitt said:
17 hours ago, Yorkshire Square said:

@ShadowinLinby has been asking @Laurie2mil the same question for many months.

We've all got a screw loose, Tony, just different screws in different heads.   @ShadowinLinby is doing Waterloo . . .🙂

35 minutes ago, ShadowinLinby said:

The instruction to leave the loft accessible came from Mrs Laurie. The fact that both Laurie and Mrs Laurie shouldn't really be climbing in to lofts seems to have been ignored. 

In all fairness, there is now more of my stuff in the loft than Mrs Laurie's.

The original intention was for the ladder to be at the edge of the room, between the wall and first roof truss and outside the edge of the baseboards) but when built the ladder unit wouldn't quite fit.  Bringing it one truss further in worked OK in the end and was the least intrusive option - it avoided all the scenic stiff and I could work the fiddle yard round it to avoid all the points.  There was always the hope of having a traintable about there for the Junction lines, and accommodating the loft ladder only meant adding making its deck removable - which the intrinsic drawer runner clips  enable without any extra work at all.

Thank you all again for your supportive (!?🙂) comments.  Re the track and running: I do spend quite a bit of time picking at the track to smooth out the lumps and bumps.  My 0.5mm file is my most-used tool!

Ding-ding!

• Like 10